Rent in the Hague

twoteachers

Rent in the Hague

Post by twoteachers »

Who can give me some real numbers on a 3bedroom flat in the Hague? It would not be city center ...more like Escamp or Loosduinen..
Heliotrope

Re: Rent in the Hague

Post by Heliotrope »

Have a look here for the whole of The Hague: https://www.funda.nl/en/huur/den-haag/
Or here for the Loosduinen area: https://www.funda.nl/en/huur/den-haag/kom-loosduinen/

There are cheaper ones to be found probably, but you would need to be in-country for some of those, and not have a deadline - finding affordable housing in The Netherlands takes time, as there's not a lot available.

You can also inquire with the school if any of the departing teachers is leaving behind nice accommodation that might be able to rent after they vacate.

If you plan to stay long-term, you could also consider to buy, and pocket the rent. Pretty good chance your house will go up in value during your stay.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

About EUR€1900/mth, more if you want things like views, etc your looking at closer to EUR€2500/mth. I would otherwise concur with @Heliotrope, unless there is a departing IT whose apartment/flat you can take over or the IS is going to put in some serious work for you (and absorb some of the costs) its going to take you a while to get anything affordable.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

Don't go for a €1,900 rent, totally unnecessary, and it's easy to get something really good for a lot cheaper.
For under €1,500 you can easily find something, and even under €1,000 shouldn't be very hard.
The Hague doesn't have a lot of residential high-rises, so I wouldn't go for a view but rather a convenient neighbourhood.

Here's the map with all the 3BR places for under €1500, all over the city:
https://www.funda.nl/en/kaart/huur/den- ... 7499999989
These are all the listings of about 80-90% of all Dutch real estate agents.
There are also many places available from private landlords that don't use agents to let their properties, and those are sometimes significantly cheaper, but as an expat the agents are the easiest way to go of course, especially if you don't have a lot of time.

Another similar website that has lots of listings is this one (with all 3BRs under €1500): https://www.jaap.nl/huurhuizen/zuid+hol ... age/0-1500
There's overlap with the other site I linked to, but some places only get listed on one of the two, so check 'em both.

Good luck!
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

twoteachers

Post by twoteachers »

Thanks so much Heliotrope!! I now have my homework...
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

You should also be able to look at things like groceries (including delivery), public transport, etc. to get a clear picture of cost of living. Albert Hejin, Marqt, Spar are a few grocery chains. HTM (public transport) has a good English website. I know it's a bit off topic, but it can be helpful to get a clearer picture of your budget.
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

1900/mth??!! Noooooo way!!
My ex-HOD works & lives in The Hague now, and has a 4 bedroom apartment for 1200 per month, in a really great neighbourhood (I visited), a lazy 10 minute bike ride from his school.
He used that Funda website if I remember correctly, and it didn't take him very long. Since then he had opportunities to move to cheaper places (1000 or so) but didn't want to go through the trouble and likes his house too much to move out.

A friend of his chose to live in nearby Scheveningen, so he can walk his two dogs on the beach every day. They're 2 minutes from the beach and pay less, but not sure how many rooms they have. He drives to school though, it's about a 5 mile commute.

Great city, highly recommend!
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

Illiane_Blues wrote:
> Great city, highly recommend!

Agree.
And you don't have to deal with the hordes of tourists that Amsterdam gets.
Plus you can get to Amsterdam by train in 50 minutes. Leiden is also beautiful, which is right next to The Hague.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Yeah, €1900/mth
Illiane_Blues

Re: Comment

Post by Illiane_Blues »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Yeah, €1900/mth

Troll alert!!
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

Yes @Illiane, fairly dumb trolling, since the posted link will show anyone that there are currently 91 3BRs in The Hague you can rent for €1,500/month or less (and 50 of those are under €1,250/month). And then some more on the other site (Jaap) that aren't on Funda. But whatever, if he wants to troll, he may do so. Too bad he's telling lies while doing it, but luckily that's very obvious to anyone.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Sure, still €1900
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Well, at least he keeps things entertaining. And keeps threads active since he apparently can't stand it when he doesn't have the most recent post on at least 50% of all threads.
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

Thames Pirate wrote:
> he apparently can't stand it when he doesn't have the most recent
> post on at least 50% of all threads.

Yeah, noticed that too. A bit sad.