CV - school listings on CV

vandsmith

CV - school listings on CV

Post by vandsmith »

just updating my CV - and i have a question:

when listing your schools, what format do you put underneath them? i have been putting something like the following:

school (curricula used)
time period
- bullets about accomplishments/duties

my question is: do you use the same sort of thing? i'm finding it's getting very repetitive with the bullet points...does anyone do a narrative there? or is that too long? what kind of stuff should i include that isn't so damn repetitive?

thanks in advance!

v.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

It sounds like your highlighting otherwise ordinary, mundane, and trivial tasks/duties/achievements in your bullet points. They shouldnt be repetitive and you shouldnt be bullet pointing typical tasks that are part of the standard IT/DT job description, such as grading/marking, designing lesson plans, classroom management, etc. You should have one bullet point for each contract cycle, maybe one for each year of teaching at an IS. If your doing special tasks like ASPs, or events on a consistent cycle move them from the professional experience to a special activities/special skills section.

Recruiters and leadership will give your resume 20-30 seconds, they want to know what your teaching, where, and for how long that should be the first line. Most ITs dont have the time or resources to do much more beyond the job description and an ASP, what professional time and resources for one activity throughout the year and do it well.

Save the narrative for the cover letter, and other statements, a resume should read like a summary.
sid

Re: CV - school listings on CV

Post by sid »

Seconded, don’t put standard stuff like parent conferences and planning assessments. If you weren’t doing those, we’d be shocked.
Use bullets or a short narrative for special things like leading the assessment policy review, creating and leading a program to support struggling students... anything we’d be pleased and surprised to find out about.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

For the older schools, I'd only highlight major leadership initiatives and formal contributions (curriculum review, accreditation work, workshops etc.). BTW, what regions are you aiming at?
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

fine dude wrote:
> For the older schools, I'd only highlight major leadership initiatives and
> formal contributions (curriculum review, accreditation work, workshops
> etc.). BTW, what regions are you aiming at?

hi fine dude,
we're not hardcore looking right now. my current posting in europe doesn't require firm commitment, so i am a bit more relaxed about it. that said, we're down for nearly anywhere but maybe not western/northern europe again for a while.

@everyone - thanks for the advice, keep it coming if there is any more. after 8 years or so, the old CV needs some refurbishment, pruning, and concise-ish-ness...including only keeping the most relevant PD and workshop stuff.

v.