getting US teaching license

NatashaM

Re: getting US teaching license

Post by NatashaM »

It seems like getting QTS would be the easiest. My plan is to stay international and probably teacher elementary for next couple of years. What would you recommend? If I do Praxis and add elementary to my HI license, would it make a difference when applying for jobs? Is getting CLEAR credential worth it? It sounds like I would have to do a lot of exams...
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@NatashaM

It would be the simplest, but while QTS is not subject and age group specific, you wont have a credential indicating elementary education. The TCL/TRA will put literature in your QTS profile, and while thats not easily accessible, your HI public profile will say the same. If thats all you care about though, you can be done now (once HI issues the standard, professional grade credential). Apply for QTS that gets you a recognized western credential, and you dont even need to maintain the HI credential.

If you add primary to your HI credential it would improve your marketability in applying to primary vacancies in IE. Elementary in HI would be two PRAXIS exams and getting the CA CLEAR credential would be two more (for a total of four) exams. Thats a couple of weekends. You might consider it a lot of tests. CA would also require a CRB, necessitating fingerprints. Is a CLEAR credential from CA worth it, it depends what you want to do. If you ant a long term US credential that clearly states elementary than transitioning to the CA CLEAR credential is worth it compared to having to maintain the HI credential with PD. If the US credential isnt really appealing to you (since you have QTS) than its probably not worth maintaining the HI or CA credential. You have 5 years (the length of time of the HI credential) to take the elementary PRAXIS exams (thats two exams), add the elementary endorsement and add it to your QTS profile.
Rafaelchick1

Post by Rafaelchick1 »

@NatashaM or anyone with knowledge of the Hawaii application.

Did you have to submit proof of a current license? I also have an out-of-country credential. It was NACES evaluated and I am thinking of applying to Hawaii. My degree is from within 5 years and I have 3 years of experience at a WASC accredited school abroad. I'm just wondering in addition to the evaluation, transcripts, and verification of work experience, if you also have to have a current license. Mine recently lapsed. Thanks!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Rafaelchick1

You can apply under option E for the standard (professional grade) credential, as long as your credential has been expired for less than 2 years.
Rafaelchick1

Post by Rafaelchick1 »

@Psyguy
Thanks, I submitted everything this morning. It expired a few months ago and I added a 2 year extension (but still provisional). I'm not liking how that looks, so hoping to hear back from Hawaii soon. I need this before end of July.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Rafaelchick1

You may end up getting the HI Provisional (entry grade) credential.
Rafaelchick1

Post by Rafaelchick1 »

@Psyguy

That would not be ideal. I'm not sure what to do though otherwise. I need a cert asap. Is there anything faster or if I end up with the provincial license, is there a way to move to standard? I have been teaching the last 3 years in a WASC accredited school on my provisional and I have a bachelor of education degree from within 4 years.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Rafaelchick1

A provisional credential is a fully valid credential that authorizes instructional services.
Faster, no the HI process is one of the fastest, QTS is slightly faster but you arent eligible without a professional grade credential.
You could standardize, but not before July, its possible you could do so by the end of summer.
Rafaelchick1

Post by Rafaelchick1 »

@Psyguy
I just got issued my Standard License from Hawaii!!! Thanks for the help. Submitted on the 2nd and today, the last day of school (June 7th), I received the confirmation and made the payment! What a relief!
NatashaM

Post by NatashaM »

Rafaelchick1 wrote:
> @Psyguy
> I just got issued my Standard License from Hawaii!!! Thanks for the help. Submitted
> on the 2nd and today, the last day of school (June 7th), I received the confirmation
> and made the payment! What a relief!
Congrats. Great news. I have also applied for QTS and they have finally approved it, it took a bit longer than getting a Hawaii license.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Its a process to get QTS without the need for induction, but its a lot easier and cost efficient compared to doing AO or another QTS route.
yourwind

Post by yourwind »

Hi I have bachelor degree in engineering, master of education + PGCEi.
3 years of teaching experiences (2 years 10 month if exclude the last summer holidays) in school and 2 years teaching experiences in tuition center (last 5 years)
But most of the teaching experiences is before my PGCEi/Master of education. Not sure if i can count these prior-qualifications experiences and also those in tuition center

Am I eligible to apply Hawaii Standard Credentials? If so, under which option?
If not, any other way to apply US credentials now (besides taking teach-now)?
Understand the rules is changing very fast, so i am quite confused which is the best possible way now.

Thanks.
chemteacher101

Post by chemteacher101 »

NatashaM wrote:
> Thanks PsyGuy for your response. I've looked into QTS but I'm not eligible
> cause Serbia is not officially part of a European Union. I'm not sure what
> AO stands for? I've already obtained an NACES review, like you said I
> needed it for my Masters program. it says: Recommended US Educational
> equivalency: Bachelor's Degree in secondary education with a concentration
> in English language and literature from a regionally- accredited
> institution in higher education in the United States... Credential Details:
> Diploma of Acquired Higher Education, conferring professional title of
> Secondary Teacher of the English language and Literature. so i'm not sure
> if that's the case..
> Can you please tell me what are the requirements for getting a CT
> provisional credential? or share a link if you have it. Do I need to pass
> Praxis or any other Test?
> Thanks again

Natasha, can I ask what NACES evaluator did you use? I have an undergraduate in education with a specific concentration which I had evaluated through WES, but they did not include that "Credential Details" aspect which is a pain!
chemteacher101

Post by chemteacher101 »

Rafaelchick1 wrote:
> @NatashaM or anyone with knowledge of the Hawaii application.
>
> Did you have to submit proof of a current license? I also have an
> out-of-country credential. It was NACES evaluated and I am thinking of
> applying to Hawaii. My degree is from within 5 years and I have 3 years of
> experience at a WASC accredited school abroad. I'm just wondering in
> addition to the evaluation, transcripts, and verification of work
> experience, if you also have to have a current license. Mine recently
> lapsed. Thanks!

Can I ask what NACES evaluator did you use and what was your result? Thanks!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@yourwind

No, none of those meet the requirements of completing an EPP/ITT or having a credential. Hi would want to see QTS. A masters in edu and a PGCEi wont cut it, unless you can find a NACES evaluator that will stipulate the PGCEi is a credential such as using the Masters to get some equivalent of a credential from another region (where a masters is the working credential for a DT) and then have that evaluated by an NACES evaluator.

You could do Teach Ready and use that to get a HI provisional credential if field experience is an issue for you. Otherwise the MA Provisional (entry grade) credential requires only a couple exams.