How much easier to get hired as local hire at decent school?

migratingbird

Re: How much easier to get hired as local hire at decent sch

Post by migratingbird »

As I stated before, I was not assuming that his wife-to-be was SIngaporean.

If his wife-to-be is already on an EP, with an expat package, I can't think of any school that would offer him an expat package, he would be a local hire. If his wife-to-be is Singaporean and he will have PR, I very much doubt that any school would give him an expat package, so again he would be looking at local hire.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@migratingbird

What does LH or OSH have anything to do with your erroneous claim for this scenario of:

"Not completely accurate, Psyguy. He can apply for anything, but companies have to stick to strict ratios to ensure locals have equal chances of employment. If he secures a job, the company applies for a Letter of Consent for him to work. This can take up to 6 weeks to process and he may not work until this is formalized.
Supply teaching is strictly limited to one school, as the school must apply for the Letter of Consent for him to work for them. You are only allowed one letter of consent, so may only work for one school at a time. Supply rates vary greatly between schools."

You claimed I was wrong, I claimed Im right and provided the data to support it, and then you changed the subject to LH and OSH. BUT okay fine Ill go there to...

I can think of several first and elite tier ISs that would give the LW an OSH since it would be the most reasonable for the LW to begin recruiting with the start of the upcoming cycle which would be this fall, and may even be before the LW is married, and thus have no spouse thats an issue for the IS or the recruiter, and even if they are married, the LW is still being recruited outside of SG and the 1st and elite tier ISs will follow the policy as it is. Thus the LW will not be knocking on doors in SG but will be participating in recruiting and have a contract (hopefully) well before even relocating to SG. How is that an LH?

WHICH my recommendation (previously posted) was to approach the ISs/DSs in SG as an LH anyway. Since the LW will be a NQT with no calculated experience for IE, and being able to have a F2F, be resident and immediately available and with PR the LW can at least put together some FTE sub/relief/supply work or multiple PT contracts since the LW will have PLENTY of time to obtain PR and thus no effective restrictions in regard to DE/IE. Which yes would be LH, but as I (again previously posted) the third tier ISs that are going to be interested dont have practical OSH contracts anyway, the LW isnt likely to get a housing, relocation or travel allowance from a third tier IS anyway, even being recruited as an OSH and outside of SG.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

Thanks for all the info!

She's NOT a Singaporean btw, but an overseas hire at an international school.

And since supply work won't count towards the 'two year experience' that decent schools require, I don't think supply work is what he's going to be looking for.

A follow-up question:

If he will be a local hire at a different international school than her, will she still be able to add him to her contract as a dependent (and get flights, higher housing allowance, and international healthcare)?
migratingbird

Post by migratingbird »

My school would. Most decent international schools here would.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

It depends what their plans are and f they intend to stay in SG. Sub/supply/relief teaching generally doesnt count in IE for effect, but thats because you cant generally transfer the experience from DE too IE. If you could get some sub/supply/relief experience at an IS that you would intend or want to work at on a FTE contract, then the opportunity to work with their leadership and them be able to see you in action in a classroom can be a very strong opportunity into getting an appointment.

The ISs that would offer those packages likely would, especially being an LH without those benefits. Its when its double benefits that lower and mid tier ISs would start putting up resistance to what they may perceive as double benefits. Upper tier ISs wont care they will follow the policy.
Artrageous

Post by Artrageous »

Just wanted to add that even top tier schools in Singapore are now really tightening their belts and if his partner is on an overseas package it is likely he would only get a local contract and his benefits etc would be included in her package as a spouse.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

I dont agree with @Artrageous in the LWs example. Elite tier ISs are going to follow the policy and given the recruiting time frame and assuming that the LW and spouse are at different ISs the IS is going to follow the policy and provide whatever OSh benefits they have. I can @Artrageous claims being valid if the ITs are at the same IS.
Artrageous

Post by Artrageous »

I would like to state that in my own personal experience in Singapore that top tier elite schools ARE tightening their belts as to what they offer people. I know that some schools may not mind if one half of a couple is ex-pat hire at their school and their partner is also ex-pat hire at another school/or same school but this is not the usual scenario- in my experience. Singapore seems to be a place where it is more usual for one half of a couple to be ex-pat hire and one is local. This is not always the case but is most common. As I stated earlier it is best to apply for jobs from outside Singapore prior to coming here and then it may not be an issue.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Artrageous

We disagree. Theres one elite tier IS and a couple first tier ISs and the elite tier IS wouldnt blink about that set up and the 1st tier ISs I cant see putting up a fuss either, in my experience.

We have different recommendations, while the LW has the time to pursue a job search as an OSH, with all the white space on their resume they are going to make a better impression and have more option going local.