Identifying Good Teachers Bad Teachers

Doctor

Identifying Good Teachers Bad Teachers

Post by Doctor »

I would like to get some feedback from other IS teachers about a question the new head of school has asked.
I'm working at a school in Asia, which has been going through some turmoil over the last 2 years. We have gone through 3 heads and a new head has been appointed for next year. Also we are loosing students and the projection is that only 75% of our current student body will be returning next year.

The new head for next year paid a visit to the school and met with foreign staff and asked 2 questions:

1. What is good about the school and what is bad about the school?
2. Name 3 teachers whom have had a positive effect on the school and name 3 teachers who have not lived up to expectations.

I'd like feedback on the second part of the second question.

I should add, other than that question, everything about the new head is fine: experienced, articulate, professional but the "name 3 bad teachers" type question is really worrying me especially since this is a country that takes all contracts with a grain of salt. It honestly seems inappropriate and the beginnings of a witch hunt.

Thanks for any input.
mickeymoo

Re: Identifying Good Teachers Bad Teachers

Post by mickeymoo »

It is a lose - lose situation. Identify the three teachers, you are playing into this game and violating your integrity. Don't play, you will immediately, be on the negative side of the HOS. He/She is not really doing it to identify the bad teachers, but more likely to see who he'she can rely upon. Get your CV out. You are a lot better than the games that this new HOS is playing.

This is so unprofessional. A real leader would observe before making any harsh judgements that could have a huge impact on people's careers.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

[quote]Don't play, you will immediately, be on the negative side of the HOS. He/She is not really doing it to identify the bad teachers, but more likely to see who he'she can rely upon.[/quote]

Damn! I already played! I identified 3 good teachers and tried to beg off identifying 3 bad teachers but the person was insistent and not wanting to get on the wrong side of the new HOS, I complied.

Thanks for the feedback.
Lastname_Z

Post by Lastname_Z »

I don't know if this immediately needs to be seen as a bad thing. Bad teachers should be called out and reprimanded. I feel like at my school it doesn't happen enough and the consequence is that bad teachers can keep on being bad teachers as long as they're admin cheerleaders.
shadylane

Post by shadylane »

Lastname_Z wrote:
> I feel like at my school it doesn't happen enough and the consequence is that bad
> teachers can keep on being bad teachers

The issue I have with that, is how many of us are actually in a position or qualified to pass judgement on other teachers purely professionally? All you're likely to get for the most part is who likes who, and who has a similar philosophy to who.

The question is divisive.
Psychometrika

Post by Psychometrika »

shadylane wrote:
> Lastname_Z wrote:
> > I feel like at my school it doesn't happen enough and the consequence is that
> bad
> > teachers can keep on being bad teachers
>
> The issue I have with that, is how many of us are actually in a position or qualified
> to pass judgement on other teachers purely professionally? All you're likely to get
> for the most part is who likes who, and who has a similar philosophy to who.
>
> The question is divisive.

Incredibly devisive. I can just see cliques of teachers colluding on this to support each other and throw others underneath the bus. Evaluation by popularity contest is not a great way to kick things off. If I was the OP I would work on updating my Search profile over the summer for sure.
mickeymoo

Post by mickeymoo »

Yes, of course bad teachers need to be called out. But which is more constructive, a heart to heart private meeting where the specific issue of teaching is addressed, plans being devised, and if expectations are not met, non renewal or dismissal; or a public announcement of who is a bad teacher, where the reality will be, the commencement of a witch hunt, entrenchment of cliques and the beginnings of a hyper political environment.

These types of HOS are the reasons why a lot of international schools are toxic.

Saying that, the HOS could have been instructed by the board to do this, but any HOS with any sense of integrity would resign upon hearing this demand.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

mickeymoo wrote:
> Yes, of course bad teachers need to be called out. But which is more
> constructive, a heart to heart private meeting where the specific issue of
> teaching is addressed, plans being devised, and if expectations are not
> met, non renewal or dismissal; or a public announcement of who is a bad
> teacher, where the reality will be, the commencement of a witch hunt,
> entrenchment of cliques and the beginnings of a hyper political
> environment.
>
> These types of HOS are the reasons why a lot of international schools are
> toxic.
>
> Saying that, the HOS could have been instructed by the board to do this,
> but any HOS with any sense of integrity would resign upon hearing this
> demand.

Actually a "bad teacher" was literally publically called out in April - I mean literally named and shamed - and since then, there has been an atmosphere of suspicion and paranoia. This was under the old HOS regime so I was disappointed that the incoming HOS regime is doing much the same thing but at least its not public naming and shaming. The school is part of a chain and is run by an investment corporation, which has a few of its people on every campus. I'm certain the HOS was just doing what he was told.

On the other had, there has never been a complaint against the school for breaking a contract, they pay on time and I received all reimbursements within a month of my arrival. Even the teacher called out as a "bad teacher" was supported and is being allowed to finish his contract.

The enrollment though is declining fast and I don't even think that they are breaking even at this point so teachers are wondering how long they can continue to honor all contracts.
TeacherGal

Post by TeacherGal »

This is terrible and would be a glowing red flag for me.

Is sounds like the new school head has read the playbook for the GESTAPO. I hope you call him/her out on this by posting a school review and/or head of school review. That's disgusting behaviour.

I agree bad teachers should be called out. The problem is that some bad teachers, instead of putting their energies into being a good teacher to save themselves, put their energies into backstabbing, lying, setting up teachers, and self-promoting bullshit. Some of them have a lot of energy, are quite clever and quite successful at their game. I can see some of them licking their lips and seeing this tactic of the head of school as a great opportunity for them. I'd get the hell out of that place for sure.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its none of the previous contributors positions. The HOS is "quarter-mastering". Its a pretty classic case, your stepping into someones poo, ownership is going to have a very short leash, and want results quickly. Your visiting, you dont have a lot of time, or access, and no authority to start doing anything. What do you do? You identify informers and resources. Those ITs with a positive effect are your resource to draw upon for improving the classroom, your not going to get a budget for a bunch of PD or have the time to do a lot of asst of ITs and identify weaknesses, you just identify to ITs what you want classes to look like and have them model those "positive" ITs classrooms. Its fast, easy, efficient, and something the HOS can point too with ownership and use it to get some coin and relax the strings. The information about what ITs are negative, isnt all that useful, if theres some strong agreement on that its something to look into and possibly useful as a sacrificial scapegoat, but what it really does is identify informers who will provide you information even if its distasteful. Its recruiting spys and informants. The good and bad about the IS is little more than a conversation starter that gives the HOS something to talk about with the leadership team to figure out what they can do/know and what they cant do/dont know.