Chemistry Teaching Cert

KPan

Chemistry Teaching Cert

Post by KPan »

I am certified to teach Biology and Physical Science but I want to teach Chemistry. I will have 5 total years experience including 2 in an IS. I think it would expand my options in my job search for 2019/20. I have a trailing spouse and a toddler soo... I'm a little worried about my prospects. I did teach Chemistry along with many other science classes at the IS. Is there a path toward licensure in Chemisty in another state? I passed the Chem Praxis, but I do not currently teach it. My state's alternative route requires you to be teaching it more than 50% of your schedule. I teach Physical Science and Biology.
KPan

Re: Chemistry Teaching Cert

Post by KPan »

Ok, so here is another thing that I am wondering, should I just say that my first preference is Chemistry then second is Biology on my application even though I am not certified in Chemistry? I want to be noticed and I know I can teach Chem because I have before and passed the PRAXIS but I also don't want to seem deceptive. I could also be eligible for an alt cert in my state IF I have a position teaching Chemistry. Any thoughts?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

There are a number of options, that depend on your long term goals, I will recommend two (of four) options:

1) Since you have already passed the PRAXIS applying for the Utah (UT) APT level 1 license would require a CRB and an application. This will get you a three year credential, that is renewable but will require PD to renew, though the PD requirements are well explained and pretty flexible.

2) Hawaii (HI) standard credential. This process is faster and the initial cost is less expensive since you dont need to complete a separate CRB. This will get you a 5 year renewable credential, but HI credentials require much more work to renew if you arent teaching in HI. Additionally, the credential costs essentially $55/yr.

The difference between the two depends on what you want to do for the future. Ideally in IE you want to park your credential in a state that doesnt require PD or offers a lifetime credential. The primary options for these are NJ which offers a lifetime credential or the CA CLEAR credential which is 5 years but requires no PD. CA is the "gold" standard of the US NC, whereas NJ offers a true lifetime credential.
If you just want something now, the UT credential will require no work, no travel, you can do the whole thing in a day assuming you have all the documents to upload. You spend half a day getting fingerprints locally and then half a day on the application. That gets you a three year credential relatively quickly (about a month, and most of the time is the CRB) and time to figure out where to go from there.
HI would be the same process minus the cost of the CRB, the HI credential costs per year what you would spend on the 3 year UT credential. The difference is that the UT credential doesnt have any mobility for additional options and the HI credential does. With the HI credential can be used to apply for a credential in CA and NJ the UT one can not.

The non-recommended options are: Massachusetts (MA) and QTS in the UK. The MA option will require you too meet their testing requirements, and while you would get an effective lifetime credential, the cost and work of testing again is unattractive, though you could still consider this as a long term strategy, NJ would offer a better alternative without additional testing.
The other option is applying for QTS, which takes 15 minutes, and costs nothing. However, while I would recommend this as a general strategy, the TCL will not add Chemistry to one of your two fields based on completing a PRAXIS exam, you would need to follow the HI pathway above (or one of the to CA or NJ pathways). Even then their are only fields for two teaching areas, you would have to choose between Physics, Biology and Chemistry.

If youve taught chemistry as a discreet course (such as AP Chemistry) then you should feel comfortable listing it as a preference or stating your qualified (even if not credentialed). However if youve taught some chemistry as part of another course or as part of an integrated course, than I think you are pushing it to claim your qualified based on that and a PRAXIS exam. The worst that will happen though is a recruiter or leadership passes on your application. The concern being you say your qualified to teach chemistry but you have no academic preparation or credential to demonstrate that you are, if you have clear experience sure, if not, than its really just you saying you can teach chemistry.
KPan

Post by KPan »

Thank you so much for the well informed and thorough answer. I may look more in to the Utah pathway. There is an endorsement program through Utah State also. I may investigate in case I want to work on strengthening my credentials. I taught Chemistry at a small international school but it was not AP or IB. It was a small school and I taught all the science from middle school on up. My first love is Biology but I'd love to have more of an edge since it will be a long shot with dependents. Thanks again for your well researched answer.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Kpan

The endorsement program at Utah state will cost you a LOT more than the CRB application fee for the APT credential of about USD$150.
KPan

Post by KPan »

I'll see about the Utah certification and decide if it seems valuable to have more coursework under my belt. I guess I'll get a good impression of my marketability as the season progresses. Thanks again for all your help explaining the options!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@KPan

Coursework is a poor investment compared to experience, 2 years of academic units will mean much less than a year of Chemistry AP/DIP/A* assessments where you can say you taught chemistry and this is how your students did.

If you are going to do coursework, you want to do at least the minimum to qualify as a 'concentration' on your transcript, typically a minimum of 12 credits. A year of general chemistry (with lab) and a semester of organic chemistry will be sufficient. SLL Chemistry is mostly stoichiometry, redox and a touch of organic. Its hard to get out of DIP without some bio-chem, and in lower secondary chemistry you typically find a an environmental science component or integration, but most Uni programs require a full year of organic chem to enroll in bio-chem.
KPan

Post by KPan »

@PsyGuy

Very true. You have good advice. I'll just have to try to convince someone to hire me with two dependents so I can get more Chemistry teaching experience. The fact of the matter is, Biology is my first love but I feel like I need to be more marketable to make up for my trailing spouse and 3 year old!