IE perception of Swedish curriculum?

s0830887

IE perception of Swedish curriculum?

Post by s0830887 »

Hi all, I'm an NQT and have been tentatively offered a position teaching year 7 maths at a Swedish curriculum school in Sweden. My partner is a U.K.-qualified teacher/subject coordinator (English/Phil) with 4 years experience in IE, and they're currently considering him for a couple teaching and/or leadership roles at the corresponding high school, which offers IB, so he would be able to gain IB experience which is very positive.

So, this is a career change for me and while I do have a background in academia, there's no substitute for that oh-so-important experience and I want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot by gaining that experience within the Swedish curriculum. AFAIK Sweden is generally well-regarded in terms of education, but now that I've looked into it I can see they're having some issues.

So. Good move? Bad move? What does the IE world think of Swedish curriculum?
sid

Re: IE perception of Swedish curriculum?

Post by sid »

I don’t know that the world on the whole spends much time thinking about it, but in my experience the Swedish national curriculum is generally good though rather insular and not as rigorous as it could be for the typical student. And yes, it’s facing some issues. The gymnasium system is quite nice overall, though still suffering from that lack of rigor in many programs.
What is more interesting to me in your post is that this school is hiring an NQT and considering leadership for someone with only four years experience. Swedish schools don’t generally recruit from abroad, having a large pool of expats already in country for other reasons, plus of course plenty of qualified English-speaking citizens. So the interest in young foreigners makes me wonder what they are up too. I’m sure you’re great and perfect for the posts, but are you confident this school is stable and a good next move?
s0830887

Post by s0830887 »

Thanks for taking the time to reply! You're right to question all of that. The school is a large bilingual chain with an NQT program (IES), there is tons of info online. Parents say they like them because they're a bit more rigorous than regular Swedish schools (but still Swedish), but it seems they like to hire from abroad because they pay less than the average Swedish teacher salary. Teachers hate the pay and the for-profit, but that's the worst I've read. We're already jaded, we would have two incomes, we hate driving, and both of us are in need of some good healthcare, so all of that doesn't completely scare us off. Especially compared to our other options.

We've been interviewed and rejected by three decent ISs, turned down a crappy one, have another crappy one on the table, etc. My partner has been teaching seven years, just four years international. He's actually in a leadership position at his current (pretty good not amazing) school and his admins love him, though yes he's young for it. He is ready to move on, however, so the goal is to get me classroom experience (can't do that here) and not tank his career at the same time.

So yeah. Good instincts, we've had all the same thoughts. I THINK we are well-informed, but feel free to tell me if you think it's a bad move. The most important consideration is if we'd be hirable by a not-horrible IS at the end of our time there.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The Swedish curriculum experience is going to be just as marketable as any other NC curriculum in IE, its not US or UK experience which is predominate, but at lower secondary no one is going to care. Its only when you get to upper secondary and SLL that the curriculum matters, and IB is really the only curriculum thats worth focusing on in terms of marketability.

Otherwise yes, the chain IS your mention is well known for their business approach, thats what they do, they pay poor coin but offer opportunity incentives, not otherwise available to early career ITs.

If you have the time, and can make it on the coin then this could be a very marketable opportunity for the two of you, as long as you understand this isnt an opportunity your likely to retire out of, and but another step on the path of where your trying to go.
sid

Post by sid »

This may be your best next step, though it does have challenges.
Teacher pay in Sweden is not great to start with, so two people on the bottom of the scale and receiving less than normal... you’ll be challenged. Unlikely to be able to afford many of Sweden’s pleasantries, and not left with two kronor to rub together at the end of the year. But the outdoors is free and beautiful, and medical care is free.
Housing is really hard to find in many parts of Sweden. It can take months to find and secure a rental. What is the school’s plan for assisting you? If you’re on your own to look or they tell you not to worry, run, don’t walk. Plan to spend a lot if you find a decent place.
Good luck. Sweden can be awesome. It’s just not guaranteed to be unless you have decent money.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Salaries across all professions in Sweden are relatively flat, but IT/DT pay fluctuates drastically, the chain IS you reference pays between 26K-30K/yr crowns, you can go to an outside private/independent IS and make 40K-50K crowns/yr, and taxes are really high, between the two of you, you will have really one whole salary (about 120%) to live off of, which you can live off of provided you keep your costs to a minimum.

The housing issue really, really depends on where you are, in the Stockholm area and a few others, you really need an insider who know someone to get anything affordable, Swedish housing codes are very high, so even the worst apartment/flat you will find is pretty decent. There are other regions though that finding housing isnt difficult at all, albeit yes pricey for what your getting. Someone from the IS who knows of someone like a departing or moving DT/IT is an inside track to such an apartment. I would however concur with @Sid that if your ISs plan is your on your own and your in any type of competitive housing market, than I too would support running away very quickly.
Property owners typically want at a minimum 3 months rent plus deposit to rent to foreigners, some want as much as 6 months rent. Once a tenant is "in" its extremely difficult to force them out, and can easily take 6 months to a year. You wouldnt be the first to essentially move into a business hotel/hostel which can cost 2K crowns/mth which will be to thirds of a salary (includes all utilities and satellite) would leave you 1000 crowns for market and enough leftover for metro passes and your mobiles and than you might have two crowns to rub together at the end of the month.
s0830887

Post by s0830887 »

Interesting, thanks to you both for taking the time to respond. We would be in the Stockholm area though preferably well in the suburbs. The school did mention that they have an economist that would help us find accommodation, but I don't know any details. I'm supposed to speak with the HOD this week, and I've got a list of new questions to ask thanks to you two.

The money/housing issues do sound daunting, but it feels like a better career move than a 3rd tier school in SEA with probationary accreditation and a poor academic reputation. Although the salary offered by said 3rd tier school is tempting. As PsyGuy said, we are not looking to retire now, we are angling to build up our earning potential in the long term. Then retire on a beach somewhere, of course, 'cause we're basic.
sid

Post by sid »

Stockholm is probably the worst housing market in Sweden and your have to go inconviently far out to see prices drop. Make sure to get detailed answers to housing questions. Where will you stay until you find a place. What is that place like. What does that cost. How long will it take to get a place? Will the school loan the deposit money. Etc.
Friends of mine looked last year at moving from the USA to Sweden. They stayed home after finding out what they could get in Sweden after selling up in the USA. Their USD275,000 three bedroom house would have possibly bought a small one bedroom or studio apartment down south. Maybe. Or so they told me. Plus monthly association fees of a few hundred dollars.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Gothenburg is the worst housing market, it really depends how you define Stockholm. Gothenburg is very clearly defined, but the suburbs of Stockholm seem to go on and on, go out far enough and you eventually find reasonable and available housing. Stockholm would be second though, especially anything in the CBD.

The chain IS you discussed isnt going to loan you the deposits. The OSH package is basically a flight in, and maybe 10 days in a business hotel, you should ask about that. If they have any type of temporary housing, it means they have a corporate rate available to them for whatever that business hotel is (probably nearish to the IS), without breakfast its like USD$40/day, which is USD$1200/mth and a possible short/long term housing possibility.
If all the "economist" does as far as housing goes is organize some property listing for rent or put you in touch with a property agent who does the same, then you really need to come prepared with a lot of coin in the bank. At least half a years to a years salary in start up costs. Otherwise once you have your work visa, its just getting your resident card, a bank account open, a mobile and possibly internet. Your property manager/owner or agent will handle the power/water, utilities. The mobile will take an hour and youll need a copy of your IS contract to get a contract phone (if you have a modern GSM phone thats SIM unlocked and your fine using it, it will save you some coin). Internet will require you to pay several months up to a year in advance. Bank account you can do most online in advance and then just drop by a branch to execute the paperwork, pick up your account access card and make a deposit (once you have that your salary dispersment will be deposited in your account), your economist will likely do this for you. When your power/water are turned on, you will get an invoice that will have a deposit on it (about a Kr1000 crowns each).
If on the other side of the coin the IS knows someone or has access to apartments because they know someone (a students parent, etc.) or an IT/DT thats moving out if you can assume their rental contract it can save you a LOT of coin, since they likely have only a month or so in deposit (assuming their local).