Job-hunting in Europe with a non-EU passport

teachertraveler

Job-hunting in Europe with a non-EU passport

Post by teachertraveler »

I've been teaching internationally now for almost 10 years, exclusively in Europe and have been at 3 different schools. Within the last 2 years or so as I've been looking for something new, I've found it really difficult to find openings for people with non-EU passports.

This is a dramatic change as in the not-so-distant past, this was not the case. Even schools I had previously interviewed for are no longer accepting applications unless you have an EU passport or current working papers for that country. I've seen several schools have openings for positions that are usually easy to fill stay open for months and it made me wonder how much of that was due to lack of qualified applicants.

As many international schools have English as their primary language and are seeking out teachers who speak English fluently or at a native level what happens now since as one of the few English-speaking European countries will most likely no longer have a seamless visa system? How will this affect recruiting? Any tips for teachers who want to stay in Europe but may have a non-EU passport?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

First, get an EU passport, thats really the best advice, anything less and your just playing the system like every other foreigner and expat.

Second, while Brexit will change the immigration and labor system with England, GB, UK and the EU, that system and whatever it is, is going to be easier, than the current system with the primary native English speaking regions of AUS, CAN, and the US. What that will mean is essentially a longer wait for UK nationals. ISs will first try to find a bilingual EU IT with high enough English proficiency but will then relatively quickly move to finding a UK national, which will still put UK ITs ahead of and before AUS, CAN, US ITs.
beanie

Re: Job-hunting in Europe with a non-EU passport

Post by beanie »

Purely anecdotal, but in my experience I was able to work in an EU country and also Switzerland on a non-EU passport. Switzerland seemed to be a bigger hassle for the school, but they were willing to go through the process on my behalf. It's trickier though because in order to obtain visas, employers need to prove that there are no suitable Swiss candidates first, and then no EU candidates. But I've found that if they want you, they want you. There are also quotas now for how many EU permits can be granted. I apply if I feel the school is a good fit for me - regardless of their citizenship requirements. I'd say my experience is not the norm though. Having an EU passport is almost necessary. Maybe Brexit will shake things up - there are so many British teachers in Europe.
sid

Post by sid »

Are you considering mainstream or the “other” Europe? Mainstream (Italy, Spain, France, etc) often have more such requirements and worse packages. The rest of Europe is more open minded and pays better. I’ve been in two European schools so far, without eu passport. My current school has plenty of non eu people.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Agree with sid. Hidden gems for teachers in Europe:
Bucharest, Prague, Sofia, Warsaw, and Zagreb
teachertraveler

@PsyGuy unfortunately, no Irish or Italian ancestry for me so no EU passport.

@sid, I was just shocked at the change: that within three years so many schools had altered their policy, even schools that previously had given me offers. I have looked into the "other" Europe, especially cities I've enjoyed visiting, but hadn't found a good match with philosophy or job availability. All good suggestions though.

@beanie, yes, my experience at my last three schools was they had to prove there was no one else, but it was easy as I was a native speaker with all the qualifications they were looking for. And like you said, if they want you, they want you. It's often about pure luck and being in the right place at the right time.

@fine dude I've had many former colleagues who started in schools in those cities but most left within two years. Makes me wonder if it was the schools or the cities themselves. I've had the experience of being in a fantastic school in a depressing city and a depressing school in a fantastic city. Hoping this time to find a good match!
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

I dont disagree ith @Sid its easier outside the med and the WE, but those arent the places most ITs think of when they think "Europe"

@teachertraveler

Youve moved around a lot, have you considered digging in somewhere where you an get citizenship after 5 years of residency, and then doing that?
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Agreed, teachertraveler. I'd only aim at top schools in these cities and it's pretty competitive, but worth the fight. I know some superstar teachers working in these cities and they would have been at any elite school elsewhere.
teachertraveler

@PsyGuy That's what I'm hoping for: to find a place to put down roots and properly invest in the community.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@teachertraveler

So what about just staying wherever you are. Youve been to 3 ISs in 10 years you have established residency and recent current residency time where you are, so just stick it out another 2-3 years until you get your 5 years, then get your EU citizenship. If you hadnt moved around so much youd be eligible for EU citizenship by now, and I dont see how another move gets you closer to doing that.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Depending on the country and the conditions, of course.
teachertraveler

@PsyGuy, unfortunately that ship sailed a year ago. As I mentioned to finedude, I was in a fantastic school in a depressing city and my mental health was worth more than residency papers. My school was wonderfully understanding that my whole life couldn't revolve around the school and I had a one of those rare principal who was empathetic and supportive even while still trying to tempt me to stay on.
The "5 years you get a passport" doesn't play out like that in real life, sadly, and I've had more than one friend who had difficulties going through the passport bureaucracy, living in limbo for years as @Thomas Pirate mentioned depending on their home passport and the requirements of the EU country.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@teachertraveler

The "5 years you get a passport" didnt work out for YOU in real life, it works out swimmingly well for other IT, depending on your home of origin and the individual EU country requirements. While you consider that ship to have sailed you could go back to whatever country that was in another different city and have an otherwise amazing quality of life outside of your IS, and maybe you wouldnt lose those 4 years. There are options, and ALL of them are better than the woe is me, I dont have an EU passport and dont have working papers, and all the alternative options are doing what everyone ele is trying to go to get sponsorship for a visa, because those are the pathways have an EU passport and skip the line or play the game of trying to get a sponsored visa like everyone else.