Saudi Arabia

MINCGA

Saudi Arabia

Post by MINCGA »

Saudi Arabia doesn't seem to have the best reputation as a place to live for foreigners. Anyone have any experience, or know someone that has worked in KSA? Specifically, I'm looking at KAUST so I'd be living on a large compound, which by all accounts looks very nice.
Nomad68

Re: Saudi Arabia

Post by Nomad68 »

Saudi us not as bad as all that. I would prefer it to China. It is better than Kuwait imho. Better for single males than single females though. KAUST is tough to get into. Very selective. Ask on the paid site side for details. Saudi would not be for your first IS experience nor your first ME experience. Oman and the UAE would be preferable for those.
speedracer

Post by speedracer »

In Saudi right now but in the Eastern Province (Dhahran)

Saudi is never going to be a destination spot, but we don't mind really. THe best part is that as a teaching couple we will be saving $60-70K without breaking a sweat.

Compound living is great for families with young kids, and for us Bahrain is just a causeway away.

It really depends on the school. Some are pretty good, so are outright awful. Post on the member forum for more details.

The best thing to do if you are interested in Saudi is to have an exit plan. Decide how long you want to be there so you don't get golden handcuffs.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

If your going to the ME and the Kingdom you have to have a mercenary laser focus on the coin, its the only reason to go. Get in, bank your coin, and get out. The rest of the ME is poo, Id much rather be in China (outside of Beijing) than the Kingdom or the ME.

As for review and evaluation type of information you will need to post on the member (paid) forum.
sid

Post by sid »

I have several sets of friends who loved Saudi and stayed there for ages. It has plenty to offer, and not just money, for someone with an open mind.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Sid

How long must one keep an open mind before your brains fall out? I also know grown men who like crawling around in a diaper while on a leash, in which case a pet store and a diaper depot have "plenty to offer", but for those more around the mean/mode/median of the curve, no it really, really doesnt.

Lets be honest, ITs go to the ME because they are either starting out and cant do better or their late int heir career and need to bank some coin too pad their retirement. The rest are there because the coin is good and the expectations are very low, you dont have to be a great, or a good, or even a so-so IT to get buy and collect your coin in the ME. Smile go through the motions and hand out high marks and EVERYONE will love you and think your the best. Its where ITs go who cant work anywhere else.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

@PG - your opinion - and not true. Been there done that and it was a very positive experience. You can have opinions and believe them facts. Others opinions and believed facts are very different than yours.
sid

Post by sid »

@PG I also know grown men who like crawling around in a diaper while on a leash

Your friends sound more, hmm, how to say... “interesting” than mine. LOL
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

OOH - I just noticed PG's last line - "It's where IT's go who can't work anywhere else"

I spent years there - and yet every time I go recruiting I get multiple offers. I guess I "can't work anywhere else" though...

Again, opinion masquerading as fact. Most of my friends and colleagues from Saudi are at Tier 1 or high Tier 2 schools. But of course, they can't work anywhere else either.

Biased any?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@sid

Never stated they were friends, maybe your projecting?

@SJ

Never stated it was anything more than my opinion, and it is true, in so much its as true as your experiences and opinion are. There are no alternative facts.

Your confusing the different characteristics as one category, they are not, they are several. Youre in the group that likely goes for the coin.
Yes Im biased, so are you, and so is every other opinion expressed in the forum.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

LOL - I took a huge paycut to go to Saudi - but went for the experience and funny how when you take a risk good things happen? By the end the paycut wasn't a paycut and life was good until it was time to go.

When I moved to my present job last year, I also took a pay cut. No regrets though - I can always make money. But the experiences I've had and friends I've made are worth more than the paycuts I've taken over the years -and strangely enough, this one seems to be moving towards being not a paycut after all... Funny how that works :-)

One thing I will say about Saudi, though, is that everybody has an expiry date in the Kingdom. There are no lifers.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@SJ

So you ended up not taking a pay cut and got the coin. Happy you agree with me; get in, get the coin, and get out.
MINCGA

Post by MINCGA »

That devolved pretty quickly, but I really do appreciate the opinions from those that have spent time or know those that have. I too have 1 IT friend that says NO WAY and another that says GO FOR IT! Based on all available research I've been able to do the "no way" friend seems to be the outlier.
Psychometrika

Post by Psychometrika »

I've known some folks to actually enjoy their time in Saudi while saving tons of cash (they worked at ARAMCO). Definitely not for everyone, but you can say that about most places. I would never go back to Kuwait unless truly desperate, but Saudi would be a possibility for me.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

No PG - I took the pay cut. But after a few years, got some nice raises and pay cut was no more. Interesting how you assume everything has to be about coin, though :-)