How do payscales work in Norway?

TeacherGal

How do payscales work in Norway?

Post by TeacherGal »

I've read some school profiles and they offer different pay. But my understanding was the government assesses a teacher's credentials and experience and then identifies you on their set scale. The only different in salary could come from the extra stipends the actual school gives you. But I'm seeing very different salaries. Can anyone shed any light on this? Thank you. :)
Thames Pirate

Re: How do payscales work in Norway?

Post by Thames Pirate »

I don't know, but I would imagine that this is a public school/private school thing.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

They identify your ranking but there isnt a national salary scale, there are a number of local scales that are negotiated between various unions. So your given a ranking but that will equate to different amounts of coin in different regions and local areas in the DE system. They are pretty narrow when all factors are relatively equal, because everyone in Norway can find out what anyone elses coin earnings are. There are a few restrictions such as a lower and upper limit and you cant compensate someone of a lower ranking more than one with a high ranking, but these salary scale are all negotiated at the political level, its not something an individual IT/DT can do.
This doesnt apply in the IE (independent/private) system. Even between local regions Norway as a whole is relatively flat in terms of salary differentials between professions.