Advice for a college professor looking to teach abroad?

Thames Pirate

Re: Advice for a college professor looking to teach abroad?

Post by Thames Pirate »

PsyGuy doesn't understand that it is the role of the person making a claim to provide evidence, not the other way around.
snowphantom

Re: Reply

Post by snowphantom »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @snowphantom
>
> The average rate of global inflation from 2014 to present is 3.1%
> (2015=2.75%, 2016=2.75%, 2017=3.2%, 2018=3.78%), regardless the growth of
> IE has not been linear across all tiers and all salary points, theres
> simply much more growth below the mean, thats pulling don the average.
> Though I should start reporting the average is 31K/yr, since its now over
> that.

You clearly don't understand how numbers or research work, specifically compound interest. Even if we use your first hit lazy google research stats, 30K @3.1% compounded over 5 years is $34,957, not $31,000.

>
> Do your own research, I have my data, if you have counter data wheres your research and citations.

Again, I challenged you on how you came up with this data (which is clearly out of your a$$), not the other way around. Nice feeble try at deflection though.

So I guess we can now conclude that PsyGuy again should not be relied on as a reliable source of accurate information. Next time, stop trying to state your opinions as facts.

Apologies to the OP for derailing this thread but he needs to be kept in check.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

If he kept digging on the Japanese equestrian thread, he will keep digging here.
Snowball

Post by Snowball »

Hi everyone, just a quick update. First, I don'[t mind the banter back and forth between old regulars here. I know that's how these boards tend to operate.

Since PsyGuy asked for an update...
Back from two fairs (Iowa & SF), and no contract in place at this time. My husband has received a few offers, but nothing that would work for us. He received a very low salary offer from a school in Kuwait, and given the salary plus the fact that it was low on our list of destinations, he declined. He also had an offer from a school in Qatar, but they gave him no details at all about the compensation package and communication was pretty confusing, so he said no to that as well. The other offer was from a high school in Taiwan. From what I gather, this is a bilingual school for Taiwanese students, not really a school for international students. The compensation was good and the mission of the school really tugged at our hearts--a nice blend of Chinese cultural heritage and western-style education that encourages independent thinking. However, the lack of a primary school for my son, coupled with a few other site-specific issues, led us to reluctantly decline. I hope we don't regret that decision, as it probably could have worked well for us. For now, my husband has several second interviews scheduled over the next ten days, and at least one first interview with a school that had to cancel due to weather-related travel delays. So,we gamble and we wait.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Sounds like you have made good choices for your family. Sure, you always wonder, but that's true no matter what you decide. Hang in there and check your email!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Snowball

Going forward you might ant to look into various state virtual school programs available to you, so that if a similar opportunity comes up where primary isnt available (and there arent any other deal breakers) you may have another option for your childs education.