Returning After 2 Year Break

vincentchase

Returning After 2 Year Break

Post by vincentchase »

After teaching internationally in IB schools for the past 20 years, I would like to return home to help my daughter get set up for university. The plan is live back home for 2 years and take a break from teaching.

After this time, I'd like to again return to international teaching. My question, particularly for those like Sid in leadership positions, is would you consider hiring someone in my position? That is, highly qualified, experienced and with good references, but aged in late 40's and coming off a 2 year break.
secondplace

Re: Returning After 2 Year Break

Post by secondplace »

We would have no problem with a two year break on you CV for the reason you described. Often a period like this can give space for reflection and a different perspective on things.
sid

Re: Returning After 2 Year Break

Post by sid »

Shouldn’t be an issue. Just explain it nicely as you’ve done already, perhaps with some extra bits about how you’re keeping current and reading research etc to keep your head in the game.
Your current school might be a great place to start. Maybe they can’t guarantee an actual two year leave, but would they be interested in getting you back after two years, if there’s an opening? They’d get a known quantity and save a ton of money and hassle by not having to recruit. For that matter, so would you.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The rule is you can do anything for a year without negatively impacting your marketability. Beyond that you have to spin a narrative that shows growth and development and demonstrates that your craft is still current.

I would generally agree with @Sid, your current IS is a great place to start, but understand that two years can ruin the best of intentions of an IS and leadership to reemploy you after the sabbatical.