Skills and Responsibilities of a teacher?

shadowjack

Re: Skills and Responsibilities of a teacher?

Post by shadowjack »

Honestly, I hesitated to weigh in on this, but after reading all this, my initial reaction still stands. This is so basic, why do you have to ask? Unless you are the type that needs everything clarified to the nth degree to follow those magic steps that will land the position?

No offence intended, but this is just sort of a weird type of question from my perspective. How is it that you don't really know your skills and responsibilities. Perhaps talk about differentiation, about PBL, about UBD?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@SJ

Many DTs dont keep track of those tasks, dont document or log their practice and dont readily implement SOTA meds/peds. They got their job from completing an online application that didnt have a lot of space for free text entry (experience, education, and then check boxes for credential, and right to work in the country). They show up, they read the lesson, copy the handouts, review the unit in the text. When their class arrives they take attendance, then they lecture about it for 20 minutes and then have kids work individually or in groups, lather, rinse and repeat. Differentiation means asking if the SPED/SEN/LD students understand, and maybe explaining it again if they dont. DTs really dont have the coin for projects much less PBL based learning. What project is the maths DT going to do that they are going to get approval to do or fund out of their $200 classroom budget, open book, demo the proof, have a couple students demo the proof, students do X problems from the book, any questions, test/quiz, moving on.

I've had numerous DTs when confronted with the question "what do you do", "describe your practice", etc. Who get this blank look in their eyes, and the honest ones reply "What do you mean what do I do, I arrive on time, I teach, and then I go home".
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Hmmmm...first of all, in my experience, I didn't have a budget because supplies were there for me. When I needed poster paper, I simply went to the resource room and signed out a class or 1/2 class set for use. Students supplied their own pencil crayons etc. Or in other cases, students bought their own poster papar at the art store/Walmart, etc and used it. But there are tons of cheap projects you can do. For instance, a roll end of newprint from the local paper is cheap cheap cheap - and if you plead for education and have the paper come in to present to your class - it can be FREE! :-)
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@SJ

Are you aware there are DTs who dont have a supply room, that dont have supplies, because they are lucky the last round of cutbacks didnt axe their jobs. That they are basically teaching "projects" with copy paper and pencils? That there are parents of DTs students that dont have supplies they can buy their children at Walmart?

Whats a newspaper, or do you mean Apple News on an iDevice?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

@PG - lots of people still read newspapers - just not as many as before.

Local papers are still around and still have roll ends for sale or negotiation...
Lastname_Z

Post by Lastname_Z »

When I haven't gotten the job I took the time to email HR and ask why. Needless to say most don't get back to me but some have taken the time to do it.

Based on that experience... I would agree with Psyguy and Thames Pirate. The main things to put in are the course you teach and maybe a line that describes the school a little (did it have a heavy ELL population, local district, did it have a PBL focus).

After that, I didn't think you should put anything extra unless the position or school's description puts focus on it. E.g. If the school talks about it's pride in an anti-bullying program or talks about SEN accommodation as one of the foundations of the school then put it in.

I know that's exhausting to cater the resume to every position but that's one factor in getting your resume to stand out from 50-70 other people if you don't have any network to pull from.