Thailand and health check

chiliverde

Thailand and health check

Post by chiliverde »

Hi all,

I am starting a new job in Thailand soon and have a question for anyone who has been through the health check. Since I have been a child, I have dealt with an anxiety disorder that is now completely managed with a low level SSRI. I am under the supervision of a doctor and haven't had any issues in over a decade.

Since I am never sure how mental health issues are seen abroad, I would love for this not to come up or have to explain it during the medical check. Does anyone who has been through this have any advice?

Thanks.
McQwaid

Re: Thailand and health check

Post by McQwaid »

Hi. I lived and worked in Thailand for 5 years. Each year myself and my friends and colleagues had to do the required health check. Many also take ssri medication. Do not worry, it doesn't come up. At least it hasn't in my experiences ever. Keep in mind that this ssri medication is extremely popular. You are not a rarity by any means. I hope that helps.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Make sure you have a plan for getting your medication and dont bring it up and its unlikely anyone will ask or care. They are looking for drug abusers and those with STDs.
chiliverde

Post by chiliverde »

Thank you both for weighing in. I was particularly curious if during the health check they ask if you are on any medication.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@chiliverde

I remember them asking but they only wrote down medications that were abusable or indicated treatment for conditions like HIV, etc. It was so infrequent that technicians would have to go back to the clipboard if anyone actually told them anything usable. The vast majority knew what they were looking for and 'no' was an almost universal response.
chiliverde

Post by chiliverde »

Thanks, Psy.

In your opinion, if asked, would it be better to answer honestly or omit?

Thanks
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

It has been a while, but the last time I had to get a Thai health check it consisted of the doctor checking if I had a pulse, and then signing the form and paying 50 baht. Unless things have really changed, no need to worry about it.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@chiliverde

An SSRI, thats not a controlled or abusable medication and not used to treat an STI, I cant see the harm in disclosing it.

I would add though, that as @buffalofan stated, the health check isnt a big deal or an extended and exhaustive process like it is in some countries. My health check the first time I was in LOS was pulse, O2, blood pressure, looking in my throat, nose and ears, reflex check on the knee and a vial of blood being drawn. It took 10 minutes and half that was the blood draw.
Helen Back

Post by Helen Back »

The health check in my part of Thailand includes checking for alcoholism and elephantitus.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

::giggle::
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

You can get prescriptions filled at Bumrungrad Hospital with a prescription. So if you come with a prescription from your doctor in your home country and you are there in person, it is not an issue. But you WILL need a prescription.
Helen Back

Post by Helen Back »

You don't need a prescription for SSRIs. They are readily available in pretty much all pharmacies. Drugs that need a prescription are generally those that have the possibility of addiction issues.