Leopardfish?

TeacherGal

Leopardfish?

Post by TeacherGal »

Anyone heard or know anything about this recruiting agency?
mathman85

Re: Leopardfish?

Post by mathman85 »

A bunch of teachers trying to make some extra cash by matching warm bodies to lower tier schools.
harper

Post by harper »

So Cairo American College, an american embassy school is lower tier? That's news to me. They have seven openings on this website. Oh well, you learn something new every day.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

actually, between leopardfish and teacherhorizons, i have seen a lot of good schools advertize - i suppose i shouldn't say "a lot" but there are some, certainly not 3rd tier. but many are lower quality for sure.

i think it's more the economics for the school. i have to believe there will be a big change - eventually - in the way schools get at prospective employees.

v.
mathman85

Post by mathman85 »

These days every other website has the same vacancies. Just having openings from two decent schools will not make you another SA. Cairo and Delhi are really not the most sought after places if you look deeper at pollution and safety issues.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

It is on the downside of its glory days. Not necessarily meaning it is a lower level, but it is not what it was...
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Clarify @mathman85 to include hardship regions and its accurate, Leopardfish is just some ITs trying to make some extra coin with a side hustle. Its common for jobs services to attempt to legitimize themselves with a few higher tier IS vacancies, these vacancies are typically pitched on spec and as discussed above are peddled to multiple job service sites (assuming they actually rep those ISs and just arent cross listing vacancies that they dont really represent). Its not going to make Leopardfish the next SA or ISS, it wont even make them the next Carney Sandoe.
kgirl

Post by kgirl »

@psyguy is Carney any good?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Carney Sandoe is mainly US. Search is what you want for international. That and take a subscription to TIEonline - get their red star deal now for 29 bucks a year...
kgirl

Post by kgirl »

Thank you. i'm with ISS and tie, recently joined Carney and wanted more info.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@kgirl

CS is reputable, if they repped you and advanced you an offer I wouldnt be weary of it. However, I agree with @SJ they tend to be more US and what they do in IE is largely leadership and when they are IT vacancies they are usually esoteric ISs that arent really part of the IE circuit, reclusive boarding ISs/DSs or ISs in regions that have very, very little demand. CS is the type of agency you use when your recruiting time line is greater than a year and the IS wants their hand held and doesnt want to do the work, and thinks nothing of an extended timeline.

The point is that CS is a very, very, minor player in IE, and Leopardfish isnt even to their level. Theyre some ITs side hustle who have a website, they are just matching warm bodies to empty slots on a spreadsheet. They get a commission on one IT and it covers their tech overhead and costs, anything and everything more is just coin in their pocket.
kgirl

Post by kgirl »

@psyguy thank you for your response. CS has already referred me to 2 schools, one I hear of before the other will be newly opened, both in China.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@kgirl

I wouldnt be worried of any offer CS advances to you. CS does their due diligence, and they have a reputation worth protecting. You still need to do your research, and understand that new ISs come with their own set of growing pains, and that a lot of data is going to be speculative. I dont see CS deceiving or misleading you, but at most playing down the inherent uncertainty of the position.
kgirl

Post by kgirl »

Thanks much