When will age be a factor for hiring teachers/admin?

TeacherGal

When will age be a factor for hiring teachers/admin?

Post by TeacherGal »

Is there an age when recruiters start to shy away from hiring teachers? Does the same apply to hiring administrators/leaders at any level?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

You need to be seated where you plan to retire out around your early 50s for an IT, late 50s for leadership. Its much harder doing the casting call in IE once you get to 50.
shadowjack

Re: When will age be a factor for hiring teachers/admin?

Post by shadowjack »

I think it depends on what you want and your situation. I am not situated in my final school by any means, and I am on the cusp of starting to age out. There are great places which hire, but its up to you to determine your fit (great for me might not be great for you) and you need to look at the age policy, if any.

I plan to continue teaching as long as I can - I still enjoy what I do, my students still learn lots and I am compensated reasonably well...
interteach

Re: When will age be a factor for hiring teachers/admin?

Post by interteach »

For countries where teachers can still get a work visa/permit over 55+ a strong teacher in that range is viable. In a shortage area extremely viable. As in many situations, it comes down to qualification and the overall shape of a school's recruiting season.