How much easier to get hired as local hire at decent school?

Heliotrope

How much easier to get hired as local hire at decent school?

Post by Heliotrope »

Asking for a friend.

He'll soon receive QTS, but has no experience at an international school. He's planning to go to Singapore to be with his girlfriend, who already teaches there.

Since he just wants to get the 2 year experience under his belt, is it smarter to go to Singapore first, and then try to get hired as a local hire?
Will a decent school be more likely to hire him, since it will be cheaper than a overseas hire? (all other things being equal)

He would rather work for a decent school without benefits, than for a crappy school with benefits.

Or don't schools think this way when hiring?
Or will the only schools that think this way be the crappy schools anyway?
chiliverde

Re: How much easier to get hired as local hire at decent sch

Post by chiliverde »

In my opinion he should start researching and reaching out to schools ASAP. Mention to them that he is coming over, and see what kind of response he gets. Then, if nothing pans out he can lower his standards or change tack once he is over there.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

I forgot to mention it's for the 2019/2020 academic year, so no rush.
Artrageous

Post by Artrageous »

I think if he has time to apply from outside Singapore he should go for overseas hire positions first. It is very expensive and an overseas hire package is helpful. I agree that if he has no luck then turn up and apply for local positions, perhaps do some sub work at a school in the hope that this will lead to him being hired locally. In Singapore teachers are only allowed to sub at one school unless they are a permanent resident of Singapore.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

If experience and location is the first and only real priority (and coin doesnt matter) go as an LH. He will be a stronger candidate if he can dress the part and have a F2F as most of the ISs that would be interested in his resume are going to be lower third tier ISs that arent going to be very indistinguishable from teaching ESOL. These ISs would prefer to do the meet and greet. Many of those ISs dont provide OSH packages anyway they are essentially LH contracts. The ISs that would offer an OSH arent going to be interested, and the ones that arent interested dont have a meaningful difference in regards to package between OSH and LH

It wont really matter to a decent upper tier IS, hes an OSH regardless of where he is as hes going to need an IS sponsor to get a work permit. Upper tier ISs will follow what the policy is, even if it costs them more coin.
migratingbird

Post by migratingbird »

Has your friend thought about visa issues? If he plans on getting a local hire contract, is he planning to go out on a tourist visa and then look for work? He can't get a dependents pass as he is not married, therefore the only other long term option is LTVP, which you are not allowed to work on. Then for a school to give him his own employment pass, he needs to be making over a minimum amount (can't remember how much), which makes getting hired on a local package potentially problematic, especially given his lack of experience. Best options are to apply for the new, budget international schools that are cropping up...or get married.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

They are getting married in the Fall, so that works out I guess.
If you're in Singapore on a spousal visa, you're allowed to work? (even if you don't make the amount required for the other visa?)
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

With a spouse visa he can work at anything (that isnt restricted to Citizens only) at any salary or ages. He could even put together a number of substitute/relief/supply or PT teaching contracts without restrictions.
migratingbird

Post by migratingbird »

Not completely accurate, Psyguy. He can apply for anything, but companies have to stick to strict ratios to ensure locals have equal chances of employment. If he secures a job, the company applies for a Letter of Consent for him to work. This can take up to 6 weeks to process and he may not work until this is formalised.

Supply teaching is strictly limited to one school, as the school must apply for the Letter of Consent for him to work for them. You are only allowed one letter of consent, so may only work for one school at a time. Supply rates vary greatly between schools.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@migratingbird

We disagree. The Letter of consent is for those dependents whose spouse in this case holds an employment pass. There is no need for the letter of consent when the spouse is a Singapore citizen. Citizens dont require and dont need permits or work visas.

There is no limit to supply/relief/substitute teaching in this scenario.
migratingbird

Post by migratingbird »

Fair point. I had assumed his girlfriend was not Singaporean, but was working there on an EP.
migratingbird

Post by migratingbird »

Actually, I just checked and even those marrying Singaporean residents need to apply for a Letter of Consent. SO the same rules I stated above still apply. Unless they become resident themselves, which is still a process they need to apply for. The information can be verified here - http://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permit ... ued-by-ica
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@migratingbird

We disagree, spouses of citizens and those PR are themselves eligible for PR. Saying its a "still a process" is not a meaningful differentiation compared to the process of applying for a LTVP or a LOC. Everything in SG is a process. I just checked the application for entry permit (permenant residence) is 4-6 months and is available to those married too a permenant resident or citizen. You apply though e-PR. This makes the issue of an LOC moot.

https://www.ica.gov.sg/apply/PR/apply_PR_who

https://www.ica.gov.sg/cms/files/forms/ ... %20List%20(for%20spouse%20with%20or%20without%20accompanying%20child(ren)).pdf
migratingbird

Post by migratingbird »

I didn't come here to argue, just share information. What I stated was correct. Once the guy becomes PR himself, then yes it is moot. But if they are looking for immediate employment, it is very relevant. If he is PR, then the original question of whether or not he applies for overseas or local hire itself becomes moot, as he will only be eligible for local.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@migratingbird

Than we still disagree and youre still not correct. For immediate employment the LW will need a EP to work in an IS/DS or an S pass to work for a agency or for an IS/DS as a sub/relief/supply IT/DT since the LW wont be married "immediately".

AND before you start arguing about how long or short the meaning of "immediate" is, go back and read the LWs posts:

1) The LWs friend and girlfriend will be getting married in the FALL, thats a few months away.
2) The LWs friend specifically stated this job search was for the 2019/2020 AY which is more than a YEAR way.

That year allows PLENTY of time to apply for, process and receive PR, and thus making your issue of an LOC both immaterial and irrelevant.
What I stated was correct, having PR the LWs friend wont need anything or be limited by anything (thats not a restricted profession). Unless your position is that the LWs friend never applies for PR and just maintains their LTV, which is possible and has some valid reasons why, but barring that we just disagree because your response is wrong for the given scenario and conditions.