Seeking advice

straycat2019

Seeking advice

Post by straycat2019 »

Hello all,

I'm a relatively new teacher and I'm planning to apply/have already applied for international schools through ISS-Shrole. I would like to ask couple of questions.

A brief introduction: I'm Asian, a TCK (Third Culture Kid) received bachelor's degree at a univ. in the US and MA TESOL and TESOL teaching certificate in Asia. I have about 2-3 years of experience working as a full time teacher in a school and a private institution, and 5 years working as a curriculum developer for K-12. No IB/AP experience but I was an AP coordinator/SAT supervisor doing some admin things related to administering and organizing the tests. I have applied for several ESL/ELL/EAL teaching positions in Asia through ISS-Shrole but had no luck getting even an interview. Actually, I have started working on this since 2017 and managed to get some Skype interviews back then. Since I have not heard anything from any schools yet, I'm assuming that I have received bad reference from a recent supervisor from a school that I used to work. This is pretty recent reference that I have received from them. Would this affect me from getting even considered? I have already asked my supervising teacher and dept. head for references since they know me better but I'm so worried about all this and would like to ask for your advice.

Also, is there any way that I could get some kind of IB teaching certificate (or similar equivalent) to increase my chances for a international teaching job?

Any thoughts on what I can do at this point?
shadowjack

Re: Seeking advice

Post by shadowjack »

Hi Straycat!

Some advice. coordinating and supervising and administering and organizing the tests isn't a big highlight. You can use it to show organizational skills as one of your key skills on your CV, though.

Curriculum developer depends on for which company/school. It could be another key skill on your CV.

You are also looking in Asia for jobs, but you're Asian. Some recommendations then. Look at places like Mongolia, or Central Asia, or expand your worldview and look at Africa, Europe, the USA, and Central/South America. Why? With your limited experience, many Asian schools won't want to hire you. It is cheaper to hire "English speaking" aids EAL from the local population. So they do. Going outside of Asia will possibly open more doors for you.

Be prepared to start at some really crappy school, just to get your two years in and move on to a higher level school. At the same time, don't let that scare you from applying to good schools - it's only electronic paper :-)

If you have the flexibility to quit at short notice, look at TIEonline in July/August when schools need teachers NOW to fill unexpected vacancies. Apply.

Use your new references... keep trying to get your foot in the door.

On another note - are you certified in any other area? Can you get certified in any other area? That might open more doors than just TESOL...
straycat2019

Post by straycat2019 »

Hello shadowjack,

Thank you so much for your advice! I'll look into applying for schools in other continents other than Asia. I thought it was worth the try because they would want to hire a local to avoid any visa hassles... but anyway. Yeah, I'll definitely apply for schools in other countries.

And... no, I do not have any other certification other than TESOL. I'm interested in doing guidance counseling or social studies but I'm not sure doing one of these would even worth the try... I thought of doing math or science but those are not my areas of interest.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Where was your teaching experience at, was it an IS that used an IE curriculum or was it in a language or cram school?

Exam organization and administration for AP is more a line item on a resume, I agree with @SJ its not a very strong factor.

To begin with they arent giving you the time of day because you dont have a professional edu credential and your ESOL certificate isnt worth anything, you also dont fit the look of what ISs want (youre Asian, they want white ITs). It sounds like youre an Asian ET trying to break into IE in a field thats dominated and saturated in supply with westerners, ISs get hundreds of these applications a year.

Yes there are various certificates with the IB from workshop/seminar certificates to T&L (Teaching and Learning) certificates, they arent going to help you very much and they arent going to be much of a benefit given the cost.

I would concur with @SJ that you look at a different teaching area, youre just not what an IS is looking for when they think of an ESOL IT. Social studies is pretty saturated, and you are a long way and a lot of work from being a marketable counselor

I would consider ghosting the negative reference and experience from your resume.
straycat2019

Post by straycat2019 »

Thanks for your advice!

I understand I do not have the look of ET or do not have the IT experience or credentials. But I thought I could make it through because I have spent good amount of time and money getting degrees and the certificate, which turned out to be nothing! What was I doing for the past......... ten years?! I felt I have wasted my time haha! Thanks to all the white folks out there.

I really don't know what I should do at this point. So, unless I get a certification in other area, it is unlikely for me to get offered a job.

BTW, I worked for about two years at a cram school and a year at a local school both in Asia - which won't mean anything (right?) because it is not considered an IT school...
Trix18

Post by Trix18 »

What is your BA in? From what I understand, there are several ways to get your US teaching credentials online. That would help quite a bit, I would think. My guess is that is the biggest disqualification.
straycat2019

Post by straycat2019 »

Trix18 wrote:
> What is your BA in? From what I understand, there are several ways to get
> your US teaching credentials online. That would help quite a bit, I would
> think. My guess is that is the biggest disqualification.

BA in arts & humanities area... I'll consider getting US teaching credentials online. I guess it is better than nothing. What are your thoughts on doing another master's? Is it worth doing it or geting experience teaching at a local school?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

You can teach English. You can teach Socials/History. You could look at any number of Praxis tests, do TeachNow out of Washington DC and get certified. If you have US citizenship, work in the US for two years then head out overseas, or just leverage your teaching credential after TeachNow to get to a school.

The problem with teaching in Asia is they WON"T consider you a local because you don't fit their view of a local. But you're not certified so they won't consider you an expat. It's a catch-22...
straycat2019

Post by straycat2019 »

shadowjack wrote:
> You can teach English. You can teach Socials/History. You could look at any
> number of Praxis tests, do TeachNow out of Washington DC and get certified.
> If you have US citizenship, work in the US for two years then head out
> overseas, or just leverage your teaching credential after TeachNow to get
> to a school.
>
> The problem with teaching in Asia is they WON"T consider you a local
> because you don't fit their view of a local. But you're not certified so
> they won't consider you an expat. It's a catch-22...

You're right. Well, I've received an interview request (Yay!) and I don't know how it is going to turn out but hope it goes well.. it's not a top notch but I'm so glad I'm finally hearing something. I really want to get this one and I'll be preparing for this but what kind of questions should I ask them, other than the obvious questions... I don't want to look desperate but I want this school to be worth it - I mean I really don't have any other choice. I really want to work at an IS.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

@straycat2019,

The issue is that you can be hired at Chinese schools running international curriculum without a credential, but the long term issue is that you'll be stuck in those type of schools going forward. For the long term if you want flexibility in where you work and at least of having the option of working in some of the better paid schools which in China are the international schools serving foreign passport holders, you'll need to invest in getting a foreign teaching credential. Your TESOL won't cut it.

Getting experience working at a Chinese school running an international curriculum can be good for your resume. Depending on the school the students may or may not have the language skills to do well in IGCSE, AP, or IB curriculum, but getting the experience teaching the curriculum will be helpful. However, without a credential the other type of schools and even some of the better paying Chinese schools won't look at you. So if you can find a decent job, and then start working on getting a credential while living in Asia, that would probably be worth your time if you plan to teach for the long haul.

From reading your previous posts, I wouldn't assume the lack of interest is based on a bad resume. I think it's a lack of credential. I know a Chinese Canadian guy who was doing ESL teaching for years, and once he had a credential and some substitute teaching experience at an Chinese school running a foreign curriculum, he started to get decent offers to teach AP/IB/IGCSE courses. They were not outstanding, but he's on track to work his way up.

ESL teaching outside of international schools is a dead-end path. Yeah, people can make money and pay their bills, but outside of few other places in Asia, the job won't take you anywhere. Sure, you can be a head teacher, but still that doesn't mean much other places.

The other concern is that China could at some point decide that only teachers credentialed to teach in their own country are eligible to work teaching subjects in international schools. Something like that happened in Singapore a few years back. There were people who had been teaching for decades at schools in Singapore that suddenly were given notice that they had to have credentials to teach or they were going to lose their jobs. Now, that doesn't seem likely to happen soon in China, but you never know. So even if you get a lot of teaching experience with AP or IB, you may be excluded from working in other countries without the credential.

Getting the credential takes some time and some money, but it really can open up opportunities.

As to your question, I don't know what you think the "obvious questions" are, so it's hard to advise you what else you should ask. The most important thing is that the school provide you with a Z visa that allows you to receive a work permit. I'd want to know about the school schedule and what obligations besides teaching you would have. If it's a boarding school are you required to supervise study hall in the evening or something like that. How many different types of classes (preps) you'd have and the size of the classes. The thing is that with locally run schools there can be a lot of bait and switch with stuff like this.

Good luck.

Eion
straycat2019

Post by straycat2019 »

eion_padraig wrote:
> @straycat2019,
>
> The issue is that you can be hired at Chinese schools running international
> curriculum without a credential, but the long term issue is that you'll be
> stuck in those type of schools going forward. For the long term if you want
> flexibility in where you work and at least of having the option of working
> in some of the better paid schools which in China are the international
> schools serving foreign passport holders, you'll need to invest in getting
> a foreign teaching credential. Your TESOL won't cut it.
>
> Getting experience working at a Chinese school running an international
> curriculum can be good for your resume. Depending on the school the
> students may or may not have the language skills to do well in IGCSE, AP,
> or IB curriculum, but getting the experience teaching the curriculum will
> be helpful. However, without a credential the other type of schools and
> even some of the better paying Chinese schools won't look at you. So if you
> can find a decent job, and then start working on getting a credential while
> living in Asia, that would probably be worth your time if you plan to teach
> for the long haul.
>
> From reading your previous posts, I wouldn't assume the lack of interest is
> based on a bad resume. I think it's a lack of credential. I know a Chinese
> Canadian guy who was doing ESL teaching for years, and once he had a
> credential and some substitute teaching experience at an Chinese school
> running a foreign curriculum, he started to get decent offers to teach
> AP/IB/IGCSE courses. They were not outstanding, but he's on track to work
> his way up.
>
> ESL teaching outside of international schools is a dead-end path. Yeah,
> people can make money and pay their bills, but outside of few other places
> in Asia, the job won't take you anywhere. Sure, you can be a head teacher,
> but still that doesn't mean much other places.
>
> The other concern is that China could at some point decide that only
> teachers credentialed to teach in their own country are eligible to work
> teaching subjects in international schools. Something like that happened in
> Singapore a few years back. There were people who had been teaching for
> decades at schools in Singapore that suddenly were given notice that they
> had to have credentials to teach or they were going to lose their jobs.
> Now, that doesn't seem likely to happen soon in China, but you never know.
> So even if you get a lot of teaching experience with AP or IB, you may be
> excluded from working in other countries without the credential.
>
> Getting the credential takes some time and some money, but it really can
> open up opportunities.
>
> As to your question, I don't know what you think the "obvious
> questions" are, so it's hard to advise you what else you should ask.
> The most important thing is that the school provide you with a Z visa that
> allows you to receive a work permit. I'd want to know about the school
> schedule and what obligations besides teaching you would have. If it's a
> boarding school are you required to supervise study hall in the evening or
> something like that. How many different types of classes (preps) you'd have
> and the size of the classes. The thing is that with locally run schools
> there can be a lot of bait and switch with stuff like this.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Eion

Eion, I really appreciate your helpful and encouraging advice. I'll go ahead and get the credential online once I find a job.

Another concern that I have is that I'm not a US citizen - I'm Asian. Would this hold me back from getting a decent job? I was talking to my former supervisor at a local school and asked the same question but he said the nationality wouldn't matter. But of course, I assume he would definitely get a white folk for an English teacher if he had a choice. I also have a friend, an Asian, who has a teaching credential from Michigan to teach K-8 but she is also having trouble finding a job as an elementary teacher at an international school in Asia.

As for the interview, it is not a school in China but around that neighborhood in Asia. There isn't much to learn about the school when I did the research because they told me that they will start using the common core/AP curriculum this year. I'm thinking this is a local school, where they started to use international curriculum (just like you said). I feel this school is a good match (at least, at the moment) because this is the only option I have right now and I'm not sure how long I should wait hear back from other schools that I applied.

You said I should ask if the school can provide me with a visa that can get me a work permit. But I was thinking this was something obvious that the school should provide. If they can't provide me with a visa, how can I work at that school?

I'm learning so much from your advice and the previous posts that I'm reading and I really thank everyone for your help!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Straycat - if I were Asian, I wouldn't naturally assume that Asia is my location of choice to get a teaching job immediately. I'd actually go for someplace like Africa or South America first, to get the experience. THEN, after cutting my teeth and getting some good references, I'd go for Asia.

If you are a TCK, it won't be your accent or grasp of English holding you back. It will be because of lack of experience and your name if it is obvious. But the most important is the experience. As to the Asian schools not wanting to hire Asians - I think it varies. Not being Asian I can't fully speak to that. If you really want Asia, get certified and then try again.
straycat2019

Post by straycat2019 »

shadowjack wrote:
> Straycat - if I were Asian, I wouldn't naturally assume that Asia is my
> location of choice to get a teaching job immediately. I'd actually go for
> someplace like Africa or South America first, to get the experience. THEN,
> after cutting my teeth and getting some good references, I'd go for Asia.
>
> If you are a TCK, it won't be your accent or grasp of English holding you
> back. It will be because of lack of experience and your name if it is
> obvious. But the most important is the experience. As to the Asian schools
> not wanting to hire Asians - I think it varies. Not being Asian I can't
> fully speak to that. If you really want Asia, get certified and then try
> again.

Thanks, Shadowjack. Actually, I do not prefer Asia in particular. I just thought schools in Asia would want me - but I guess I was wrong after reading the replies and advice from you all. In order for me to even start getting the credential, I'll need a job. So, I'll just try to get this job that was offered. Hopefully, it would work out well. I'll apply for schools in S. America/Africa too. Thanks!
straycat2019

Post by straycat2019 »

Okay, so I had a Skype interview with a school in Taiwan.
It only took 20 minutes or so... for the whole interview. The school dean asked me about my teaching experience and explained how the school was, how many students will be. I've had many questions but I felt that he said what he has to say. I felt he was in a rush but he made his points across and didn't ask if I had any questions. I could not tell if this is a "right" way to proceed the interview. He told me that they recently opened this school (or division) this year and started to hire new teachers who are willing to work there. It was originally a public government run school, intended to provide two curriculums for students to choose: either Taiwanese or American. He kept asking what grade I wish to teach and I shared my experience teaching middle and high school.

Despite a short interview, he said he would give me a package offer for me to consider.

My question at this point is... is it possible to decide within 20 minutes of the interview whether to hire someone or not? I've read that it usually comes a follow-up interview and that's when the discussion of classroom management and etc., comes. Is this a fraud...? I wanted to ask some questions but he said I should ask the foreign teachers’ liaison for more details via email. I'm very confused right now. They seem to like me, I guess?

Do you think I should look for other schools or wait and see what they'll offer?
straycat2019

Post by straycat2019 »

The package is here and a lot of this is left blank.
I'm used to what the schools offered in the past, so all the blanks is really confusing.

They filled out the dates so that's good - a two year contract.

Do they want me to negotiate the salary and the duties I will be having? I'm really lost!