Objectives and Success Criteria on the Board

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@expatscot

Thanks for clarifying, I agree.

@Thames Pirate

No they arent different things, and yes it is national.

@secondplace

All very true, and your absolutely correct, but UK NC is way, way easier to write.

You do realize there are whole majorities of Americans who think they need a passport to go to HI and based on the movie Brave Heart and Robin Hood, and the media that the UK is all one country and not 4 countries, I cant fix that, and there is the whole UK NC is a lot easier to write factor, so yes I realize that, but its going to stay the UK NC.
You do realize GB doesnt make it easier, Its not called "The Article 50 execution of the Lisbon Treaty for England, Scotland, and Wales" (or whatever the full title is), its called Brexit.
Thames Pirate

Re: Objectives and Success Criteria on the Board

Post by Thames Pirate »

How can someone be a teacher and not know the difference between curriculum and standards? Standards refers to what students should know at a given point. Curriculum refers to how they get there. Seriously, this is pretty basic.

Also, Alaska, Minnesota*, Texas, Nebraska, and Virginia have never used them, and several others have repealed their use of them. So no, not national. Not a curriculum.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Methodology is how you get there.

Alaska, Minnesota, Texas, Nebraska, and Virginia all have algebra, computing the first differential is the same at all of them, the alphabet has 26 characters in all of them, American Standard English is comprised of two tones one long , one short. the water cycle works the same in all of them, W=F/A in all of them. The laws of thermodynamics works the same in all of them. So yes, National.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Wait, teaching facts is now a national curriculum? Who knew? PsyGuy for secretary of education!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

So transferring knowledge, or as you describe as "teaching facts", isnt a curriculum because @Thames Pirate claims it isnt?
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Whatever. You can have the last word if it makes you happy.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

So by that logic there is a WC (World Curriculum), for math and science at least, since mathematical and scientific principals are the same all over the world.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

You're trying to apply logic. That is your mistake.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@WT123

I wouldnt go that far, not in my experience. When I talk to an American IT whether its in a classroom or a pub no matter what the content or grade level from elementary to SLL, we have a shared understanding of what that lessons content is and what that lesson looks like. Especially in DODEA, we get DTs from all over the country, all different states and their classrooms and the content all look the same. How does that happen if we dont have a common and thus national curriculum? CC doesnt run the US NC, nor does the US DOE, nor do state DOEs, its US Unis, they have an expectation that students with X on their transcripts have accomplished the same objectives.

Its not just limited to maths and science, the reading list is different but literature shares a lot of congruence, the same with social studies its not all history, economics and its principals are the same for example.
sid

Post by sid »

One truth I have found around the world: there is not an agreed understanding of what the word "curriculum" signifies. Better schools make an effort to establish their own internal understanding, but those understandings vary considerably.
And life goes on.
There is little point trying to insist that any one understanding prevails. The best one can hope for is to find one's personal view aligned with the view of one's school.
At the end of the day, regardless of one's view, schools need to attend to lots of different aspects of teaching and learning. Who cares which of those aspects are officially considered curriculum, and which aren't? We still need to attend to them all.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@Sid

One of the best written summations regarding curriculum I have read.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Have to disagree with sid. The accrediting bodies do care about what is considered as curriculum and how it is aligned both horizontally and vertically. The irony is established schools don't get hammered by these bodies as much as newer schools do. A rote learning curriculum may not get the attention as a skills-based one and parents are not foolish. They will know which school in town gives their kids the chops they need to succeed later in life. There are some notorious school chains where they all offer is lecture and readymade tests.