Rabat

E.B. White

Rabat

Post by E.B. White »

I am writing for information on Rabat - the school, the city - any information would be appreciated, particularly insights that would help a teaching couple with two children. Thanks very much!
GHK

Post by GHK »

I have been in the building and know people who teach and have taught there. The salaries are the best in Morocco and so are the facilities. Many of the kids are quite personable but not many are good students. Lots of spoilt brats and arguing seems like a national sport for some. The city is quite nice and living there is not much of a hardship, nice beaches, great weather, nice golf courses, tennis clubs, fitness facilities, good food, everyone has a maid to look after domestic chores. A full time one would cost about 50 Euros for the week.

There's a serious taxation issue that has come up this year. Previously teachers in those schools didn't have to pay taxes but the government has cracked down and schools are scrambling to come up with the 40% shortfall. Tuition will go up and I'm not sure what will happen to salaries...