getting US teaching license

NatashaM

getting US teaching license

Post by NatashaM »

Hi everyone,
I read several posts about obtaining US teaching license but I'm still unsure if it applies to me and I would appreciate any feedback and tips. I have a Bachelor's degree in secondary education with a concentration in English language and literature from my home country (Serbia). that is basically a teaching degree for English teachers K-12. I also completed my Master's in Curriculum and Instruction from American College of education last year. I have been teaching internationally for 9 years, 4 years in Egypt and 5 in China. I've been teaching at a WASC accredited school for the last five years as an elementary teacher. So my dilemma is if I can get US license without doing TEACHNOW program cause of my work experience?! Is Hawaii my only option as being non US citizen.. Any suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its very possible you could get a US credential without doing Teach No (QTS through AO is also a possibility). There are a number of options, HI is one of them, but there are others. What you need to do at this point is obtain an NACES review of your Serbian degree qualification (which you may have already done for the ACE Masters program), the determining factor is going to be if the NACES evaluation says the Serbian degree is only equivalent to a First/Bachelors degree or if it is ALSO equivalent to a professional edu credential. If its the former than HI wont help you, the only route outside of a EPP/ITT program is going to be the CT experiential pathway, with your experience background you may get a CT provisional (professional grade) credential instead of initial (entry grade) credential. If its the latter than HI and a number of other options become available including the CA CLEAR credential using an intra-reciprocity route with HI.
NatashaM

Re: getting US teaching license

Post by NatashaM »

Thanks PsyGuy for your response. I've looked into QTS but I'm not eligible cause Serbia is not officially part of a European Union. I'm not sure what AO stands for? I've already obtained an NACES review, like you said I needed it for my Masters program. it says: Recommended US Educational equivalency: Bachelor's Degree in secondary education with a concentration in English language and literature from a regionally- accredited institution in higher education in the United States... Credential Details: Diploma of Acquired Higher Education, conferring professional title of Secondary Teacher of the English language and Literature. so i'm not sure if that's the case..
Can you please tell me what are the requirements for getting a CT provisional credential? or share a link if you have it. Do I need to pass Praxis or any other Test?
Thanks again
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@NatashaM

AO = "Assessment Only", its a pathway to obtaining QTS based on a portfolio and observation of your teaching. TES Institute is a global provider as long as your IS teaches the UK NC.

Well the good news is you have a professional edu credential, a Serbian one but its a perfectly valid professional edu credential from your home. You dont really have to do anything, you can simply use what you have. It opens up a lot of opportunities for you to apply for a US credential. Probably the easiest would be to apply through HI for either the standard or advanced credential then either use that to obtain the CA CLEAR credential and or obtain QTS. The other option would be to go through DC which would require some initial PRAXIS exams and a CRB, which would only be appropriate if your goal was the CA CLEAR credential.

There isnt a need for you to go through CT to follow the experiential route to a CT credential, you already have one. At most all you really need to do is clarify your resume to make it clear your a professional edu. Though I could understand the marketability of adding a US and UK credential.
NatashaM

Post by NatashaM »

Great news, thank PsyGuy. My school is not British, we teach American curriculum (common core for ELA). I'm looking at HI site right now to see what the requirements are. I read on this forum before that I need SSN to apply for a license so what steps should I take in order to get one? Anything else I need know or obtain before applying? thanks a lot
NatashaM

Post by NatashaM »

Another quick question: Am i applying for Option D requirements?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@NatashaM

I would apply without the social security number, the reason being that if HI writes that you are required to provide one, then you can use that notification as evidence of need to apply to the social security administration for a social security number for tracking purposes.

You are applying under option D.
NatashaM

Post by NatashaM »

Thanks. I will try to collect all the doc next week and hopefully apply. Do you know how long the process can take, from submitting application to actually receiving a license? Do you know anyone who has received HI license without SSN?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@NatashaM

Yes there have been candidates without a SSN who got a HI credential. It usually takes a few weeks too a month to get the HI review in your account and the notice of what the outcome was, depends on the time of year and ere at the end of the AY, when they get busier. Once you get the notice you can decide whether to pay the fee and have the credential issued.
NatashaM

Post by NatashaM »

Good news. They told me to put all zeros for a SSN so I can apply. I've just completed an application so all I have to do is wait and see. I had to pay 28$ for the application so if anyone is thinking about this option is worth trying. I will let you know the outcome
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@NatashaM

Its good they implemented an application fee, the annual fee is USD$54.
GrumblesMcGee

Post by GrumblesMcGee »

NatashaM wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I read several posts about obtaining US teaching license but I'm still
> unsure if it applies to me and I would appreciate any feedback and tips. I
> have a Bachelor's degree in secondary education with a concentration in
> English language and literature from my home country (Serbia). that is
> basically a teaching degree for English teachers K-12. I also completed my
> Master's in Curriculum and Instruction from American College of education
> last year. I have been teaching internationally for 9 years, 4 years in
> Egypt and 5 in China. I've been teaching at a WASC accredited school for
> the last five years as an elementary teacher. So my dilemma is if I can get
> US license without doing TEACHNOW program cause of my work experience?! Is
> Hawaii my only option as being non US citizen.. Any suggestions and advice
> will be greatly appreciated!

Natasha,

Others on these boards have a much deeper understanding of different programs and licensing paths, but I'll throw in another option.

Given your situation, ABCTE (American Board) might be worth considering. If you're looking to teach in the United States, it can help you in 12 states (each of those states will require a slightly different process for translating the credential into a "license.") You'd have to put up $1,500-$1,900 (their prices fluctuate) and a little effort, but I doubt studying for the exams would be much of a challenge given your education and experience.

ABCTE "certification" for international jobs is a bit odd, as terms like "certified," "licensed," and "credentialed" are often (and incorrectly) used interchangeably. Since most U.S. states don't grant a "license" unless you also have a job, it's tough to get a U.S. license through ABCTE if you're teaching abroad. You would be "certified," and that certification can lead to a license in 12 states--usually with some other paperwork, evaluation, or mentoring process. Some states are much easier than others.

Given that you're already credentialed in Serbia, and have a master's, AND have loads of experience, I'm not sure international schools would quibble over which U.S. certification you hold. If anything, they'd view it as a plus--evidence of both a U.S. credential and your commitment to continued professional development. But it all comes down to what you need and whether or not you can get your current coursework accepted through other paths.
PsyGuy

Disscussion

Post by PsyGuy »

ABCTE isnt a credential, its a qualification, essentially a generic academic EPP/ITT program, that a consortium of states will apply towards meeting the various requirements for a credential from a state regulating authority.

Many US states grant credentials regardless of whether you are employed with an LEA in their jurisdiction. Having an employment offer however can open up additional pathways to obtaining a credential.

Certified is a very generic term that doesnt really mean much, it really just means that some organization has documented some compliance and provided you a verification of those requirements. Its literally little more than saying someone gave you a piece of paper.
NatashaM

Post by NatashaM »

I have fantastic news! I've just received an email from Hawaii Board that my application has been approved and they can issue a standard license. I was hoping to get an Elementary license but they say they can issue only English6-12 cause of my degree. What would be my next step in getting a permanent license or even transferring the one i have to Elementary?
Thanks PsyGuy for your help.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@NatashaM

The only "permenant" license available to you from the US would be the CLEAR credential from CA. You would need to take the PRAXIS CORE exams to meet the Basic Skills requirement and you would have to take the PRAXIS exams for ESOL and the PLT exam, this is in addition to the PRAXIS elementary exam if you wanted to do that. You would have to add these areas (ESOL and Elementary) to your HI teaching credential. You would then request fingerprint cards from CA, have those done and submit your application for the CA application. You will have to wait two years though, as you will need two years experience post receiving the HI credential.

HI doesnt have a permanent credential, the longest they have is the 10 year Advanced credential. You can add elementary to your HI credential, you will need to take two PRAXIS exams. 5622 the PLT exam and the 5001 elementary exam. You then pay a $25 fee in submitting your added endorsement application. The PRAXIS exam is administered globally.

After doing that (or before if you dont want to add the elementary) you can apply for QTS from the TCL/TRA in the UK (England) as an OTT by mutual recognition. QTS is a lifetime credential, that requires no PD (at this time).