American at a British school?

kellysensei

American at a British school?

Post by kellysensei »

Quick question - as an American, would I still be considered to work at a British or Australian international school? I will be targeting just three (I think) countries in my job search next year, and if the only opening that comes up in a certain area happens to be at one of those schools, I'd still consider applying...

(FWIW, thought, I have two elementary-age children who'd be enrolled at the same school - is the British curriculum that much different than an American curriculum or the IB program? Should I stick to an American or IB school for my kids' sake?)
Heliotrope

Re: American at a British school?

Post by Heliotrope »

kellysensei wrote:
> Quick question - as an American, would I still be considered to work at a
> British or Australian international school?

Yes.
The British schools I've worked at never really cared where you're from, as long as it's from an English-speaking country.
There might be a few schools that would prefer UK teachers, but most will be more interested in your CV than your nationality.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

While there is a general preference for UK prepared ITs, which grows as you ascend in tiers, many BSs have no issue with appointing US prepared ITs. While SLL levels are different the content among IE curriculum is highly congruent. If you can teach AP X subject you can teach X subject at A levels and IGCSE, what changes is scope and sequence, but nothing you cant do with a few hours of review and study. Whats going to be the issue is if there is a similar UK prepared and credentialed IT and you, the UK IT is probably getting the appointment.
You can if you wish apply for QTS to increase your marketability at those BSs.

The UK NC isnt in any appreciable sense different from the US NC, scope and sequence in reading and literacy is the main difference, meaning you may have missed small aspects moving back into a US system. History doesnt really become an issue until lower secondary as there is more a Europe centric view of world history compared to the greater emphasis on American history in the US NC(the "American revolutionary war" for example isnt really a thing in British or world history, its a footnote in the UK NC). Maths is about the same between US and UK NCs.
kellysensei

Post by kellysensei »

Thank you! Good to know.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

My impression from talking with lots of folks who have worked at both British and American schools overseas has been that as a secondary school teacher you tend to get more contact hours and have more preps in British system schools. Again, this probably varies from school to school, but I've heard it from enough sources that I'm think it may be a trend.

Eion
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

I often wonder this too. I have 4 1/2 years teaching the British Curriculum. I believe as long as you are teaching the Standards, you are ok. Of course, you have to do some research to brush up on unfamiliar topics, but I believe anyone can adapt to a Curriculum, its how you teach the standards that are important. I am glad to read that British Schools are ok with this, as I apply, but never hear and wonder if that is a reason.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

As long as you keep in mind you are teaching to predicated grades at KS3 and 4, that IGCSEs are golden and you will need to support your students and provide extra support on weekends if necessary, and that SOWs can be more nuts and bolts than your regular unit plans, then you'll do fine.

Good teaching is good teaching no matter which system you are teaching in.
McQwaid

Post by McQwaid »

Just a little tip of caution as well - it’s OK to be an American in a British school, but it’s not the greatest fit to be the only American in a British school ;)
GrumblesMcGee

Post by GrumblesMcGee »

McQwaid wrote:
> Just a little tip of caution as well - it’s OK to be an American in a
> British school, but it’s not the greatest fit to be the only American in a
> British school ;)

Yeah, this has me worried.

I looked at some really good British schools this cycle, and got the sense that I'd be a major outlier. As someone who was already an unusual candidate, I felt even more vulnerable in a situation where I went through 25+ faculty profiles and found almost all Brits (and maybe one Canadian or Irish).

Strangely, if not for that, I thought I would've fit in nicely.

A funny thing happened with one such school. I applied to a really cool position that suited me at a posh British school in SE Asia (and the application process was a bear, as they had specialized everything and weren't with ISS), and two days later got a job offer, followed by a second the next day. Once it became clear I was taking one of the jobs, I contacted the British school and politely withdrew my candidacy. They acknowledged my email and wished me the best.

Yesterday I got a boilerplate rejection email from the British school. I haven't responded, but am tempted to throw a little dry British humor at them. I think it's great that *some* schools out there are actually letting ITs know that they're no longer candidates. But "rejecting" someone who withdrew their candidacy, and telling them you'll keep their application on file, is an (accidentally) insulting thing to do.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

shadowjack wrote:
> provide extra support on weekends if necessary

On weekends?!
That's definitely not inherent to British ISs.
None of the British ISs have ever asked this of me, or anyone I know working at various ISs.

Actually, I usually got home earlier from my British schools than from the non-British ones.

There is more prep involved though, as you will teach more different classes. Not sure why British schools do that. I like teaching different ages and topics, but I can do without the extra prep.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Not as a generic, but if you are with a GCSE year group that is strugglling, it is appreciated that you provide some extra sessions. Because you can get several hours on a Saturday, that is often a preferred day. The school did not demand it, or ask it, but if the alternative is poor results from your students because they need some extra time and instruction, SMT is NOT going to eat up the "It's the students' fault..."

If you have a solid year group for your IGCSE, that would not be necessary. Horses for courses, I guess.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

ITs at BSs generally have more preps and more instructional contact hours with fewer preps, but they have less to prepare, there isnt guess work into what the exam boards are, and its very formulaic. There isnt a lot for you to ponder or get creative about. Its not like in an AS where you have a year 7 class and think, "okay I have this textbook and this stuff what do I do with it?"

I wouldnt agree with @McQwaid, thats a preference, there are ITs (US ITs) who loved being the only American in a BS. Ive been in that situation, I didnt mind too much, though I wouldnt say it would be something Id really want to do again.

I concur with @SJ, its all about predicted grades, and while BSs in IE are generally more affluent, and the students and parents better resourced outside of the IS, the its the students performance isnt going to go over well or be well received if you as an IT did nothing outside of the classroom, if it looked like some additional/weekend work was foreseen. Its more an issue though in DSs in England where you have students in need of being pushed.