Science Teacher without Science Degree?

SparkleMotion

Science Teacher without Science Degree?

Post by SparkleMotion »

I’ve posted before about trying to make a mid-term plan for transitioning to international school teaching. Separate question that I’ve been pondering -

I’ve gotten a lot of feedback about teaching at international schools, often peppered with the “if you had a STEM certificate” tips. I’m planning to transition to international schools in three years. In my state, it would be very easy for me to get certified in Math / Science but I don’t have a degree in Math / Science (undergrad is in Health - not sure if that’s viewed as related to Science by others).

Is a person with a degree and three years of Math / Science US teaching experience (and an M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction) still valuable as a STEM teacher? Or are there enough Science / Science Ed majors out there that it wouldn’t be useful to go that route? Is it viewed differently than being an English teacher without a Lit or English degree?

Right now I’m planning on teaching English 5-9 next year (eligible to teach English and Health as of right now but can easily take the Science exam and be eligible there). I could just as easily teach / be certified in Science / Math 5-9. My husband is planning to do the same, but his degree is in Math. Would I be employable longterm in international schools with no educational background in Math / Science though?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Health isnt science.
Can you pass the maths science qualification exams?

Once you hit the three mark, it matters far more hat your performance in the classroom is than it does your degree and academic background. The hard part is gong to be getting a DS or IS to take a flyer on you as a maths or science DT/IT in which your only qualification is a credential obtained based on taking an exam.

Beyond that it matters what you consider as "maths" and "science", theres a significant difference in marketability ina science IT who can teach lower secondary general/integrated science and those that have subject specific mastery at discreet subjects at SLL, the same for maths. There are plenty of lower secondary science and even maths ITs.
You might want to consider taking a personal inventory of what your goals are aside from moving into IE, and what role you want to be working in. The highest marketability is in SLL subjects in STEM, if you can do that, and then make your way to those levels and subjects, thats valuable, but I dont see you getting there if you cant do it, and to if you can do it but you cant convince anyone to give you an appointment so that you can get the experience. If on the other hand your goal is to present as a lower secondary subject generalist than you may consider in addition to adding a lowers secondary (5-9) credential in science and maths adding social studies as well would round you out well.

Your spouse would be far better off taking the mathematics 6-12 credential, assuming he has the capability of doing so.