Masters in Albania

lilybelle

Masters in Albania

Post by lilybelle »

Hello!

I've just accepted a position at an IS in Albania. If I earn my master's overseas, would it apply in the US? It is still a two year program. Has anyone here earned their master's abroad and had any problems when returning home?

Thanks!
lilybelle

Re: Masters in Albania

Post by lilybelle »

Oh, and the program tuition is only 2,700 euros a year, so I'm pretty motivated to take advantage, obviously! I just want to make sure it won't be a waste of time!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Ever heard of a reputable Albanian university? That has reciprocity with other universities? That's the big question...
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Where are you getting the Masters from? I am not going to assume that the Uni is actually in Albania but if it is than:

1) Is the transcript and degree printed in English? If not then you will spend a considerable amount of time and expense getting certified translations translations and if not you will still have the expense and the time or completing NACES evaluations for use in the US.
2) The first thing they will think is "why?" and then the second thing is "what is wrong with you?" and the third thing is "is this a diploma mill/fake?". All questions you dont want to answer if you dont have to assuming you even get the opportunity to answer them, and your application doesnt just go in the bin.
3) Even if it is accredited and you can successfully demonstrate that, your application will take more work and time to process which might not be worth it to whoever is in HR. Even then a DS in the US or an employer can refuse to recognize it. There are a lot of professionals from EE countries in medicine, law, business, etc. that cant work in their profession or their qualifications arent recognized simply because an employer or regulating agency refuses to accept them.

Setting all that aside, Uni. Portsmouth in the UK has two online/distance masters programs, an M.Rs in Educational studies that can be done FT in 1 yr and a M.Sc in Ed.Ld that is 2 yr PT. Both programs are £4500 regardless of time spent studying which is slightly less than your €2700/yr Uni, assuming you complete the program in two years and dont have any delays. There would be no credibility or utility issues with this degree.

I had to have two foreign degrees assessed in the US. Of them the DODEA process was the most frustrating, but one of the degrees was a doctorate and they were giving me a sizable chunk of coin on the salary band so it wasnt unreasonable. Aside from that I have had far more work involved having my other non-US degree recognized mainly because of translation. The NACES evaluation was a headache the first time, but once done they store it (in its English form) and I just order a copy when I need too (which I really dont need too). Again it was really only an issue with DODEA. I did have a NACES evaluation done of my doctorate but I have yet to need it (aside from DODEA, and found out later they just stuffed the document in a folder and scanned it, there wasnt any deliberation for it, and DODEA reimbursed me). The NACES report copies can add up. What I would recommend is obtaining one yourself using a nondescript business name, scanning it as a pdf and then signing it with an Adobe key, and sending that as part of your application packet, the vast majority of employers will easily accept that (and if you put it in a nice envelope with printed return address and a sticker of some type over the flap, most everyone else will accept a "sealed" document) . You will only really be required to provide an authentic document when applying for certification with a regulating authority or as part of your final dossier if you ever go back to grad school again.
Daisyduck

Post by Daisyduck »

I'm in Albania and from what I've seen, most of the Albanians try to leave Albania for their education--both high school and university--if they can. I don't think that speaks well of the university system here. There are many reputable degree programs online. You can supplement the online classes with in-person classes in the summer. I would recommend those over university in Albania.