Masters in Educational and Leadership

Spawnboy99

Masters in Educational and Leadership

Post by Spawnboy99 »

Which would be the best/cheapest place to do the above course online. Have looked at Universities in the USA, UK, NZ and Australia. Prices vary and seem's NZ and Australia are the most expensive.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Best would be to go to a global ivy (Harvard, Oxbridge, etc.) otherwise assuming its accredited a Masters is a Masters is a Masters.

Cheapest youre looking at programs such as the Uni. Portsmouth (UK) which has an M.Res in Edu you can do online in one or two years for £4600, they have a M.Sc in Ed.Ld over two years thats £7K. UoPe has an M.Ed in Teaching thats $2600, that is IB centrist and meets all IB PD, but there accreditation is weak. All the programs are 100% online.
vandsmith

Re: Response

Post by vandsmith »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Best would be to go to a global ivy (Harvard Oxbridge, etc.) otherwise
> assuming its accredited a Masters is a Masters is a Masters.
>
> Cheapest youre looking at programs such as the Uni. Portsmouth (UK) which
> has an M.Res in Edu you can do online in one or two years for £4600, they
> have a M.Sc in Ed.Ld over two years thats £7K. UoPe has an M.Ed in Teaching
> thats $2600, that is IB centrist and meets all IB PD, but there
> accreditation is weak. All the programs are 100% online.

do we know that the UoPe is weak yet? or is that based on it being online? for an ib school, it would seem to fit the requirements for a MA with no reservations.

perhaps out of ib - maybe - it wouldn't be recognized... but i guess i'm asking if an ib school could not recognize it? would they have to?

v.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@vandsmith

Well if youve looked at their online content, you arent going to be wowed by it.
First, their weakness however is their soft/weak accreditation.
Second, the LW is looking for an Ed.Ld program the UoPe program is a MAT (Master of Arts in Teaching). What are you going to do with it, if you just want a bump on the salary scale to the advanced degree band this will very likely accomplish that, if your using it as a qualification into a leadership appointment, than its not going to be confused with an actual Ed.Ld degree.
Third, the IBO dosnt regulate advanced degrees, their is no guidance document or rule of the IBO that X masters are acceptable and Y are not. You could have a cocktail napkin with the word "Masters" scrawled on it in with an eyebrow pencil and the IBO wouldnt have a position on acceptability of it.
Fourth, of course an IB IS could not/decline too recognize the degree, the IBOs guidance doesnt supersede the regulatory policy or statutes of a region. The IBO cant force a regulatory authority to accept or grant license to provide instructional services because they deem it so (the IBO cant dictate to the TCL that an IB workshop certificate or this Masters is equal to QTS).
What the IBO can do and has done is to issue a directive that this degree meets the PD requirements for IB authorization, because its the IBOs authorization, they can do whatever they want within the sphere of their organization, program/curriculum. A recruiter or leadership may have no clue about it, and may have to confirm it with the IBO, but eventually the answer is going to be "you dont need to provide further training or PD to this IT to meet your authorization requirements". There would be nothing stopping or preventing an IS from setting its own policy that they want more, for whatever reason, or no reason. Its their IS, they can govern it how they ant within the confines of the regional regulatory authority.
What they the IS can also do, is accept the degree program for the IBOs PD requirement and deny the validity of the degree itself, either as a matter of internal policy or as a wider external reflection of the regional regulating authority. They could say this UoPe degree isnt accredited, its not valid, your salary band is bachelors, or if its the sole qualification absent a credential, they can say your not qualified as a professional edu entirely. Even though the degree meets the IBOs PD requirements.
Illiane_Blues

Re: Masters in Educational and Leadership

Post by Illiane_Blues »

I inquired at my school and they would recognise it and give me the pay bump upon completion.
Going to try the cocktail napkin first though, that would be even cheaper.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@Illiane_Blues

Again, depends what you want to do with it, if a salary band increase is all you want, this is a very low cost means of doing that. If there are other goals, such as leadership this may not accomplish them.
Heliotrope

Re: Masters in Educational and Leadership

Post by Heliotrope »

I might also enrol if I can free up some time, but just for the pay bump. And some schools like a Masters on your CV (sometimes for the wrong reasons), so it makes me a bit more desirable for future schools, regardless of which one it is (except if it's for a leadership positions, as PsyGuy says).
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

There are other goals the UoPe program wouldnt fulfill. For those who need PD to renew their credentials (essentially in the US) the UoPe program is the cheapest source of graduate degree units.