United World College - Transferring between UWC schools

Lastname_Z

United World College - Transferring between UWC schools

Post by Lastname_Z »

I was wondering if anyone has experience with this. I'm debating whether I should explore UWC as an option. They are obviously great schools, but some are in less desirable locations.

I already work in a less desirable location so I would be okay with continuing this with UWC if it meant going to a UWC in a more desirable location. So with that said, does anyone know how easy or hard it is to move between UWC schools? Is there much communication between them?
fine dude

Re: United World College - Transferring between UWC schools

Post by fine dude »

Having worked at one of the desirable locations, each has its own criteria although prior UWC experience works strongly in your favor. However, it also depends on your track record, your personal status (if you're in early 30s and single), and British/Canadian teaching experience can also be advantageous at some locations.
eion_padraig

Re: United World College - Transferring between UWC schools

Post by eion_padraig »

They are not networked in the sense you mean - not the way that Dulwich College or QSI schools are networked. Besides a place like UWC SEA, which does have two campuses, they operate independently. I was interviewing with one last year and talking with the director of the school he made it pretty clear that even though there are philosophical things that connect them (plus the Davis money that helps out their graduates) there are big differences in how they operate.

There are conferences or meetings at times between the various schools, though I'm not sure how often and how is doing that. I have friends working at some of the UWC locations and I have heard them talk about them in passing.

Now, I'd imagine that previous experience at another UWC could help you out it's not like transferring between different locations of a school, but I wouldn't suggest taking a job at one so you could work at another UWC later.

Eion
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

It doesnt work that way. UWC isnt like QSI where its one organization with multiple campuses. Its more like Multiple ISs that are 'franchises' of a larger enterprise, but are independent of one another. Of course the leadership knows each other from the different campuses and a ref from one will at least get looked at by the others. They have shared ethos and philosophy so if you fit in at one, its reasonable youd fit in at others. You have to apply independently however as you would with any IS and go through the recruitment process, there is no transfer ability between UWC ISs, you can not, unlike DODDS use an appointment in a less desirable location to get into a more desirable location.