Hong Kong

Lastname_Z

Hong Kong

Post by Lastname_Z »

I'm debating considering Hong Kong as a destination to work and live in after my next post. However, I just want to get more information from someone who has actually worked and lived in Hong Kong. I've only been there on vacation.

Here are the current generalizations I have about Hong Kong:

Pros: Professional Development/School quality will be better than most, Amazing City (based on my vacation experience) with excellent food, public transport system and activities for all types.

Cons: Too expensive to live here. I would be living in a shoebox and still not be able to save money (possibly I might lose money?)

The above are just my preconceptions and I'm just looking to be persuaded one way or another.
Glerky

Re: Hong Kong

Post by Glerky »

I lived in HK a long time ago.

I worked at a second (maybe third) tier school on HK Island. It was not the best paying place but it was okay for my first time overseas. Housing was expensive. We did not get an allowance. However, I split these costs with my partner so that helped.

I managed to travel, eat out, drink, put away some money and pay off $20000 in student debt. For the record it was expensive back then as well.

Unless the school you are going to is really under paying you then you will do alright in HK.

My con for living there is that I couldn't handle the crowds. It was okay at first but I got tired quickly of the barrage of people everywhere. This being said I know people who have lived there for 20+ years and love it.

All the best!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Assuming you can get in, I would agree with your assessment. The biggest issue is the cost of living and housing being very expensive. having an option to split housing costs makes it much more affordable, but doing it solo and requiring your own living accommodations will make it very difficult to save anything and you will be living hand too mouth.

Where I disagree with you is that PD and IS quality is just like anywhere, there are bottom third tier ISs in HK as well as anywhere (even Switzerland has a bottom third tier), while a lower tier HK IS is likely to be a better experience than a lower tier mainland PRC IS, neither one is good respective of their locations. Imagine a soul crushing appointment at an IS and then not having the coin to afford much of a life outside of work, that would be brutal.