Questions Regarding Teacher Ready Program

SideOut

Questions Regarding Teacher Ready Program

Post by SideOut »

Hi everyone,

New forum member here. I'm an American currently teaching abroad who is enrolled in the Teacher Ready program. Prior to enrolling in this program I did a lot of research on this website and others regarding the best path to certification for someone in my position, and while not perfect, Teacher Ready seemed to be the best fit. I've been teaching abroad for a number of years and prefer to continue doing so while studying (not interested in a 1-2 year move back home to study). While I have no plans in the immediate future to teach in the U.S., at least having the option to do so would be somewhat comforting. Also, upon receiving my teaching certificate, my plan is to apply for QTS, since it is a lifetime qualification.

The course itself is going smoothly and isn't particularly difficult, which is part of the reason that I'm starting to have some doubts. For example, they don't give any grades on your coursework. All of the assignment feedback I've received so far has felt very generic. I'm assuming, perhaps wrongly so, that the other students in my cohort have received exactly the same feedback. You're allowed to retake quizzes and tests, with only the highest score being recorded. These things have somewhat cheapened the value of the course in my mind, to the point where I want to put my mind at ease before I continue on with the next module. Basically, I want to make sure that I'm not wasting my money, and that I will be employable both in the U.S. and with international schools after receiving my teaching certificate.

1. Will a Florida state certification obtained through the Teacher Ready programs qualify for reciprocity with every state that offers reciprocity to Florida certificates? Or, will the fact that it was earned through an alternate route mean that some states that normally offer reciprocity with Florida certificates might not in this case?

2. Will a Florida state certification obtained through the Teacher Ready program definitely make me eligible for QTS?

3. Any success stories out there of people who have completed this program and are now teaching in the U.S./internationally? Do you feel you are as eligible for jobs as people who have taken a traditional path to teaching certification?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help to answer my questions. This forum has a wealth of information and has been incredibly helpful so far.
Doctor

Re: Questions Regarding Teacher Ready Program

Post by Doctor »

I did TeacherReady and as far as coursework being evaluated, as I recall the last module requires you to plan and teach a lesson with a mentor evaluating your performance - that's like an assessment. Also don't forget the exams you'll need to pass, which is another three assessments.

I can't speak to QTS but I did use my Florida state license to teach in Indiana for a year, albeit on an emergency license. Mostly I did the course to get a license to register with UNI and Search Associates and it worked just fine for that.

IMHO TeacherReady was definitely worth the time and money.
SideOut

Post by SideOut »

Doctor,

Thank you for your quick reply. I'm glad to hear that Teacher Ready has worked out well for you. Yes, you are correct that the last module requires a 5 day observation by the mentor teacher.

A bit off topic, but how did you find the FTCE tests? Looking at the annual pass rates online, they dropped significantly after the tests were revamped in 2015.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

In direct reply to your inquiries:

1) FL does not differentiate between skills based pathways and academic pathways to credentialing. You have the same professional grade certificate as any other FL edu. However, mutual recognition is determined by individual regulating authorities, some of them will not recognize non-academic pathways to a credential or will issue a more limited, restricted (lower grade) credential. This is an issue with the skills based pathway in general and is not focused on Teach Ready specifically. A co-factor in this issue is teaching experience post credentialing. However, what you are experiencing is very typical of the vast majority of skills based pathways, they are focused on mastery of of professional education content not on how long it takes you to obtain it, or how well you reflected about it on your first attempt. Their goal is to get everyone past the finish line, the time, place, etc. do not matter.

2) Yes, once you receive the professional credential you will be eligible for full QTS.

3) If you know the subject material the FTCE isnt that difficult. Typically problems are a result of test takers who are reaching beyond their level of competence, and are hoping to get by based on psychometric navigation or they stress themselves out and over think the test.
Tyshine

Post by Tyshine »

I went through the Teacher Ready program and know of many (at least 5) international teachers who did the program. Yes, it was easy. I took all the tests before the program started and had no issue. However, I don't think the training program you take determines whether or not you will be a good teacher. Just be thankful its cost effective and quick, and if you feel its not enough get a masters (from a different program). That's what I did.
SideOut

Post by SideOut »

PsyGuy,

Thank you for the detailed reply. That's great news about being eligible for QTS. Since the application is free and quick, it seems like a no brainer to apply. I plan on maintaining a valid U.S. qualification in the future, but having QTS as well would just add peace of mind.

Tyshine,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Yes, the program seems quite easy so far. Most of what the modules have been focused on so far I've learned through experience during the past 10 years that I've been teaching (not the correct order to go about things, I admit). I do think the course would be very helpful for someone who hasn't spent any time in a classroom, though. That's good advice about pursuing further education after TR.
kaligezi

Post by kaligezi »

Hi SideOut,

My partner and I completed the TR program a few years ago. We were teaching internationally prior to that time, and our education and certifications included CELTAs and Master's degrees, which were sufficient for where we were teaching at that point. However, we knew that if we wanted to teach elsewhere internationally, it may be necessary to get licensed in order to be viable candidates.

We felt similarly about the course, though I think it would be more engaging for those who have not had a lot of training in education already. I will say that the final module with the field experience was useful in that my mentor was given very useful and specific areas to evaluate and focus on, which both of us benefited from. The other thing I think is worth pointing out is that I did not think TR prepared us in any way for the FTCE at all. I highly recommend you study for them beforehand using materials that others on the FB TR group suggest - many people do not pass the first time. I found the tests/questions themselves intentionally vague and almost deceptive, and certainly not practicing test creation strategies that teachers would actually use.

All that said, I do feel that TR was useful for us: we definitely could not have gotten the jobs we have right now without them. In terms of reciprocity with other states, I do not have personal experience trying to convert my license to any other state. However, I know that each state has its own requirements and you would have to look at the specifics for the state you are interested in.

I would love to hear more about using this license as a springboard to QTS. Would someone need to be British to do this?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@kaligezi

No, you do not need to be British or English to obtain QTS in England. The TCL grants QTS to those ITs/DTS trained overseas (OTT) and is available to those trained EPP/ITT and have received a credential from a regulating authority in the US, CAN, AUS. The QTS granted is full QTS and does not require induction.
The application takes about 15 minutes, and generally is processed in about 2 weeks. You can find the application here:
https://teacherservices.education.gov.u ... ecognition

FL provides a virtual portal search which you will want to include in your application, so that the TCL can verify your credential, and thus you will not need to obtain a letter of good standing, the web verification portal can be found here:
https://flcertify.fldoe.org/datamart/selSearchType.do
kaligezi

Post by kaligezi »

@PsyGuy: thank you so much! That's very useful and something I was not aware of before, which may open more doors! Much appreciated!
SideOut

Post by SideOut »

kaligezi,

I agree that the TR course would probably be very beneficial for people without much classroom experience. I will say that, although I don't feel like I'm learning anything new, it is helpful to think about why I do the things I do in the classroom. So, I suppose from a perspective of self-reflection, the course is worthwhile.

Also, thanks for the information regarding the FTCE tests. That's good advice.

PsyGuy,

One last clarification regarding applying for QTS. Is it more or less guaranteed that QTS will be awarded for a U.S. teacher with a full valid state teaching certification, or is it assessed on a case by case basis? Would the fact that TR is an alternate pathway to certification perhaps count against it in the eyes of TCL?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@SideOut

There are many in edu that have the position that skills based pathways train practitioners but are wholly absent of providing a foundation of theory that a edu needs to grow and develop. Skills based programs such as Teach Ready are based on do this, than that because of X, they are an approach to edu that creates someone who can follow a recipe, but lacks the exploration of the craft that makes one a chef. There are those that argue, and not in error, that you dont need a kitchen of all chefs, that there are roles and many roles that are focused on following the recipe, go through the process and repeat.

There are three generally regarded and accepted levels or ‘grades’ of professional educator credentials these are: Entry, Professional and Advanced.
1) Professional: A credential is defined as a professional certificate that authorizes the holder to provide independent appropriate instructional services in the public/maintained education settings of the regulatory authority (municipal DE) for the region (this is a defining characteristic between certification, qualification, credential, and license). Such a credential must meet two conditions:
(A) It has no deficiencies, restrictions or limitations within the subject and age level inscribed.
(B) It must be either renewable in perpetuity or permanent without requiring renewal.
Credentials of this grade have multiple terms attached to them, some of the most common include, but are not limited to :”standard, regular, professional, CLEAR, full registration, type 2 (II), etc.”
2) Entry: A credential that authorizes the holder to provide instructional service but does not meet both of the above two conditions (A and B above) for a professional grade credential, is an Entry grade credential. These credentials typically are time limited and/or restricted and require the DT to complete some course of PD to transition and elevate the credential, to the professional grade credential. They may allow authorize the IT to teach effectively indefinitely or an extended period of time without any action on the part of the DT/IT. Credentials of this grade have multiple terms attached to them, some of the most common include, but are not limited to :”entry, initial, preliminary, provisional, temporary, Interim, partial (new) registration, type 1 (I), etc.”
3) Advance: A credential that meets the above two conditions (A and B above) and requires significant, and definitively sufficient, additional requirements (IE. an advance degree, such as a Masters) beyond that required for the professional grade credential. While the PD requirements is not definitive, or exclusively universal. The conditions as described above need to be significant and sufficient, these conditions do not have hard comparative definitions between credentials. They may be as few as one, but significant (such as obtaining a Masters degree), or may be less significant, but more extensive (such as mentoring plans and minimum teaching times, and orientation PD). Credentials of this grade have multiple terms attached to them, some of the most common include, but are not limited to :”advance, master leader, type 3 (III), etc.”
A regulating authority need not have all three grades of a credential, and may have other credentials that such as permits, or aids or Was (Teaching Assistants) that dont permit independent instruction, limited roles and tasking in various instructional settings.

Its essentially assured that you will receive QTS if you obtain a full professional grade credential from a US regulating authority. How you got it doesnt matter, if it meets the conditions of a professional grade credential, youre going to get QTS, the issues of course happen when you have a credential thats somewhere between a professional grade and an entry grade credential.
Your EPP/ITT program doesnt matter, the TCL is recognizing the credential issued by the FL regulating authority and granting QTS based on that regulating authority. The EPP/ITT pathway is immaterial.
marieh

Post by marieh »

1) Yes. It functions in the same way as a license obtained through a traditional program. In fact, there's no way to discern the difference based on the certificate itself. As far as reciprocity goes, I was able to transfer mine to New Jersey with no problem.

2) Yes. Once you have a valid US state certification, you can get QTS. When I did this, it cost nothing and only took a couple of weeks.

3) I completed TeacherReady and have been teaching internationally now for 5 years. Now that I have some experience under my belt, I am just as hireable as anyone else with the same amount of experience. I would even argue that I am more hireable in my particular subject (high school math), because I have industry experience and related coursework (B.S./M.S. in Mathematics instead of B.Ed/M.Ed.). Yes, the program was a joke, but I couldn't have asked for a better end result.
SideOut

Post by SideOut »

PsyGuy,

Thank you for the clarification and for another detailed reply.

marieh,

Thank you for sharing your experiences. It sounds like TR worked out very well for you. That really helps to put my mind at ease regarding the value of the program.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@SideOut

A few clarifications too @marieh that I dont entirely agree with:

1) While the credential is indistinguishable in of itself on the face of the certificate, its relatively easy to look at your resume and realize you didnt go through an academic pathway to get your credential. Youre not going to have some Uni on your resume with professional education academics.

2) There are leadership and recruiters who have the position than non-academically prepared and trained ITs are inferior to those who were prepared academically. As you build experience this becomes less and less of a burden but early in a ITs career it can be a substantial obstacle.

3) In terms of reciprocity, there are states in the US and countries (such as CAN) that your EPP/ITT pathway means nothing if you werent academically prepared/trained.

4) The position of @marieh that her previous experience in the professional field makes them a better candidate with the skills based EPP/ITT pathway such as Teach Ready, isnt relevant or material. You can be a professional in a non-teaching field and enter edu as an academically prepared/trained DT/IT. Nothing about an academic pathway is precluded from entering DE/IE. You can be a rocket scientist, or anything and go to Uni and complete a degree or EPP/ITT preparation program and obtain a edu credential.
SideOut

Post by SideOut »

PsyGuy,

Noted. It seems quite reasonable to me that a traditional academic pathway to certification would be looked on more favorably. In retrospect, this is the academic path I wish I had taken when I was in university, but of course hindsight is 20/20.

My conclusion was that TeacherReady is the best option for me as an American who wants to continue teaching abroad (but at least have the option of teaching in the U.S. in the future) and advance his career.

Thank you to all the posters who contributed to this thread.