Friendly reminder about new clothes and hiring fairs

sid

Friendly reminder about new clothes and hiring fairs

Post by sid »

If you have purchased a new blazer, dress skirt or overcoat, there’s a good chance the rear slit/vent and/or pockets have a few temporary stitches for you to remove. At the end of your long day of interviewing and impressing, you don’t want to discover that you did the whole thing with those stitches still in place.
It won’t make any difference to your prospects, but perhaps to your confidence.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

@Sid

Has to be a story there, going to share?
sid

Re: Friendly reminder about new clothes and hiring fairs

Post by sid »

Just something seen at every fair. It makes no difference to hiring, even perhaps earns points as it proves that someone is making an effort. But I feel bad for those who really are trying and don’t realize until too late that they missed a tiny thing.
teacher tan

Post by teacher tan »

Shows how depressing recruiter fairs are with teachers at the receiving end. Silicon valley would laugh at our 19th century practices where administrators with half-knowledge get to pretend like CEOs and get nice treats and massages at schools' expense. According to a close friend, his bosses took the instructional coach with them to Boston. The guy is a Grade 6 English teacher with no prior coaching experience, but the blue-eyed boy of HoS. Cronyism rules.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Sid

Maybe they didnt miss anything and wanted you to think they are trying with a new wardrobe and left the temp stitches intact, so that youd think that and if you mention it they have a prepared line "Oh thanks, I really anted to make my best impression so bought a new X piece of clothing". It might not actually be a new wardrobe piece at all, but one you think is new because of the temp stitches and all they did was have it pressed.
sid

Post by sid »

Goodness.
TT, if you believe that leadership don’t know as much as teachers, it seems odd to object to the involvement of a teacher in recruiting. And to be frank, if your antagonism towards leadership is even one tenth as apparent in person as it is online, are you truly surprised if the people you vilify spend more time with other people?
PG, we’ve been here before. I believe that people overall are doing the best they can. No subtext. No subterfuge. No bizarre plots to maladjust their clothing as a job hunting strategy.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Teacher Tan, I've never been a "blue-eyed boy" of anything, but I've worked with great administrators and mediocre administrators, and poor administrators. Happily left the latter, ok about the middle, and sadly left the former when my circumstances changed for various reasons.

Your view of adminstrators seems to be exceptionally negative as if they were all only out for the 'gravy train' of perks, or intent on the nepotism aspects of the position. Honestly, if those are the only types of administrators you have encountered I am sorry for you. But the world is a big place, it's only a two year contract, and you can move on. If you keep ending up at schools with administrators such as this over and over again, that's a whole other story. Perhaps at that point it might make sense to return home, go into administration, become the type of administrator you would admire, and then go out again seeking an administrator role so that you can effect positive change at international schools lucky enough to hire you.

Good luck with your adventures! In my experience, there are far more good administrators out there than bad.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Sid

There is nothing bizarre about tack stitching, it helps a piece retain its newly tailored look, and aids in pressing to keep clothes looking newer. There is such a thing as social engineering, but Im happy to cue the Disney music.

@SJ

I would say there are far more mediocre leadership than good or bad leadership. Maybe mediocre is just the new good compared to how bad the bad have gotten.
teacher tan

Post by teacher tan »

Apparently, SJ's teaching experiences are very limited so is his perspective and sid has no choice but to defend his ilk.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Have to agree with sid and SJ on this one. TT, I have worked with bad admin, but I have also worked with good admin. It's fair to take things with a grain of salt and to question anyone who says their school doesn't have issues. But to assume admin are all bad makes me wonder where you have worked and why you are so cynical.

Sid, that's a funny reminder.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

teacher tan wrote:
> Apparently, SJ's teaching experiences are very limited so is his
> perspective and sid has no choice but to defend his ilk.

LOL - 27 years teaching - 20 international, 7 countries 4 different curriculum/national/international systems/programs. What about you?
teacher tan

Post by teacher tan »

Pardon my bragging:
- 25 years experience, department head, examiner, workshop leader, CIS/IBO visiting team member
- Taught at 5 elite schools in N. America, SE Asia, far east, and W. Europe (Didn't have to switch 20 schools as I was already at premier ones)
The irony is my administrators have none of the experiences I mentioned. One guy used to be a counselor, has never taught for a day in a classroom and the other is an English teacher who has no clue about curriculum, but ask him a question, he comes up with a cliched quote. Yes, there are plenty of bad apples even at top-tier schools. It's just a matter of time before you guys find a lousy one. Nothing personal about this, just plain facts and sad state of affairs.
sid

Post by sid »

No one is denying the existence of bad apples. We’re pointing out that there is a decent supply of good ones.
Rather like teachers and all professions, the selection runs the gamut from dire to amazing.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

TT - I'm not saying I haven't found a lousy one, just that lousy is the exception, while through your posts you seem to posit it as the regular case.

As to nothing personal, I didn't take it personally, but you seemed to imply a dearth and shallowness of experience in my background. Every school I have taught at has been, arguably, the best in the country, with one exception where I only stayed a year. The reason I left had nothing to do with the school leadership, which I felt was overall quite strong with an experienced head who had been in the trenches as a teacher prior to entering admin. That's in a total of five schools, counting my present one. Like you, I tend to stick around awhile.

That said, 5 elite schools with leadership like that don't strike me as elite - more as "elite"
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@teacher tan

I agree that you find a higher proportion of poor and mediocre leadership at the highest tier ISs. Most of them have finally gotten to the position and IS they can retire out of, and plan to do so, and to do that as anywhere in IE leadership you dont keep your job not doing what ownership wants you to do. Most of them just want to minimize drama, and have classrooms look like teaching is going on, plan their capital projects until they retire.