Reapplying at a school

wander

Reapplying at a school

Post by wander »

I will be looking to leave my current school after the 2019-2020 school year. There is one country that I am extremely interested in living in South America. However, there are only a couple of schools there that pay a salary that would allow me to save significant money. One of those schools I interviewed with a few years ago. I did 3 interviews via Skype (2 with the section principal, 1 with the director), but they ended up hiring someone at the AASSA Fair (I did not attend).

Does anyone have experience reapplying at a school that has interviewed you in the past but passed? I frequently vacation in this country. Would it be strange to mention in my cover letter that I will be there over certain dates and could meet in person?

A little about me:
Male
Master's Degree in Educational Administration
15 years in primary education
7 years in international teaching (2 schools)
Thames Pirate

Re: Reapplying at a school

Post by Thames Pirate »

No experience with that, but I think your chances are as good as anybody's or as good as anywhere else. After all, directors, if they are worth their salt, should recognise that you are always making choices based on the information, options, and place in your life at any given moment and that where you are now is different from where you were then.
beanie

Post by beanie »

I have reapplied and been successful at a school that I had previously applied to. The first time around the school was interested enough to conduct multiple interviews, but in the end I got the standard "you're a strong candidate, but not the match we are looking for at this time".
A few years later I applied again (with a bit more specific experience to the role) and was interviewed by the same principal (who remembered me) and was hired.

I don't think it would be out of the ordinary to mention that you will be in the country and could meet/see the school etc. In my second cover letter I mentioned right away that I had applied previously, but that I was a stronger candidate now because of blahblahblah.
mamava

Post by mamava »

My husband and I interviewed at our current school twice. The first time my husband interviewed as an administrator and me as a teacher. The 2nd time we applied both as teachers--and I applied for the same job as I had the first time, and we were hired. We interviewed both times with the same people, too.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

As long as the previous interviews ended positively, than you should have no problem reapplying and receiving full consideration. You just apply again through whatever process the IS has.

I wouldnt put it in the cover letter, its very difficult to schedule this type of interview unless they have a vacancy and are recruiting at the same time that you will be traveling there, and if thats the case. Discuss it separately in an email or conversation once they have shown a favorable response to your application.
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

I've heard numeral accounts where reapplying at a school resulted in a job. Sometimes because of more experience, sometimes new leadership doing the recruiting, sometimes just a better interview. There's no harm in trying to reapply. Best of luck!