Bangkok Pollution

Heliotrope

Re: Reply

Post by Heliotrope »

@ PsyGuy

If I count the ones you added to 'Asia' in your reply, it's 21 countries in total (or 20 – your writing wasn't very clear).
If we divide them into three groups (top, middle, bottom), that's 7 countries per category.
With a fourth spot (or joint third as you said in a previous reply), that puts it firmly in the top.
I'd say even if the Thai IS's were in shacks and run by goblins, they'd still get long lines and plenty of applications.

And if you read my previous reply, you'lI see that I wasn't arguing that Sudan and Ethiopia were part of the ME, I said that the only (but very dated) definition of the ME that included Pakistan also included Sudan and Ethiopia.

But you still haven't given us your sources.
I'd like to see where your 75% figure comes from, if not your gut.
Could you provide us with a link?
Please follow the link with an 'Now you know', because we don't really know right now, do we?
Again, I'm not saying Japan isn't the most popular destination – many of my teacher friends would jump at a chance to work at one of the two tier 1 schools there (the ones without families though, as the free tuition is taxed), but the 75% seems rather high given that there are 21/20 countries in your version of Asia.

Which BS in Tokyo are you talking about? Can you make it rhyme with something?
Or are you referring to the tier 2 school with the lion holding a book in their logo?
For Bangkok, I think a lot of people would put the school that rhymes with FIST above the other two tier 1 schools there, but you're welcome to your own opinion of course.

I'm so glad we're getting to the bottom of this Bangkok pollution problem. We're almost there I feel.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

You need to review the previous posting my list of rankings only contains 14 regions (with 11 rankings, due to ties). Dividing that into quartiles and its as i wrote before Thailand is firmly in the middle. I suppose you could bisect the data into upper and lower and then say Thailand isnt in the lower group as well, but thats your position and my position is that its firmly in the middle.

I doubt thy would get plenty of applications or lines, it still immaterial, no matter how bad Japans ISs could be they would still be more desirable and more competitive than Thailands.

There are three tier 1/Elite tier ISs in Japan and yes the lion holding the book is the BS thats one of them.

I dont know of any significant majority that would put FIST above the BKK AS, the ones that do are IB Koolaid drinkers.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

Why would you divide it into quartiles?
There are three categories (top, middle, bottom), with each 4.7 schools.
So Thailand would be in the top.
And now that we know that you forgot to include some countries (accidentally I assume), it's even more obvious.

And you still haven't provided us with a source to back up your ranking anyway, so it might just be your gut and nothing more that came up with the ranking and the 75% number.

I've seen the lines for the Thai schools, so no need to doubt.

The IB Koolaid remark is getting old. It's just a curriculum man, and not a bad one, seeing how the overwhelming majority of the top tier schools offers one or more IB programme.
Neither of us can prove how most people would rank the Bangkok schools, so I'll let that one slide, but hopefully others will weigh in on that.
Walter

Re: Bangkok Pollution

Post by Walter »

@dave:
"No you wrote it really big, really slow would be o_p_i_n_i_o_n, and your opinion is wrong, because only data matters, but even if this were an issue of opinion vs. opinion yours would still be wrong, and my opinion would still be more credible than yours.
Japan 1st/elite tier ISs are superior to Thailand 1st/elite tier ISs, and are comparable to 1st/elite tier ISs in Asia in terms of "facilities, resources, curriculum, teaching quality, school culture and energy".

Good to see you agreeing with me, the reasons dont matter, the lines do. Doesnt matter if Japans (or Frances or Italys) ISs were in shacks and run by goblins they still get longer lines and more applications, they are still more desirable and competitive, so no @Teacher Tan is wrong, the IS quality doesnt matter and so is @Walter facilities, resources, curriculum, teaching quality, school culture and energy doesnt matter either, and if they did, if they were relevant and material, Japans 1st/elite tier ISs are just as competitive and actually superior in those regards to other 1st/elite tier ISs in Asia and Thailand. Not like you would have the experience to know."

More tripe, Dave. I don't agree with any of the nonsense you spout.Where is the research you're quoting from? I see no data ever mentioned - just your opinion. Tell me when did you last go to a recruitment fair and see the lines at each school? Since I found out your name, I've been looking for you at all the top recruitment fairs - and of course you aren't there. I remember you lied once about being at ISS in BKK, but then lying comes easy to you doesn't it? It's your go-to comfort zone - as you crow about in another recent posting. But prove me wrong, why don't you? Cite the data you claim to have and/or tell me which recruitment fair you say you attended. (But remember not to claim for a SEARCH Fair - we both know why that isn't possible.)

Back to my opinion, for the more sensible readers. I wouldn't dispute that there is one (and only one) Tier 1 school in Japan. I just don't believe that it's as vibrant or as innovative as other big schools in Asia. And the facilities are behind most of them. Meanwhile, most of the international schools in Japan are in a struggle for numbers as the expat population declines, which doesn't augur well for future investment. It's a similar story in much of Europe - apart from cities in Germany and the Netherlands, both of which may benefit if BREXIT goes ahead. Switzerland has been especially hard hit.
BM12

Post by BM12 »

Is this the perfect example of a hijacked thread? Pretty tiring.

Regardless of who is right, I still have not seen any links or data supporting the argument? I do know it's been asked a whole bunch of times now, but the question for evidence seems to be ignored....
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

BM12 wrote:
> Is this the perfect example of a hijacked thread? Pretty tiring.
>
> Regardless of who is right, I still have not seen any links or data supporting the
> argument? I do know it's been asked a whole bunch of times now, but the question
> for evidence seems to be ignored....
==============
Spoiler alert: There isn't any evidence, but only some/most of us will admit it.

Unless you were talking about the actual topic of the thread, pollution in BKK, which does have some data surrounding it.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

For meaningful divisions, you could divide it into pentiles or dectiles, but Japan has 75% of the variation, and more divisions just makes the middle bigger.
You can have three divisions, you can have two divisions (you dont have to have a middle), you can interpret data any way you want too, and then report on it anyway you want to. I dont have to do so to satisfy you.
The data only contained 14 countries, I didnt forget anything the data just is what it is.

Ive seen the lines for the Thai ISs as well, I have no doubts.

I love IB Koolaid, Im a huge follower and a believer in the IB even if its just curriculum (its not), its still Koolaid.

@Walter

The only poo is yours, and the only nonsense is more of your admin babble. You have no clue who I am and never have. Despite being in DODEA I still attend recruitment fairs. Im a full member of SA and have attended BKK for both SA and ISS.

There are three 1st/Elite tier ISs in Japan, and they are superior to or equivalent too the 1st/Elite tier ISs in the rest of Asia, and superior to the ones in Thailand. More bunk the 1st/Elite tier ISs in Japan still have wait lists. Expat population may decline, but there will always be an expat population and those 1st/Elite tier ISs will be the ones with students. Its not going to bother the 1st/elite tier ISs.

@BM12

It is all started with @Teacher Tan and his 'thaiophile' position that IS quality and PD claims have any bearing on what ITs desire and find popular. Its just some leadership bunk saying my IS is awesome, and my awesome IS is part of other awesome ISs, and thus our region is awesome because were in it.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

@PsyGuy

So you have no links to sources then?
That means all you've said is basically worthless – only data matters.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

Yes only data matters, do your own research.
teacher tan

Post by teacher tan »

PG
The awesomeness is linked to the track record and the industrious/disruptive teacher folk at the top 3 schools in BKK. Teachers are open-minded and frequently attend job-alikes to learn from one another to better their craft unlike the recycling types in your part of the world. To say a great majority of teachers on this forum would be more than willing to work at the above-mentioned schools in BKK would be a genuine understatement.

Coming back to the topic at hand, the AQI in BKK this past week has been fairly moderate, but Chiangmai seems to be slightly on the unhealthy side, which is mostly due to slash and burn practices on the countryside (Source: US Embassy, BKK).
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

<Been shopping recently. Goes to the cupboard, microwaves some hot, buttery popcorn, and sits down on the couch...>
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

@teacher tan
There are many of us on this forum that do like clean air, water, and a laid-back lifestyle with exciting travel options. Thanks, but no thanks. Teaching is just one part of life, but there is much more to it which Bangkok doesn't provide for folks like me. How about year-round humidity for starters? At my age, I can't afford to run a marathon breathing fine heavy metal powder. BKK is neither the Mecca nor Shangri-La (not referring to the hotel, though).
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Walter
>
> The only poo is yours, and the only nonsense is more of your admin babble.
> You have no clue who I am and never have. Despite being in DODEA I still
> attend recruitment fairs. Im a full member of SA and have attended BKK for
> both SA and ISS.
===============
Interesting if true. There can't be that many candidates registered with Search that teach for DoDEA (although I find it hard to believe that you spend the money to stay current with Search and go to job fairs, just for the fun of it).
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@teacher tan

There is no awesomeness, no more than any other IS of your comparable tier. Its just some leaderships self declaration of awesomeness.
No it would be an exaggeration, the 1st/Elite tier ISs in Thailand are still in Asia and they dont have the desirability of Japan or even Europe. Oh Thailand can compete with China, Vietnam, Malaysia, etc. but WE and JP are in a far more desirable region and class

Bangkoks AQI is 109, Tokyos is 53

@WT123

Probably none, I dont include my DODEA experience in my profiles. I alternate between SA and ISS, its only about $75/yr, I like to keep my interview skils honed.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

PsyGuy wrote:

> @WT123
>
> Probably none, I dont include my DODEA experience in my profiles. I alternate between
> SA and ISS, its only about $75/yr, I like to keep my interview skils honed.
==================
Wow. That must be some interesting profile. So you have a 6 year gap since your last employer/experience and no reference from your current supervisor and/or you hone your other primary skills (lying and deception)?