Norway pre-existing medical conditions, subsidized machines?

TeacherGal

Norway pre-existing medical conditions, subsidized machines?

Post by TeacherGal »

I'm curious, in Norway:

1. Are all new residents' pre-existing medical conditions covered such as diabetees, vitiligo, hearing loss?
2. Are machines necessary for the above conditions either subsidized by the state or supplied by the state? Machines such as insulin pumps, UVB machines, hearing aids?

I'm wondering if I should sell or give away my medical machines to avoid having to ship, deal with differences in electricity, etc. There have also been some technological advances and I'd like to try new models. But I won't have the money just yet to buy new ones if/when I move to Norway.

Does anyone know?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Norway doesnt have a "pre-existing condition" exclusion, either you are eligible for national care or you arent, and if youre eligible your medical conditions regardless of when they occurred or began will be treated under the cost structure.
Vitiligo is a specialized condition that likely would not be treatable under the national health scheme, you could get treatment but procedures like photo therapy treatment would not be covered where as steroid creams likely would be.
Medical devices like an insulin pump you would pay for yourself, and would not be covered (though the insulin would be covered) the devices are subsidized however, and the cost wouldnt be unbearable. The same goes for hearing aids, however given the diversity of devices with various conveniences these wouldnt really be subsidized and you would find the costs comparable to retail prices in any western region.

I cant imagine a hearing aid takes up much if any room at all, assuming you arent wearing it, and batteries are readily available. The Insulin pump is a different story in terms of compatibility with insulin availability. The other issue is that the battery packs for some proprietary models are much more difficult to find should replacements be needed. Though you may very well be in a position to replace them relatively early, it will take some time for you to identify and register with a GP and then have a consultation and then get the device which you will have to absorb the cost of yourself. I cant imagine not bringing them with you.