Partner to get into teaching as a foreign language teacher

chiliverde

Partner to get into teaching as a foreign language teacher

Post by chiliverde »

I am a well established teacher with 15 years experience in international schools, teaching cert, masters, etc. My husband, an EU citizen with masters degrees in business and journalism, is going through a bit of a career crisis of sorts - the sad reality of journalism. We are considering a career change for him to teaching, and he would be starting from practically zero. Since he is a French citizen, the most realistic option would be as a French language teacher in an international school. Any idea what the standard qualification is for this, both from a visa and school hiring standpoint? There is a French Masters of Education that wouldn't be hard to get, and we are hoping that that plus some relevant classroom experience might be enough to make us attractive as a teaching couple. But maybe that's not qualification enough. We are living in Bangkok, which seems like as good a place as any to get SOME kind of classroom experience for him to put on his resume.

It's definitely daunting for him to consider such a career change, and as we know the challenges that come with teaching, not something we are taking lightly. Unfortunately, there seems to be no real way to "dip your toe" in the water when you are 35 with kids.

Any and all advice would be welcome.
Thames Pirate

Re: Partner to get into teaching as a foreign language teach

Post by Thames Pirate »

It sounds like you have a solid plan. If he can do something like run the school newspaper or teach some journalism and/or creative writing classes as well, that's a bonus. I know the market is saturated with English and/or lit teachers, but having real world experience to go with the degree is also a huge plus. So if he can get a dual cert, that would be good. Also French Lang A would be good.
chiliverde

Post by chiliverde »

Thanks, Thames. I also notice a lot of job postings ask for "certification/qualification." I fully support this and would never want to undermine our profession, but to get French QTS would involve moving back to France and starting in a 3 year teaching program... just unrealistic for someone at this stage of life. I know there are other online options for English speakers, but am wondering what would count for a French citizen.
jdurey

Post by jdurey »

Just my two cents, but given his background, why wouldn't he be interested in teaching Business at a secondary level? He may have more options if he were certified in Business as well as French Language. If he did the Teach-Now program he would be able to earn a US certification within a year, regardless of his citizenship.