FaceTime/Skype in UAE

twoteachers

FaceTime/Skype in UAE

Post by twoteachers »

Has anyone recently had success using these? If so...how? If not, what are you using? Trying to video chat with my parents has become impossible.
adminpaul

Re: FaceTime/Skype in UAE

Post by adminpaul »

Here is a link to an article on our Discussion Boards that is about using Skype to interview for International teaching positions. This may be of some help to you.

Skype Your Way to an International Teaching Position
https://internationalschoolsreviewdiscu ... -position/
twoteachers

Post by twoteachers »

Sorry....the above blog doesn't even come close to helping. Anyone in the UAE using other options to speak to relatives at home?
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

when i was working there, we used it with vpn.

v.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Concur with @vandsmith, a VPN will likely fix the issue. I write likely, because it could always be something else like poor/bad wiring, etc. Its difficult to diagnose technical issues when the only information is "help, something isnt working".
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

A VPN will fix it, but as I understand it the UAE blocked them because they were free calls and Etisalat were missing out on revenue....
PsyGuy

Inquiry

Post by PsyGuy »

@expatscot

My understanding was that the UAE wasnt going to chase every new messaging app that allowed video or voice chat?
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

@psyguy - maybe that's changed, but when I looked at going there previously the people I spoke to were clear that they wouldn't work. Not sure if the same would be said for something like WeChat, or even Facebook Messenger calls.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@expatscot

I know CISCOs webex meeting software which allows voice and video digital meeting and would work with 1on1, works, but its proprietary and has subscription fees to use it works. VPNs work, but from my previous experience some apps like LINE and VIBER and WECHAT worked, but that might have changed.
twoteachers

Post by twoteachers »

Its not technical....my wifi is golden. The UAE has banned Skype and Facetime.....I'll try a VPN