getting certification with American Board

gzmike

getting certification with American Board

Post by gzmike »

Does anyone know about getting certification with American Board, which is an alternative teacher certification program? According to their website you just need a BA/BS in any subject, pay them $1900 for the online "course" which consists of just study materials for the two tests you have to take at a Pearson center (Professional Teaching Knowledge and a subject test). It says you can get certified in one of 13 states. Some of those states start you off with a provisional license and you have to teach in that state and complete some PD to get a "normal" license but it is not clear if some of the other 13 states on the list have better options for someone like me that doesn't want to actually teach or live in the US again. Overall this sounds much easier, and cheaper than readyteach or teachnow, so I am surprised I haven't found anything about this program on this forum.

I have an MS in math and taught in the US (college level) for 9 years and then in international schools in China for another 9 years (and now a department head at my current tier 3 school in Shanghai). I know I need certification if I want to work in a better school, but I will probably only work another 10 years until I retire so I don't want to spend too much time or money as my current job is not too bad (I just know I could make more money and get better benefits at a tier 1 or 2 school).
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Sure you could do that or you could just save the USD$1900 and take a single PRAXIS exam and apply directly to Utah (UT) for a level 1 APT credential (3 years renewable). You could take 2 exams and youd have more trouble scheduling them but you could obtain the Massachusetts (MA) provisional credential which would effectively be a lifetime credential (assuming you never worked in MA). Either way you would save yourself some coin and not have to study or take a meds/peds/asst exam (such as the PRAXIS PLT exam).
gzmike

Re: getting certification with American Board

Post by gzmike »

Thanks PsyGuy, that was very helpful. I have seen many of your posts on this forum and you obviously know what you are talking about. But when I search online about how to get certified for Utah, I don't see the option you mentioned. I did see on https://www.teachercertificationdegrees ... ation/utah that "A Level 1 license is the initial certificate that teachers receive after completing a bachelor’s degree and passing the Praxis Subject Assessments. Teacher candidates must be recommended for licensure by an accredited institution before a Level 1 certificate can be issued. Those who complete an alternative route to teaching certification or who are eligible for reciprocity from another state will also be granted a Level 1 license."

So it sounds like the three ways to get certified are 1.) completing a teacher training degree, 2.) complete an "alternative route to teaching certification", or 3.) transfer licence from another state. I know I don't meet the criteria for option 1 or 3, so I searched more about option 2 and that is how I came across the American Board.

Again, I appreciate your reply and I sincerely believe you are one of the most knowledgeable and helpful members on this forum, but can you please give me a link to an official source or something that I can look at that explains the option you mentioned? I already wasted time and money applying for a CT license since I was led to believe (not by you) that I would be qualified with my masters in math plus proof of my last couple teaching jobs, and all I got was requests for more and more documents and finally a big NO when I finally spoke to a supervisor.
gzmike

Post by gzmike »

I should clarify that I mean a link for the information for both the UT and MA certifications, thanks!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@gzmike

You can find the pathway portal for UT here:
https://www.schools.utah.gov/curr/licensing/earning

Just click on the first link "Academic Pathway to Teaching (APT), its pretty self explanatory, schedule the test and request the transcript sooner rather than later. PRAXIS scores take about 5-10 days to post after you have taken the exam, there are no centers in in SHA, but there is in PEK and HK which would likely be the cheapest and easiest to fly into. This is that time of year were Unis are processing a LOT of transcripts, so that could take a while (or not), though you can get a transcript for the Clearing house faster. Probably the longest is the CRB as there are no live scan places in SHA, they will mail you by regular post the fingerprint cards, then you will have to arrange to get them done (not too hard, takes a day but likely a week day) then you mail them back and then you wait (it could take the rest of the summer). Once its all done you mail everything to UT and the processing takes about a week.

For MA, you can find the Provisional credential requirements here:
http://www.doe.mass.edu/licensure/acade ... types.html

and the specific licensing tool for maths here:
https://gateway.edu.state.ma.us/elar/li ... .back=back

You will need to take two exams ,the maths subject exam and the communication and literacy exam, though there are two test centers in SHA, you may or may not be able to take them in SHA, you can in HK. You will also need transcripts but if you have current official transcripts you can upload them to your application without requesting additional transcripts be sent. The advantage of the MA process is you do not need to submit fingerprints for a CRB, you will just submit an affidavit (online).

The website you mentioned, isnt really there to help you, they exist to sell you a credentialing program or degree.

CT is the option for ITs who have an academic background in education and classroom experience but didnt specifically complete an EPP/ITT program. An IT who completed a PGCEi from Nottingham all by distance and then teaches for a couple years in an accredited IS can apply for a CT credential through the experiential pathway. An IT who got a generic Masters but didnt do an EPP/ITT program as part of it and then went to teach a private/independent DS/IS for a couple years, those are candidates for CTs experiential pathway.

There is no pathway to a state credential that consists of a non education degree and verification of experience. Programs like UT and MA and MOs doctoral route all require in addition and at a minimum some type of exam to be completed. The closest certificate you could get without would be ACSI (Association of Christian Schools International), you could get a 2 year Temporary certificate with a degree and your transcripts in maths. No experience or education coursework or EPP/ITT program required.
gzmike

Post by gzmike »

Thanks again PsyGuy, that was EXTREMELY helpful!!