Would you make this move?

mathman85

Would you make this move?

Post by mathman85 »

We are a teacher couple with a kid and steady jobs in the Netherlands. We are being offered posts at a top-tier British school in Thailand. Do you guys think it's worth relocating?
PsyGuy

Inquiry

Post by PsyGuy »

We need a lot more information than that to give you an informed response, but according to my crystal ball (after shaking it and looking at the blue window on the underside), "signs point to yes" and you should accept.
mathman85

Re: Would you make this move?

Post by mathman85 »

Thanks for that PG.

Pros at current job:
stability
clean air & water
Travel opportunities
Pension

Pros at the new job:
$20K increase in combined net annual income
PD
Paid flights & housing
Bonus

Concerned about the political climate in Thailand a bit.
PsyGuy

Inquiry

Post by PsyGuy »

@mathman85

Okay, the notes version is nice but we still need more. What are your goals, your motivations and your priorities?

Addressing some of your basics you cited:
1) PD probably doesnt mean much, at most an IS may have a paid Masters program. A top tier IS may provide a modest PD allowance. Most upper tier ISs provide a workshop each year, its not a huge benefit.
2) You dont need the flights if you dont go anywhere.
3) The political climate will effect you all of zero, during the coupe lots of expats were out and about and didnt even know there was an insurrection going on.

It appears that while you enjoy your current lifestyle, your primary factors are all economic/financial? Are your financial goals short term (debts, upcoming major purchases) or long term (savings)?
mathman85

Post by mathman85 »

A decent place for kids to grow up, long-term savings, and a reasonable mortgage. Can't afford buying one here.
reisgio

Post by reisgio »

Money is not everything!!!
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

Don't underestimate the value of a good pension. We don't have pensions, and are now trying to save lots to finance our retirement through investing in low-cost index-funds, but it since the Dutch pension system is rated (I think) the best in the world (or top 3), the peace of mind that comes with that is worth a few K per year.
However, since you're a teacher couple, the pay increase will be substantial, so you could probably take care of retirement yourselves, and if you want to buy a house, making the jump might be worth it, depending on what your post-retirement plans are.

Make sure you research the school well (how are the ISR reviews for the school?), as well as the city, to see if you would enjoy yourself there long-term, as since you have a kid, I wouldn't recommend moving every few years.

As PsyGuy says, I wouldn't be bothered with political stability in Thailand, and travel opportunities are plentiful in Thailand and the region, with lots of cheap flights, so that shouldn't make a difference.
Clean water shouldn't be a problem in Thailand (water filters), and you can buy air purifiers for clean air indoors (expensive, but if you stay long-term, worth it), but I understand why outdoor air quality would be a concern for a parent. Maybe have a look at how much air pollution varies per district of the city you'll be moving to.

I thought all or most of the decent international schools in The Netherlands provide flights and good PD, but I guess you're not at one of those then. PD is overrated as a benefit anyway I think.

If your long-term goals can't be achieved by staying in The Netherlands, and the health, education & happiness of yourself, your spouse and especially your child wouldn't be seriously harmed by the move, I would go for it.
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

Just a point on political stability.

I have a friend who has lived in Bangkok for the last 15+ years (he's not a teacher.) During the last two coups, he only found out about it when I messaged him on Facebook! You can pretty much live your life without knowing something is going on.
Lastname_Z

Post by Lastname_Z »

Anywhere outside of China or India, there is no reason to be concerned about Air Quality. Don't think of that as a reason to not go to Thailand.
mathman85

Post by mathman85 »

Thank you all. That helps.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

As far as air quality goes, BKKs air quality is poorer than the Netherlands, so if youre REALLY sensitive you might have issues.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

With rising costs, pollution, and a general apathy and prejudice on the part of locals, you'll be better off in the Netherlands. It has never been the land of smiles. Things will only get worse here.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Bangkok - expect a couple of months of smoke from burnings in Indonesia...