cover letter question - joint or separate?

vandsmith

cover letter question - joint or separate?

Post by vandsmith »

hi all,

just looking for some perspectives.

when we apply directly to schools, my wife and i sometimes send a joint cover letter/letter of intent...we've had success doing this, and also with separate letters.

what are your thoughts on this - as teachers, or admin or those of you responsible for hiring? does anyone else do this?

thanks!

v.
sid

Re: cover letter question - joint or separate?

Post by sid »

Joint.
Sometimes focusing more on one of you, but always joint.
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

We've done both - sometimes we'll do two separate cover letters, refer to each other in both, and send one email, and in others we'll do a joint cover letter. Remember though that a joint letter will be longer than a separate one - so a greater potential of getting binned if the HT is busy!
sid

Post by sid »

One letter, same length.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

It depends, I disagree with @Sid, there are certainly scenarios where separate cover letter has higher utility, such as your applying to separate divisions and the wasted space on your partner detracts from selling yourself. There are also commons scenarios, where one candidate is clearly the stronger one, in which you want a separate cover letter.

You dont double the length of the cover letter in a join letter, you cover each of you as candidates in less space.
Physicsisfun

Post by Physicsisfun »

What do people think is the ideal length of a cover letter?
500 words? two sheets A4?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Physicsisfun

No more than a page (A4 or Letter) in a readable typeface and print size. Ideally the cover letter should be headed with identifying and contact information. 3/4 or 4/5 is an ideal length for the body and no less than 1/2 a page with four parts. The listing of the vacancy, your availability, the reference number, and any other key information required from the posting in the 1st part. The second part allowing for deeper professional strengths that target the specific vacancy, the third part addressing more personal characteristics and interests that flesh out who you are as an individual. Lastly, the fourth part in closing. Whatever the length I would put 60% of it into professional depth 10% into the opening, 5% in the closing. and 25% in the personal details. Do not use a generic title in the salutation.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

we've always kept ours to maximum one page. i can't imagine anyone reading a two page cover letter.

v.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

I wouldnt spend too much time on your cover letter. They generally arent read until before the interview, and usually its so the recruiter can formulate an opening question or establish rapport. They maybe spend 10-20 seconds skimming it. Every cover letter is basically the same, Im a great person and Im an awesome IT. The corollary to that is most ITs are very indistinguishable from one another, there isnt really much in background or experience that differentiates them from one another, as a result very minor, even trivial differences often mean the difference between the IT that gets the appointment and the ones that dont. Recruiters arent really looking for the greatest IT, they already know you can teach and so can every IT that came before you and will come after you, what they are looking for is "fit" that IT for whatever reason is going to harmonize with the students, the parents, the other staff, the curriculum, the ethos, the mission, etc. The story to remember is the IT who of a group of 20 who were interviewed for a very desirable position and location, the IT selected was one of the worst, because there method of teaching (lecture) and rote memorization, who essentially taught from the book, by little more than reading it to them and writing key point on the board, did so the same way the previous IT who had been at the post for 7 years taught the course and thats what the students expected and the parents comfortable with.