Parking Teaching License in New Jersey

sdakota

Parking Teaching License in New Jersey

Post by sdakota »

Hi all,

I want to park my Virginia teaching license to New Jersey so I can have the lifetime license. However, I only have two years of teaching experience at the end of this year. There have been some changes to the NJ requirements, and I can't for the life of me figure out if NJ wants three years of teaching experience or not.

Here's how it's worded: "Require evidence of effective teaching in 2 of 3 years within the last 4 to earn standard certificate through reciprocity."

What do you all think?

Here's the link: http://www.state.nj.us/education/educat ... icense.htm

Thanks for any and all opinions.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its still two years. The change is that those two years had to have been within 3 consecutive years and they also have to have been recent enough that they were also within the last 4 years. This essentially means you cant have been out of the classroom more than one year.
The only scenario that would not be acceptable, given 2 years of service, is where the IT taught in the first of the four years and the fourth of 4 years, as its more than 1 year (a total of 2 years) between experience (as its more than 3 consecutive years).

It should be noted though that the CE and CEAS are also lifetime credentials.
rake

Re: Parking Teaching License in New Jersey

Post by rake »

I'm reading it as you must have taught two years full-time out of a three year span. In the event someone didn't teach for two consecutive years due to medical or maternity leave, or because of a change in locations or positions midway through a school year, they wouldn't be penalized.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@rake

Thats exactly the position that isnt permitted. If a teacher taught in year 1, then was out of teaching because of illness, injury, change in location for 2 years and then taught in year 4, year 1 of experience and year 4 of experience are not in the same 3 consecutive years. They would not be eligible for the standard credential. The experience combinations that are acceptable (in any 4 year span of experience) are teaching experience in
Years:
1&2
2&3
3&4
1&3
2&4
Experience in years 1&4 would not be acceptable. Essentially, no more than a one year gap in experience.
rake

Post by rake »

rake wrote:
> I'm reading it as you must have taught two years full-time out of a three
> year span. In the event someone didn't teach for two consecutive years due
> to medical or maternity leave, or because of a change in locations or
> positions midway through a school year, they wouldn't be penalized.

My meaning was that if someone was unable to teach a second year immediately after their first year (year 1 and 2), but had taught full-time two out of three (year 1 and 3), they would be OK. Hope that clears it up!
National

Post by National »

A word of warning — NJ seems to be tightening up the process of certification. I moved my certificate to them three years ago with no problem. I had three years in a US school before moving abroad and my certification was current. My husband moved his a year later and it was very difficult. He kept having to submit the paperwork again because it wasn’t perfect. His teaching experience was all international. A colleague is currently trying to move hers to NJ and she’s been told that they won’t accept any overseas teaching to meet the requirements. So, from my experience, the process seems to be changing, or it isn’t set and it depends on who you talk to. One thing that is nice, however, is that they are quite responsive and will reply to email questions pretty quickly..

Good luck.
sdakota

Post by sdakota »

That's a bummer, National. I'll still try it to see if it will work. If NJ is no longer on the table, I can go through CA or MO if I really need to.
caesar

Post by caesar »

I'm also interested on where to park a license. I have 2 years of IT experience (ESL) and I'm currently in a MAT program (for Social Studies). I'll be graduating in May with certification and already have a Social Studies IT position lined up.
sdakota

Post by sdakota »

Some bad news coming out of Missouri. I just received an email from their department of education stating:

"Four years of teaching experience is needed to go from an Initial to a Career level teaching certificate in Missouri. International experience, however, can only be counted if one is working at a US military base under a DoDea certificate. Thank you for your inquiry."

Really hope NJ is still on the table. Otherwise there will be no easy way to park certification anymore.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@National

NJ is changeing but IE experience isnt going away, its just in a period of flux where they havent figured out exactly what they will and wont accept from IE. Its gotten complicated for them.

@sdakota

NJ will still be a prime location to parking a cert, because its essentially failproof. While the various credential requirements are changing, even if you dont qualify for the standard credential the CEAS requires no experience whatsoever thus making the issue of IE or DE experience moot, and the CEAS is still a lifetime credential that doesnt require PD or renewal and still authorizes the holder to provide instructional services without limitation or restriction in the regulated DE system. The TCL will accept it for QTS.
MO is really only a viable alternative if you can get the career credential and its more work than NJ, and the process of transitioning from the initial to the career is only slightly less work than the CA preliminary credential. Its only viable for those with Doctorates and those who can get the career credential to start with which is more work than NJ.

@caesar

If you dont have a professional educator credential and youve been in ESOL for 2 years you werent an IT, you were an ET, regardless its not experience thats applicable in IE. At this time you would have two options (you can do both):

1) The easiest since you only have a single teaching area (potentially 2 if you add ESOL) would be to apply for QTS. The process takes 15 minutes at most and the credential is issued within a couple of weeks. QTS is a lifetime credential that does not require PD or renewal.
2) Apply for the NJ CEAS credential, this is also a lifetime credential that does not require renewal. At most you will have to complete a PRAXIS exam. There is no experience requirement.

In two years you would be in a position to apply for the CA CLEAR credential assuming you add an ESOL endorsement from whatever regulatory authority is going to issue your credential.