Transferring License (PsyGuy please help me)

intotheblue

Transferring License (PsyGuy please help me)

Post by intotheblue »

Hi PsyGuy,

I finally got my D.C Teaching license in Elementary Education and TESOL (Endorsement).
However, I can't seem to find a license number on the paper. Is this normal? I believe many schools ask for it on the job application form. If there is one, where may I find it?

Also, I heard it is difficult to renew D.C. license as an non-American citizen living outside of the States. Therefore, before my license gets expired after four years, I was thinking of transferring my license to either Canada or UK to get a permanent license without having to worry about the renewal.

May I ask you the appropriate steps I need to take, specifically for UK (QTS)?

Also, I heard it is more difficult to transfer the license to Canada if an applicant does not have a Bachelor's degree in Education. Is this true?

Thank you
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Thats normal, the current credentials dont have a license number on them. You have an educator number in ECIS. Just put N/A or 0 on the application, the vast majority of application have non checked free text entry fields, you can put anything in them (I personally like to use 愛綺麗可愛い蝶 if it will accept kanji characters).

DCs renewal can be difficult, but its easier than some states. For DC you need 180 contact hours (120 for the primary credential and an additional 60 for the ESOL). These can be obtained by coursework (1 US credit hour or unit is equal to 15 contact hours), but you an also use PD provided by various educational and professional organizations. Uni credit would easily work, so would IB workshops, and there are a lot of other organizations that have online content, they just have to give you some form of digital certificate that you can submit. Being a US citizen doesnt change the requirements, but for those working outside the US and outside of DE it can be harder and more expensive to get the required PD.

Mutual recognition of a credential in CAN isnt just one system, each provincial regulating authority has their own requirements. Many of them wont issue a credential if you do not have an offer of employment in the province, some of them do, BC (British Columbia) is one of them. However, one commonality of CAN in their credentialing system is that they are based entirely on Uni credit and coursework. In addition to a bachelors or first degree in some subject they require an academic or traditional EPP/ITT pathway. In addition you will need recent teaching experience.

QTS in the UK is far easier. The portal to apply with the TCL is:

https://teacherservices.education.gov.u ... ecognition

The application takes maybe 15 minutes, and then the process takes about 2 weeks, though because your certificate is from DC and they dont have a virtual database portal you may need a letter from the DC OSSE, and that could take some time. Its relatively painless though.
intotheblue

Re: Response

Post by intotheblue »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Thats normal, the current credentials dont have a license number on them.
> You have an educator number in ECIS. Just put N/A or 0 on the application,
> the vast majority of application have non checked free text entry fields,
> you can put anything in them (I personally like to use 愛綺麗可愛い蝶 if it will
> accept kanji characters).
>
> DCs renewal can be difficult, but its easier than some states. For DC you
> need 180 contact hours (120 for the primary credential and an additional 60
> for the ESOL). These can be obtained by coursework (1 US credit hour or
> unit is equal to 15 contact hours), but you an also use PD provided by
> various educational and professional organizations. Uni credit would easily
> work, so would IB workshops, and there are a lot of other organizations
> that have online content, they just have to give you some form of digital
> certificate that you can submit. Being a US citizen doesnt change the
> requirements, but for those working outside the US and outside of DE it can
> be harder and more expensive to get the required PD.
>
> Mutual recognition of a credential in CAN isnt just one system, each
> provincial regulating authority has their own requirements. Many of them
> wont issue a credential if you do not have an offer of employment in the
> province, some of them do, BC (British Columbia) is one of them. However,
> one commonality of CAN in their credentialing system is that they are based
> entirely on Uni credit and coursework. In addition to a bachelors or first
> degree in some subject they require an academic or traditional EPP/ITT
> pathway. In addition you will need recent teaching experience.
>
> QTS in the UK is far easier. The portal to apply with the TCL is:
>
> https://teacherservices.education.gov.u ... ecognition
>
> The application takes maybe 15 minutes, and then the process takes about 2
> weeks, though because your certificate is from DC and they dont have a
> virtual database portal you may need a letter from the DC OSSE, and that
> could take some time. Its relatively painless though.

@PsyGuy

Thank you very much for the reply.
I looked into QTS application, and I had some questions to ask you, if you don't mind.

-Registration number: I would leave it as blank since DC doesn't issue a license number?

-Title of qualification under Name of Teacher Qualification: What do I put here?

-Name of the institution: Do I write Teach-Now or OSSE?

-Age trained to teach: If I got Elementary Ed (1-6) and TESOL Endorsement (p-12), may I select 5-19 for the age range?

-Subjects trained to teach: Do I write both subjects here using the same subject names for DC?

-On the Supporting Information section, a following statement can be found:
"If the recognising body does not provide an on-line checking service please upload a letter from them that confirms your status as a fully recognised teacher and that you are not barred or subject to any restrictions to teach in that country. We can only accept documents in pdf or jpeg formats."

Is this the letter you were talking about? In order to get this letter, do I simply contact OSSE and ask for a letter that confirms my status as a fully recognized teacher? May I ask you if you know the exact name of the letter I should request?

Thank you very much for your help
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@intotheblue

In response to your inquiries:

1) Yes, leave the registration number blank, as you dont have a registration number with OSSE
2) Standard Teacher Certification
3) DC Office of State Superintendent of Education
4) Yes, you can select ages 5-19
5) Yes, write Elementary education and for TESOL write "EAL"
6) Yes, this is the letter I was referencing earlier. Send an email to OSSE asking for a letter on their letterhead and signed by the chancellor with their seal on it. Be sure to include all the requirements described in the QTS application website. Send it to them and ask for them to send you a scanned copy and place the original in the post to you. Hopefully if they do that you should have the letter in a couple weeks if you do it now, since this is a slow time for their office. The term for this letter is a "verification letter of good standing".
DomeVet

Re: Transferring License (PsyGuy please help me)

Post by DomeVet »

I have some questions about transferring licenses. PsyGuy can I sent you a query by pm?
intotheblue

Re: Reply

Post by intotheblue »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @intotheblue
>
> In response to your inquiries:
>
> 1) Yes, leave the registration number blank, as you dont have a
> registration number with OSSE
> 2) Standard Teacher Certification
> 3) DC Office of State Superintendent of Education
> 4) Yes, you can select ages 5-19
> 5) Yes, write Elementary education and for TESOL write "EAL"
> 6) Yes, this is the letter I was referencing earlier. Send an email to OSSE
> asking for a letter on their letterhead and signed by the chancellor with
> their seal on it. Be sure to include all the requirements described in the
> QTS application website. Send it to them and ask for them to send you a
> scanned copy and place the original in the post to you. Hopefully if they
> do that you should have the letter in a couple weeks if you do it now,
> since this is a slow time for their office. The term for this letter is a
> "verification letter of good standing".

@PsyGuy

Thank you very much for your answers. Teach-Now says that they will soon launch online PD courses to help their alumni to renew DC license. I am non-American, so there is literally 0% that I would teach in the States. In such case, is it worth renewing DC license every 4 years to work strictly in international schools in East Asia? In these countries, will having an active DC license give me an advantage over having a QTS?

Thank you
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@DomeVet

Unfortunately PMs are disabled for the forum, you will have to post it publicly for the readership.

@intotheblue

That will make it easier for you to find PD, but there are lots of associations, unions, DOEs and other organizations that have various options for PD online that you can do anywhere in the world. It is work, it is more effort being an IT, and there is a cost in coin to do it.

Having a US credential is going to slightly give you a benefit in applying to the US NC ISs that have partnership agreements with US DSs that require a US credential for their ITs. There is also some preference within IE for UK trained ITs at BSs, and US trained ITs at ASs. The latter tends to be more of an issue at SLL and in upper secondary, that is last of a barrier for an ESOL or Primary IT. At primary getting IB in PYP is far more important in terms of marketability and utility than having a US or UK credential. As far as ESOL is concerned there are ISs that have a preference for the British and for American voice, but thats not going to be relevant to you not being an American or British, you cant really do much with what you look and sound like.
If youre arent going to focus on ASs and your not going to branch into other teaching areas, than there probably isnt a lot of benefit to you in maintaining the DC credential once your QTS is issued.

Another option to renal is mutual recognition, about 6 months before your DC credential expires you just transfer it to another state (Hawaii would be my recommendation) that would get you another 5 years. Hopefully within that time (9 years total) you would have a Masters and be able to apply for the CA CLEAR credential and that credential does not require PD to renew.
intotheblue

Post by intotheblue »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @DomeVet
>
> Unfortunately PMs are disabled for the forum, you will have to post it
> publicly for the readership.
>
> @intotheblue
>
> That will make it easier for you to find PD, but there are lots of
> associations, unions, DOEs and other organizations that have various
> options for PD online that you can do anywhere in the world. It is work, it
> is more effort being an IT, and there is a cost in coin to do it.
>
> Having a US credential is going to slightly give you a benefit in applying
> to the US NC ISs that have partnership agreements with US DSs that require
> a US credential for their ITs. There is also some preference within IE for
> UK trained ITs at BSs, and US trained ITs at ASs. The latter tends to be
> more of an issue at SLL and in upper secondary, that is last of a barrier
> for an ESOL or Primary IT. At primary getting IB in PYP is far more
> important in terms of marketability and utility than having a US or UK
> credential. As far as ESOL is concerned there are ISs that have a
> preference for the British and for American voice, but thats not going to
> be relevant to you not being an American or British, you cant really do
> much with what you look and sound like.
> If youre arent going to focus on ASs and your not going to branch into
> other teaching areas, than there probably isnt a lot of benefit to you in
> maintaining the DC credential once your QTS is issued.
>
> Another option to renal is mutual recognition, about 6 months before your
> DC credential expires you just transfer it to another state (Hawaii would
> be my recommendation) that would get you another 5 years. Hopefully within
> that time (9 years total) you would have a Masters and be able to apply for
> the CA CLEAR credential and that credential does not require PD to renew.

@PsyGuy

Thank you very much for your reply again.

Based on your response, I would like to ask you few more questions, if you don't mind

1. How do I get IB in PYP? Is there a certificate? If so, is it possible to attain it online as well?

2. By meaning Masters, does it have to be specifically Maters of Education? I have a Masters of Arts in non-education, but the major was offered through a graduate school of education.
If it has to be a Masters relevant to education, does it have to be Masters of Education or can it be Masters of Arts or Science in education relevant field? (e.g. MSC IN APPLIED LINGUISTICS FOR LANGUAGE TEACHING). Also, does the masters have to be from US? The MSC program I mentioned above is a program offered at Oxford, which I have been interested in for a while now.

Thank you
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@intotheblue

The rule is no amount of training equals any amount of experience. No certificate is going to substitute for PYP classroom experience, and no recruiter or leadership thinks the certificates add value to practice.

There are two type of certificates however for IB and PYP. The most common is whats called a workshop certificate. Its essentially 17 or so contact hours. Typically, thy are offered over a weekend F2F or online over the course of about 4-6 weeks. The F2F ones generally cost a little more, but you have travel expenses to contend with that can make them very expensive for hat they are. Traditionally the workshop for PYP was the CAT 1 Making the PYP Happen (MTPYPH) and while thats still the standard technically any workshop thats suitable for age level and role will meet the IB PD requirements.

The other type of certificate is called a "Teaching and Learning" certificates, these are typically offered as part of degree programs at various Unis. They are seriously expensive, though UPe offers a Masters program that is about USD$2600, which is comparable to hat you could spend just on travel and course fees alone for a weekend F2F workshop.

The year went by way to fast. The Masters requirement for the CA CLEAR credential is no longer relevant anymore. CA revised the CLEAR credential requirements last year which went into effect in January 2019. You no longer need the advanced education requirement (neither the Masters, a 150 hr Bachelors or 15o hrs of PD) to obtain the CLEAR credential.

You will need to take the Praxis Core Academic Skills to meet the basic skills requirement, and complete two years of full time teaching experience in a regionally accredited IS. Your DC ESOL credential will meet the ELL requirement. You will thus qualify for a multiple subjects teaching credential (for primary) and a single subjects credential in World Language: English Language Development (all level).
intotheblue

Post by intotheblue »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @intotheblue
>
> The rule is no amount of training equals any amount of experience. No
> certificate is going to substitute for PYP classroom experience, and no
> recruiter or leadership thinks the certificates add value to practice.
>
> There are two type of certificates however for IB and PYP. The most common
> is whats called a workshop certificate. Its essentially 17 or so contact
> hours. Typically, thy are offered over a weekend F2F or online over the
> course of about 4-6 weeks. The F2F ones generally cost a little more, but
> you have travel expenses to contend with that can make them very expensive
> for hat they are. Traditionally the workshop for PYP was the CAT 1 Making
> the PYP Happen (MTPYPH) and while thats still the standard technically any
> workshop thats suitable for age level and role will meet the IB PD
> requirements.
>
> The other type of certificate is called a "Teaching and Learning"
> certificates, these are typically offered as part of degree programs at
> various Unis. They are seriously expensive, though UPe offers a Masters
> program that is about USD$2600, which is comparable to hat you could spend
> just on travel and course fees alone for a weekend F2F workshop.
>
> The year went by way to fast. The Masters requirement for the CA CLEAR
> credential is no longer relevant anymore. CA revised the CLEAR credential
> requirements last year which went into effect in January 2019. You no
> longer need the advanced education requirement (neither the Masters, a 150
> hr Bachelors or 15o hrs of PD) to obtain the CLEAR credential.
>
> You will need to take the Praxis Core Academic Skills to meet the basic
> skills requirement, and complete two years of full time teaching experience
> in a regionally accredited IS. Your DC ESOL credential will meet the ELL
> requirement. You will thus qualify for a multiple subjects teaching
> credential (for primary) and a single subjects credential in World
> Language: English Language Development (all level).

@PsyGuy

Thank you for the detailed response again. I understand that no amount of training equals any amount of experience.
However, I am beginning to wonder how I can acquire IB experience in the first place, because it seems like all IB schools only hire teachers with at least 2 years of IB experience in the first place.

As for Teaching and Learning certificates, may I ask you what UPe stands for? Is it University of Pennsylvania? If so, somehow I couldn't really find IB certificate program on their graduate school of education website.

Lastly, I already completed Praxis Core, Praxis Elementary Multiple sujbects, Praxis ESOL and Praxis PLT. Then, have I already met the praxis requirement for CA? Also, what makes a regionally accredited International school? Does the school need to be officially recognized as IS in its country, or does it just need to be accredited by agencies such as WASC?
I am asking this, because in South Korea, there seems to be a lot of pseudo international school considered as just academies by the Korean Department Education, but are accredited by WASC and send their kids to top US, UK universities with no problem.

Thank you
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@intotheblue

It does sound that way, and can appear that way, especially when talking about higher tier ISs, but there are lower third tier ISs and hardship regions (and DE) where most IB ITs get there start.

UPe = University of the People
https://www.uopeople.edu/programs/ed/

You will have completed all the testing requirements for the CA CLEAR credential.

Regionally accredited means the IS is accredited by one of the regional accreditation organizations such as WASC, however the CTC does tend to be selective, and the regional accreditation requirement should be thought of as a minimum to get looked at.
cjsusmss

Post by cjsusmss »

@psyguy

I would just like to chime in with a few of my own questions as I'm in the process of figuring out how to proceed. I know in an earlier post you mentioned that in order to gain a license in Canada the process was a bit more specific in relation to the license and your degree. Are you aware of any difficulties in gaining QTS? What I am unsure of is the following part of the QTS transfer application where you are have to enter your degree information if it is different from your ITT. In this section do we enter the teach now information? If not then my degree is in an unrelated field (computing) and the teach now route I would be looking to pursue is the elementary one to gain the elementary license from DC. As there is no real link between the two is there any possibility of the transfer being declined on those grounds?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@cjsusmss

Your degree isnt relevant, the TCL is extending you recognition based on the credential of the regulating authority, not the course of study. They will record in the TCL profile for QTS what your credential was issued in. Enter your degree is in computing, your EPP/ITT program is primary/elementary. You will receive QTS and your teaching field will be primary, once you present the DC standard license showing primary.
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

@cjsusmss

Concur with @PsyGuy
intotheblue

Post by intotheblue »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @intotheblue
>
> It does sound that way, and can appear that way, especially when talking
> about higher tier ISs, but there are lower third tier ISs and hardship
> regions (and DE) where most IB ITs get there start.
>
> UPe = University of the People
> https://www.uopeople.edu/programs/ed/
>
> You will have completed all the testing requirements for the CA CLEAR
> credential.
>
> Regionally accredited means the IS is accredited by one of the regional
> accreditation organizations such as WASC, however the CTC does tend to be
> selective, and the regional accreditation requirement should be thought of
> as a minimum to get looked at.

@PsyGuy