Anyone adopted while teaching internationally?

Trix18

Anyone adopted while teaching internationally?

Post by Trix18 »

I am a single woman with one child who would be going to the PK at the school where I will teach in China. I have started the process already of adopting a child under 4 from China.

Has anyone had any experience with adoption while teaching overseas, their own or a colleague's?
SparkleMotion

Re: Anyone adopted while teaching internationally?

Post by SparkleMotion »

Are you adopting a special needs child? I was under the impression that single women could only adopt special needs and older
children in China. How are you meeting their requirements for an extensive support network as an expat living there?

Sorry I don’t have any feedback, just wondering about the process.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

Yes. I've done it, as have many others at my school. There's a FB group for expats who are adopting in China, as well as a WeChat group. Highly recommend both of those, especially if no one else at your school has adopted (or adopted recently--it's a very different process than it was 10 years ago).
iblibrarian

Post by iblibrarian »

Yes, I have. I live in Taiwan and adopted domestically here. There's a Facebook group that was a lot of help-- it's called Adoptive Parents Living Abroad. :) Be prepared for your life to be an open book for at least two years. It is very stressful. But our son was worth it!
Trix18

Post by Trix18 »

Thanks for the recommendations! Did you get maternity leave as if you had given birth? I am not eligible until after the first year, but I anticipate the process taking that long (or longer) anyway.

Yes, I would be adopting a special needs child, but what qualifies as special needs is really broad. I haven't done the home study yet. I will be doing it after I arrive. I am hoping to build a support network there. I do also have other family in Asia and parents willing to fly.
iblibrarian

Post by iblibrarian »

Yes, I did get adoption leave the same as maternity leave--but we were already planning to adopt before we joined this school, and that was one of the reasons we signed on. :) Good luck!
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

My school also has adoption leave that is the same as maternity leave.