How soon to start with SEARCH

splendid

How soon to start with SEARCH

Post by splendid »

I have a very specialized position I am seeking. I am currently in my first year of a 2 year contract. I would like to sign up for SEARCH again to be aware of positions for the 2019/20 school year. I know it may be unlikely right now for those to be posted, but there might be something posted starting early summer. What is the earliest you would sign up again? Also, would my current school see my information, to know I was doing this?
Thanks!
expatscot

Re: How soon to start with SEARCH

Post by expatscot »

Your contract with your current school will have guidelines on how and when you need to let them know you're not staying - though that said, the earlier you give notice then the more able the school is to replace you. Most schools won't know their full staffing requirement for 2019/20 until around November 2018, so there is still a huge amount of time for you.

What I would do just now is start doing some of the admin-type things which you can do to your Search profile without actually reactivating it. Update your CV and schools, look at your references (could you add a parent one, for example?) and even have a chat with your associate or one of his people about what the best thing might be.

I would tell the school within the first couple of weeks of the new year in August of your intentions. That way, you can get your Search profile live (your head will need to give a new reference for you) and start looking from then. Before that time, TBH, I'm not sure it's worth it.)
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

You should start by letting your admin know in June that you are going to reactivate with Search - not necessarily to search for a job, but to get a sense for what might be out there. Ask your admin if they would be a reference from Search, line up some parents, send them the request via your Search page (you can actually do both of those things now, without reactivating) and then when you start to reactivate, that's all done.

Then contact your Associate in early August and reactivate. Done.
splendid

Post by splendid »

Thanks, Shadowjack!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Id register as soon as you felt comfortable, early summer wouldnt be unreasonable. Some very esoteric vacancies can have long lead times for recruiting. An equestrian position I worked with took a couple of years. Id advise your admin before you started so it wasnt a surprise to them and you will need a reference anyway. Understand though this might have consequences youve basically told your leadership you arent a long term investment. The benefit might be that you find one maybe two early vacancies.
seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

Let your school know in June and get the ball rolling during the summer.