Visible tattoos

MsH

Visible tattoos

Post by MsH »

What is the general feeling internationally on visible tattoos? I have one on my forearm that is a stack of books topped with a cup of tea, flanked by lavender blooms, with a Shakespeare quote on the spines. I also have one on my calf that is a mama humpback whale with the design of a galaxy on her. Am I going to be restricted to long sleeves and tights or pants forever while overseas? Are there areas it would be more or less acceptable than others? Just want to start getting a feeling for my options.
Thames Pirate

Re: Visible tattoos

Post by Thames Pirate »

Varies school to school, but once hired in WE you'd probably be okay. Although until you get a permanent contract or a full read on admin/community attitude, I'd be conservative while at work, especially on the leg.
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

Following as I'm thinking about getting one next Summer.
adminpaul

Post by adminpaul »

On the ISR Discussion Boards there are two articles with many responses from teachers. Here is a link.

https://internationalschoolsreviewdiscu ... ?s=tattoos
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Generally they are undesirable and ill advised, you should likely expect to have to cover them up during duty time. There have been ITs dismissed for tattoos (these were pretty offensive tats), that were not evident at interview. Off duty, you can likely wear whatever is tolerable in the local region.

Yes there are regions with much greater restrictions, In Japan for example visible tats are symbolic of the Yakuza, and they are not permitted in a number of athletic clubs and associations or social venues.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

My school, an upper tier school in China, has lots of people with visible tattoos. It may be more of an issue at schools run by local administrators, but I've had friends working at those schools with visible tattoos as well.

Eion
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

it generally isn't an issue unless you're up to your chin in tats, or went tyson one day. if they are generally inappropriate you might have an issue with them being visible.

good luck!

v.