Should I go into admin?

chilagringa

Should I go into admin?

Post by chilagringa »

Hello all,

I was wondering if those of your who have experience on both sides could chime in: should I think of going into admin? I'm in my 6th year of teaching, and I have had various teacher leadership roles. I've been encouraged by many people (not just admin) to go into admin. I would like to make more money and I do like pushing myself into bigger and bigger challenges. I don't like the idea of stagnating. However, I think I would miss being in the classroom a lot as I do love teaching. I don't like the idea of becoming one of those admin who have lost touch with the realities of teaching. Those of you that have done both, what do you think the pros and cons are of going into admin? Are you happy you did it?
fine dude

Re: Should I go into admin?

Post by fine dude »

Pros:
- Shaping educational policy
- Wider Impact
- Your kids get better attention from the faculty (the fear factor)
- Better compensation & benefits (solid health insurance, better housing, flying business class etc.)
- Networking opportunities with top edu leaders
- A school-sponsored car with fuel allowance
- An all-paid PhD or summer courses at ivy league grad schools
- Recognition (opportunities to win global awards)
- You can sell more books than the average teacher if you gain some reputation

Cons:
- Long hours
- Fewer holidays
- Pressure, pressure, pressure (from parents, the board, and faculty)
- No direct contact with students on a daily basis
- Sedentary habits (triggers for heart disease, diabetes, and even cancer)
- Loneliness
- Not much time for family
- Lack of sleep
- You're not the real boss
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Honestly? The administrators I respected the most and who valued teachers the most were those who had spent at least 10 years in the classroom. They have been through a few curriculum changes, had to fact a range of issues, been through more significant educational milestones, and generally have a good feel for things.

The flip side, I also have worked under administrators with 10 or more years in the classroom and kept my head down and avoided them like the plague.

Bottom line then: if you want to go into admin - go into admin. If not, then teach a bit more and look at it again. If you do, and it is at the same institution, expect your relationships with staff to change. You are entering a different area in education.

Good luck!

Shad
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

Heh... Most of the admin in my school have less teaching experience than I do, so I wonder what that says about the quality of the institution. I was thinking of transitioning in around the 8-year mark - would something magical happen with those extra two years? But I see your point and it's something to think about.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

fine dude wrote:
> - You can sell more books than the average teacher if you gain some
> reputation

Sell more books????

Apart from this, I'd say some teachers shouldn't go into admin even if they have 20 years of experience, and some are ready after 4 years, as long as you keep your ear to the ground and don't assume you know everything. Keep consulting staff, ask how they are doing and how they feel about things. Try and do both, plenty of admin still teach a class or two - that might a good way to experience how policies from admin work out in the classroom.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

@Heliotrope
I meant in the long term, if you gain some reputation shaping good policy and implementing best practices, you have a better chance of selling more books on educational leadership than a typical teacher. You don't have to teach everyday to be a good administrator. You need to be a good listener, empathize with people, have a solid marketing plan, and get good PD from time to time.
mamava

Post by mamava »

Too often, teachers seem to move up/toward administration as a type of promotion, or a move up the ladder--but the skill sets in being a good teacher and a good administrator are really different. Lots of admin say they don't want to lose contact with the classroom and kids, but in truth, as an admin the students and the classroom are much less your focus. Your bigger responsibility is to the teachers, the administration above you, and, often, parents. Where your vision, time, and energy are spent are geared to the functioning of the division and executing the plan of the board/head of school and teacher management. I think so many teachers move on to admin for the $$ or because they were told they would be good at it, without considering whether that shift in priorities and focus would be a good fit. I know it wasn't for my husband---it took him 10 years to move back into the classroom and he still gets told he should be in admin., but he knows what brings him the most satisfaction and where he's most effective.

I've worked in some schools where principals could keep some contact with advisor/mentoring groups, or assistant coaching, but honestly, the meeting schedules make it really hard to be available.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I would strongly emphasis with @mamava, they really are very different skill sets. Its like equating being an aerospace engineer with being an astronaut, in that while similar, one doesnt provide competence in the other. Along that theme, 10 years as a classroom IT/DT has little too do with being successful in leadership, and you really dont need ITs respect, to be successful at it, whatever your told you "need", there will always be a subset of ITs that will think you are under/unqualified/incompetent.

As to your questions, the issue is what are your priorities? If you want to be in the classroom, while there are leadership that have do teach a class here and there for authenticity, your tasking is really management and business orientated, you represent ownership (and your really not an advocate for ITs, ITs are tools that execute the mission/vision/strategies). If you would be happier doing management and business tasks ina n office that involves more time with a computer and spreadsheet and documents than leadership may align well with those goals. If you want to work with students, you need to be in the classroom, thats where the student interaction happens.
If coin is the priority, than absolutely leadership is the approach for you.

Too often leadership is seen as an escape from the classroom (you can go to the toilet when you want to) but your just exchanging one set of tasks and stresses for another, until like a super star IT you get really good at it, and have the efficiencies in place to reduce your workload. If your a truly accomplished leader, you have lots of time for cat videos and spinning in your chair while looking busy with meetings (meetings are just communication routes that save you from typing, as you get to dictate instructions verbally).
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

"You really don't need ITs respect?" Well, you do if you want staff to hang around! I know you're fine with your staff waltzing off every two years and shipping in a new load of fresh off the boat faces, but good schools usually have administrators who their staff respects...or the administrator is gone...or the staff is gone every two years...
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@SJ

No you dont, youre polarizing respect by aggregating an absence of respect and disrespect. ITs dont really care about being respected, many from my POV would be happy being left alone, getting their budget purchases done on time and getting their salary and comp in full and on time. They dont really care what leadership thinks or feels about them. What you describe is being openly disrespected.