Should I be worried about this job offer?

mexilex

Should I be worried about this job offer?

Post by mexilex »

Hi all,

This is my second time around applying to schools in Mexico and I need some advice.

I got a job offer email from a school about a week ago and all that was included was the salary after tax and that they offered a rent stipend, nothing else. I responded accepting the offer because I like the school and would really love to work there, but in my response I asked for more details about what grade I would be teaching, what my responsibilities would be, what benefits are included, what my daily schedule is like (not even that was included!) and all the other things one needs to know.

I still haven't heard a response from them. There's been no follow up "welcome to the school" email, nothing like that. I also haven't gotten a proper offer letter or contract to sign, scan and send back with my signature. This is making me feel really insecure about the job offer and making me think that perhaps their administration will not be so great to work with.

Am I overthinking? Should I give them more time?

Any advice would be very helpful.
expatscot

Re: Should I be worried about this job offer?

Post by expatscot »

With the contract, sometimes schools wait until all their offers are accepted before sending out the contract, or there's some other issue, so in that respect it's not unusual. I'm surprised at the lack of contact though, even just to acknowledge your email.

I would go back to them checking that they got the email, and then asking the questions again. If you're dealing with HR, copy in the headteacher or the person who interviewed you and, if you can, set a read receipt on the email. Give them another week and, if you still don't hear anything, then it might be time to think about moving on from this one.
mexilex

Post by mexilex »

Thanks, expatscot! I am not actually dealing with HR. A teacher at the school interviewed me and the head of school offered me the job by email. I haven't heard anything from HR, so perhaps you're right about them waiting till all their offers are accepted before sending out a contract. I hope so. I'm trying not to be impatient but when planning for relocation it's really hard to make plans based on something I haven't signed, and I feel like I'm running out of time.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

This is also the end of the school year - check the school's calendar. Is it the last week of school? Things might be a little crazy.

Also, a week isn't that long in Latin American time. Also, if you got offered a job from the head of school, it might take awhile for things to move up through the ranks. (Read again: Latin American time.)

That said, there are schools to run from in Mexico, and schools that are great. It might be worth going to the member's forum to ask questions about which your school is! (Although as a rule of thumb: if it's one of the big name schools it's probably fine.)
mexilex

Post by mexilex »

chilagringa wrote:
> This is also the end of the school year - check the school's calendar. Is
> it the last week of school? Things might be a little crazy.
>
> Also, a week isn't that long in Latin American time. Also, if you got
> offered a job from the head of school, it might take awhile for things to
> move up through the ranks. (Read again: Latin American time.)
>
> That said, there are schools to run from in Mexico, and schools that are
> great. It might be worth going to the member's forum to ask questions about
> which your school is! (Although as a rule of thumb: if it's one of the big
> name schools it's probably fine.)

I would be in the school's first batch of international teachers. It's a new school. So maybe that even adds to the craziness.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

Ugh... shudder. Then I would be worried.

Why not apply to one of the more established schools? There may be positions still open.
mexilex

Post by mexilex »

I've applied to several. Scores, even. But I have only been contacted for an interview by this school. I was even referred to one of the top schools by someone who had hired me last season (she was the coordinator of her school) but now works at the top school. I had turned down that offer, but she was really excited to see that I was looking so I applied a SECOND time to the top school on her insistence, and still haven't heard back from anyone. Unfortunately she's no longer in a position to hire me.

I know I'm not a super star IT, but I have three years IB experience in an ASF school, three years experience total, a degree in subject area and good references. But nothing. It's been really awful.
chiliverde

Post by chiliverde »

I would be worried, yes. If you do accept, prepare yourself for the worst, and then maybe you will be pleasantly surprised. Just go if you really want to be in Mexico and are desperate at this point.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I strongly concur with the recent posts of the prior contributors,this is the type of appointment that is most likely to end in a train wreck. I would add that if youve been in contact with the HOS and other leadership, not even taking the moment or two to send you a reassuring explanation of the current status given this is June is very alarming.
I can understand your position you want to get to this region no matter what and getting there and living that lifestyle is more important than anything else, as long as the coin and comp fund the lifestyle, the rest doesnt matter.

Im concerned if you were even offered a position. Did the IS from their noob POV send you what they thought was a compensation specification and you interpreted it as a contract offer, and now they are thinking we cant talk to this IT now, because we werent really offering them the position, we were just gauging their level of interest with the comp, and any further communication is either going to reinforce that this is an offer, or is going to be painful in telling the IT they werent offering the position (as of yet).
mexilex

Re: Response

Post by mexilex »

PsyGuy wrote:
> I strongly concur with the recent posts of the prior contributors,this is
> the type of appointment that is most likely to end in a train wreck. I
> would add that if youve been in contact with the HOS and other leadership,
> not even taking the moment or two to send you a reassuring explanation of
> the current status given this is June is very alarming.
> I can understand your position you want to get to this region no matter
> what and getting there and living that lifestyle is more important than
> anything else, as long as the coin and comp fund the lifestyle, the rest
> doesnt matter.
>
> Im concerned if you were even offered a position. Did the IS from their
> noob POV send you what they thought was a compensation specification and
> you interpreted it as a contract offer, and now they are thinking we cant
> talk to this IT now, because we werent really offering them the position,
> we were just gauging their level of interest with the comp, and any further
> communication is either going to reinforce that this is an offer, or is
> going to be painful in telling the IT they werent offering the position (as
> of yet).

I am going to go ahead and assume I am intelligent enough to know when an offer has been given to me. This is not the first time I've been employed by schools or otherwise.

I'm also not eager to go to Mexico and so desperate I'll take anything. I've lived and worked in Mexico for years. I am moving on from my current contract at an IS and seeking employment with another in Mexico because I now consider it my home.

The letter was as follows. If this is anything other than an offer, colour me surprised.

Dear [hidden]

I hope this email finds you well.

[hidden] your recent interview and mentioned great things about you. We are very eager to have you join our team for this coming school year.

I would like to officially offer you the position of [hidden], starting in August 2018.

Our offer is:

Contract for [hidden]
Monthly salary of [hidden] (after taxes)
Accommodation (rent)

I am attaching our school calendar for 2018-2019.

In order to start processing your working visa, we will require the following documents with an Apostille:

[hidden]

[hidden]
chiliverde

Post by chiliverde »

You said in your first post that you liked the school and would really love to work there. What are you basing this off of? Do you have any testimonials from people on the inside, or who used to work there? That could make a difference, I guess.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@mexilex

Not an intelligence issue, recruiters and HOSs can be crafty, but yes that reads as an offer. So youre a lifer in Mexico, its the same restriction by different means.
Again, if your in contact with the HOS and leadership, and they cant take the moment to send you a reassurance that the delay is on HR, and this is a new IS, this would be cause for serious concern.

@chiliverde

The LW stated previously that they are part of the first group of ITs to be hired and that its a new IS.