Free IB Master of Education

Helen Back

Free IB Master of Education

Post by Helen Back »

https://www.uopeople.edu/programs/ed/de ... ation-med/

Has anybody looked into this? I'm quite intrigued. It looks solid, but how would schools look at it?

Just to clarify, I have a BA and B.Ed.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Free IB Master of Education

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Know nothing about it but from a cursory glance I had to say, they chose a very unfortunate name. Might be a great option but sounds distinctly dodgy/amateurish/Marxist on the face of it. Will be interesting to read opinions/insights from others.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

Since it's offered in collaboration with the International Baccalaureate (IB), I assume it's decent enough to be taken seriously by international schools, since IB is quite serious, so it should count as any other proper MA.

Unfortunate name indeed though.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

it's not free, but it would only cost about $2600. the question isn't whether IB schools would accept it but rather, if any other schools would accept it as a real masters course. the presentation on it in vienna a few weeks ago was great, the idea for it is pretty good as well, as it caters specifically to transient populations. anyways...

it's interesting to note that whenever anything like education is given for 'free' or at a reduced rate, people are stunned but more suspicious. i guess it was more the 'marxist' comment. i mean, take it how you want, but how does the idea of a university dedicated to giving extremely reduced rates get tagged as dodgy? and then 'marxist' as if it's a bad thing. i guess the idea that people should be educated without having to go bankrupt is a social marxist idea, and with today's climate, that's akin to saying you want to eat babies, burn dollar bills, and lock up hillary.

maybe i should stop working so much on the weekends...

v.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I heard about it at the conference at Bath over the summer. The main issue is what do you want to do with it?

The general rule is that outside of a handful of Global Ivy Unis a masters is a masters is a masters, this however comes with the proviso that the Masters is accredited. UoPe is somewhere in between when it comes to accreditation. The standard for US Unis is accreditation by one of the regional accrediting bodies, such as WASC. The UoPe program and Uni is accredited by DEAC, while its not a degree mill, its generally not accepted. For example, you wouldnt be able to use this Masters to meet the requirement for the CA CLEAR credential, you wouldnt be able to use it to meet the requirements (as of now) for the DC Admin credential, you also ouldnt be able to use this credential (likely) for a doctoral degree program anywhere. You are likely going to have issues with the degree in places that dont accept online degrees, and there isnt a Uni with a strong enough name behind it that you could muddle the format of delivery with this Uni, thus if your in OS academies or DSs they may very well not except the degree at all. However, if your just looking for the cheapest way to get on the advance degree band on the salary scale, this will very probably work.

As for the seriousness of the IB branding there have been IB professional certificates for a while, and finding someone who knows of them or thinks they are worth anything, aside from a few foundational IBWS is very uncommon. No amount of training equals any amount of experience is the rule. Youre not going to show up with a shiny new IB Masters and having never taught the program successfully, the only value its going to have is over those candidates who have nothing IB or only have a workshop certificate. Which is all the IB brand really does for you as a practical factor, like the T&L certificates you meet all the PD requirements (meaning you are exempt from having to complete a level 1 workshop). Level 1 workshops are about USD$600-800 for an online and more plus travel costs for a weekend workshop. The economics make sense if you have a lot of teaching subjects, then this Masters (as well as the T&L certificates) make more economic sense. Most ISs will pay or supply training as part of employment so this could be a really pricey (and not to mention time and resource intensive) pathway to getting training.

As for the cost, its not free it will cost you about USD$2600 for the program and more if you want to do both secondary and primary. Which with U. Port raising their annual fee too £3500/yr or £7K for the program this is the least expensive Masters programs available.

@vandsmith

The suspicion comes from the innate understanding that things cost coin. Nothing is free, if youre not paying for it someone else is. You look at the officers and the content and someones got to do that, theres only so far you can go on volunteer providers and grant handouts. Its exciting now because its new but what about in 10 years when the content needs to be updated, will the volunteers be there again, how long will the private corporate and organizational grants last, or at some point when the novelty wears off, will the whole concept and program collapse and your USD$2600 got you a degree from some failed online Uni that was someones iTunes U inspired idea, thats memory only remains on a Wikipedia page.
sid

Post by sid »

It’s a Masters. Conspiracy theories aside, it’s a Masters.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

vandsmith wrote:
> it's not free, but it would only cost about $2600. the question isn't whether IB
> schools would accept it but rather, if any other schools would accept it as a real
> masters course. the presentation on it in vienna a few weeks ago was great, the
> idea for it is pretty good as well, as it caters specifically to transient populations.
> anyways...
>
> it's interesting to note that whenever anything like education is given for 'free'
> or at a reduced rate, people are stunned but more suspicious. i guess it was more
> the 'marxist' comment. i mean, take it how you want, but how does the idea of a
> university dedicated to giving extremely reduced rates get tagged as dodgy? and
> then 'marxist' as if it's a bad thing. i guess the idea that people should be educated
> without having to go bankrupt is a social marxist idea, and with today's climate,
> that's akin to saying you want to eat babies, burn dollar bills, and lock up hillary.
>
> maybe i should stop working so much on the weekends...
>
==============================
I was just commenting on the name. The People's anything should in theory be a good thing but too many less than egalitarian/democratic/legit groups have greatly tainted/cheapened the idea. Some examples would include the People's Republic of China, the People's Car (Hitler's VW), the original People's Court (again, a Nazi invention) and the reality TV People's Court (no offense to Wapner fans but it's a little dodgy compared to an actual, legal court).

As for Marx, not greatly alarmed in theory by many of his ideas but again, has been greatly mis-used and abused to get/keep some very nasty people in power.

I received my Masters via an online program and would have loved to have spent a whole lot less than I did.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

I disagree with @Sid, yes its a Masters but again as written above, what do you want to do with it. Again if its just put it on your resume and get the coin increase for salary it will probably work in the majority of cases. If you have more specific uses than it may very well not be a Masters at all.
Helen Back

Post by Helen Back »

I asked about it purely because I feel like studying something. I'm not in an IB school. If it helps me get into an IB school all well and good, but it's not my primary motivation. If I had to pay $10,000 plus for a masters I probably wouldn't bother. Primary motivation is self fullfilment and perhaps a small pay raise.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Helen Back

For the coin it will very likely accomplish all those goals.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

I agree with @Sid and @PsyGuy: Yes, it's a Masters.
And with the second-cheapest option being soooo much more expensive, I would go for it. You're bound to learn lots, and a weird name shouldn't stop you.
Let us know how you like it once you're a months in please, as I know a number of people that would be interested.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@Helen Back

I am actually enrolling for the program, even though my doctoral degree is in Education, as its the cheapest option for getting my PD hours to renew and maintain my DODEA credential, especially for graduate level courses.