Norway questions

TeacherGal

Re: Norway questions

Post by TeacherGal »

We're now teaching in Switzerland but not terribly happy with the school or location. We're wondering if any of our pension contributions might be transportable to another European country. Are there special agreements between various EU countries so they need to be investigated individually? Which ones would be more likely to have an agreement with Switzerland?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@TeacherGal

Not with Switzerland, not if by transportable you mean you can move your vested credits from the Swiss system to another regional EU system directly and vest with that country directly. Switzerland allows pensioners to collect their pension anywhere, but its a reciprocity issue, the Swiss dont have an agreement to accept anyone elses pension, so theres isnt accepted elsewhere. Their position is that everyone elses system is inferior, and would allow other EU members to "buy in" to their "superior" system at a much lower cost.
TeacherGal

Post by TeacherGal »

Once you have reached age of retirement are there countries which make it difficult for you to collect your pension payouts if you live abroad?
Being a citizen of the country where you have worked towards your state pension is no requirement or advantage from what I have seen. I hope I have that right?
We're not finding it easy to get information in Switzerland. It's either very secretive or consulting fees are required.
beanie

Post by beanie »

I have done the move out of Switzerland with a pension to an EU country. I was able to take out much of my pillar 2 in cash. A certain portion of it I can only access when I am of retirement age and this was moved to a vested benefits account within Switzerland.

My HR department was very helpful with this - the accounting department arranged for the cash portion to be paid out to me and for the other portion to be moved to a vested account.

Sorry, I do not remember the exact percentage of what I was able to withdraw, but it was definitely the majority - possibly around 75%.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@TeacherGal

Generally citizenship isnt required to collect your pension, though you will likely have the opportunity at some point to obtain citizenship.

There generally arent restrictions on where you can reside and still claim your pension, though banking issues might present a barrier.