Risky going from an unlimited contract to a 2-year contract?

Phil

Risky going from an unlimited contract to a 2-year contract?

Post by Phil »

I am an EU citizen currently in an unlimited contract with a Swiss school. I've applied for another Swiss school which stated a 2-year contract in the add. How common is it for teachers to be "replaced" after the 2 years?

Thanks

/Phil
fine dude

Re: Risky going from an unlimited contract to a 2-year contr

Post by fine dude »

If the unlimited contract provides decent pension, good healthcare, and a proper work-life balance, I wouldn't give up on that. It's human nature to think short-term. With poor healthcare and benefits, even a big nest egg can vanish overnight.
Phil

Post by Phil »

Thanks for the input, but my question was more specific. How common is it to not get the contract renewed?
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

In my experience it certainly happens but its not common at all.
PsyGuy

Reponse

Post by PsyGuy »

Its not very common overall, however the initial contract, whatever its length, is the most likely/common period in an ITs career that they are going to be dismissed as a result of 'fit', etc. This assumes that the 2 year term contract is a continuing contract and not a term limited (temporary), 2 years and then its over because of staffing or funding, etc. appointment.

There would have to be significant superior benefits for me to leave a tenured appointment for a term appointment thats down the street.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

A 2 year contract ends. At the end of 2 years there is no obligation to sign a new contract on the part of the school. So if directors change, etc and he or she wants you gone, you are gone.

Tenured. You have security. Not gone at the whim of new people. Much more job security.

Make your choice :-)
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

I agree--uncommon if you are halfway decent. I've known people who were renewed despite being utter garbage teachers. That said, internal politics play a role. A friend was in a department where the other incoming teacher created drama (mainly because she knew he was better). He didn't play along and didn't waste energy defending himself. The result was that neither was renewed--she for starting drama, he for not getting involved. Everyone at the school was shocked because he is a really good teacher--kids, parents, staff (including HOD) all love him. But admin didn't want to deal with other teachers making comments, believed a fraction of what was said, and he was non-renewed through no fault of his own.

So the chance is high for renewal. There are no guarantees, though.
Phil

Post by Phil »

Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it!
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Just to offer a slightly different take. The vast majority of int'l teachers (and a large percentage of domestic teachers) are on renewable, rather than continuing contracts. The vast majority of those continue to work in the same position if they do at least a decent job.

Something has spurred you into looking into other schools/positions and so it does bear considering making the move if you honestly think the new school/position (or other possible new schools) could be fulfilling/rewarding in a way that your more secure current position is not.

As for guaranteed positions, they can change for the worst in many cases. I am far from an expert in EU/Swiss labor law so can't really speak to that, BUT, I am currently working for an organization that allegedly has great security and retention yet fully realize that the situation could change tomorrow if the powers that be make the wrong (for me) policy/budget change.

So, you may be better off staying where you are, but that shouldn't stop you from fully considering all of your options.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Just to clarify, in many European countries after the initial two years, you do get basically a permanent contract--the kind where you have to perform the Cruciatus Curse on a student in front of other students and teachers to MAYBE get sacked after a drawn out process. So leadership whims are not as much of a thing, and even budget concerns often require considerable documentation before people on permanent contracts can be let go. The required notification for termination can be pretty significant. They really are permanent contracts in many cases.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Some of those tenure periods are as short as a year.