overseas hire status

SeanMc

overseas hire status

Post by SeanMc »

I have a question about getting 'overseas hire' status at international schools, which I hope you all can help me with.

First, a quick explanation of my situation. I am an American ESL teacher, currently living in Indonesia, interested in becoming an international school teacher for the first time.

The negatives of my candidacy: I have never taught high school, nor do I have a teaching certificate (just have a CELTA).
The positives: I have an MA in economics from an excellent school (Stanford) and I have two years experience teaching at the university level (mathematics), as well as four years experience teaching ESL in Indonesia.

I am currently considering two options for my first job:
A) Take a position as a 'local hire' at an international school here in Indonesia (while working toward certification online), OR
B) Take a position in a high school back in the U.S., preferably a top private school, and work on certification there (probably also online).

My ultimate goal is to get hired as an 'overseas hire' at an international school. Here is my question for you all then -- to become an overseas hire is it necessary to have had teaching experience back in the States? Also is it necessary to get hired while standing on American soil (at a job fair for instance)? Or if I first take this 'local hire' job here, do you think it will be possible to use that experience to later get an 'overseas hire' job at a different school (possibly in a different country), without having ever taught in the U.S.?

Basically I don't want to get permanently tracked on the inferior 'local hire' status (less pay for the same work, it's nuts!). But on the other hand I'd rather not go back home and teach in the U.S. if I can avoid it. I've been very happy living abroad.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer with this!

yours,
Sean McCrossin
ptf

Post by ptf »

No. It isn't necessary to have taught in the states to get hired at an international school.

No. It isn't necessary to be in the US when you get hired to be an overseas hire.

If I was you I would take the job as a local hire and then work on your certification. Most top international schools won't consider someone who isn't certified so make that a priority.
samuraiwriter

Post by samuraiwriter »

How do you plan to get certification online? I think you may have to go to the US to get your teacher certification? If not I am curious about the program you have chosen.
ptf

Post by ptf »

yeah I was curious about that too. In Australia you definitely could not get a teaching qualification online.
scribe

Ask for more....

Post by scribe »

With your education and experience, I am betting you could get hired both as a foreign hire and as an uncertified teacher, at least that is what you should aim for - certainly a school would love to get you for less money, so don't offer that option. Most international schools have a bit of leeway to hire some uncertified people; every school I've been at (all reputable schools with solid credentials) has had some. I've had colleagues with advanced degrees and NO teaching experience come in and do fantastic jobs because they know their subjects so well and were so creative.
While the big recruiting fairs are over in terms of attending to get hired as overseas hire, there are lots of openings remaining. Our school admin came back from the recruiting trail with jobs still unfilled, even after 6 weeks of recruiting. They spoke of 1200 openings in New York and only 340 candidates interviewing. It's an ideal time to push the envelope and get a school to hire you even without certification. Contact schools directly - offer to visit if they're interested enough and you're close enough for it not to be a huge burden. There are numerous places you can get job listings, such as tieonline.com You can probably work on required coursework as you teach and get your certificate to boot. Best of luck.
TexianTravel

Overseas Hire

Post by TexianTravel »

I taught with a woman who was certified in the UK, but because she already happened to be in Saudi Arabia with her husband, got paid the local hire rate. She was quite bitter about it actually. Basically, if the school can classify you as a local hire they will, and it won't matter what your credentials are.

I also taught with a woman who got her certification through an American university, but did her student teaching overseas. I am not quite sure how she managed it.

Whether certification can be managed online or not will depend upon the state certifiying you. Texas, where I am, is so focused on on-campus experiences, I don't think it would be possible to get certification totally online. But probably someone will write and tell me they are doing it.

In any case, you need to check with the certifiying agency of the state you want your certificate from.
markholmes

Post by markholmes »

[quote]I also taught with a woman who got her certification through an American university, but did her student teaching overseas. I am not quite sure how she managed it. [/quote]

Is that a problem? The two universities in my city offer overseas practicums as part of a B.Ed.
JISAlum

Options

Post by JISAlum »

Here are a number of threads you can follow. Mentioned are Western Governer's University & Rio Salado College. I know nothing of these programs though:

http://forums.degreeinfo.com/showthread ... tification
Beemarcus

overseas cert

Post by Beemarcus »

Just before we moved overseas, I finished most of my teacher cert in the states.
Last edited by Beemarcus on Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
SeanMc

Post by SeanMc »

Dear all --

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply my posting. I found your advice quite helpful and encouraging -- I apologize that it's taken me so terribly long to reply in return!

Some of you asked about online certification programs. The two I know of are actually both located in Australia. I have two Australian friends who completed their certifications online (while living here in Indonesia) through Murdoch University (Graduate Diploma in Education), and I have an American friend here who is now doing her Graduate Diploma in Learning and Teaching online through the University of Southern Queensland.

Thanks again for your help, all of you...