Another "what should I do" post

idonteven

Another "what should I do" post

Post by idonteven »

Hi again ISR,

Here's the cliff notes of my situation/goals:

-First-year teacher, age 30, unrelated degree, completed Teach-Now a little over a month ago, got my certification in MS Math (5-9).

-Currently teaching in an NYC charter school where I also did my TN field experience. Was initially hired as a full-time sub, but as of a couple weeks ago they hired me as a teacher (5th grade).

-Recently took and passed the 7-12 math content praxis, so as soon as I take and pass the 7-12 PLT I will be certified for secondary maths.

-More or less unhappy with the current situation - would like to move into IE sooner rather than later if possible, though I am wary of not having the standard 2 years experience.

-----------

Here's the not-so-cliff-notes:

Not everything at my current school is bad. The other teachers are mostly friendly and supportive, and I've learned a lot. So why am I eager to leave?

-Student behavior is bad. The 6th grade students were actually much easier to deal with for some reason, but since they've moved me to 5th grade after getting certified I'm having problems with them. See 'MS vs. HS' for more on this below.

-Stupid hours/demands from admin. I am a little hesitant to write about this because a) I don't expect teaching to be an easy job, and b) I realize it's common for first-year teachers to struggle to some extent. Pretty much every teacher I've talked to has negative things to say about their dean/principal, everyone is always exhausted, and half of them have confided either explicitly or implicitly that they are on their way out. A lot of it is really stupid stuff too, like my dean called me out of class in the middle of a lesson I was teaching to have a meeting. The urgent thing she needed to tell me was that I needed to re-submit my lesson plans (which are always required 2 weeks in advance) because there was too much white space and they were trying to reduce the number of copies needed to be made. If it was just advice going forward, that would be fine, but I actually had to remove the white space for the plans we were already working on that week and resubmit.

Another recent example, a couple weeks ago I received an e-mail at 3:15am (on a school day) from my dean saying that instead of going to the school, she wanted me to attend a PD meeting at one of our sister schools that day. The school was in a completely different part of the city, and they expected me to respond and change my plans accordingly for *that day*. Of course, I happened to be up working on lesson plans anyway so I saw it in time, but it's just insane to me I would get something like that on such short notice.

Other than that, I'm getting paid a little over $40k/year which goes nowhere in NYC, and I have a 50 minute commute each way. Supposedly it's a nice city but I wouldn't know because I never get the chance to see it, other than the subway and my school.

-MS vs. HS: I was originally leaning towards wanting to teach HS math, but ended up getting MS math certification first because I don't have a traditional math background via university studies (basically everything after Algebra I learned through my own curiosity through Khan Academy/YouTube/other online resources). I felt I could probably teach HS math but didn't want to have any doubts about content stuff since I'd already have my hands full with other aspects of being a new teacher, so I started with MS.

After getting MS certified I was sort of hoping I'd get a grade closer to HS, but of course I had to go where they needed me. I actually didn't mind 6th grade too much, but 5th grade - in particular the 5th grade ICT class - it just feels like an age/maturity threshold where I have trouble connecting to the students, particularly in an inner-city environment.

I recently took and passed the 7-12 math praxis and it was easier than I expected, kind of wish I had just taken that in the first place. Live and learn I guess. In addition to being an age group I would be more comfortable with, I know it also gives me some more utility in IE than the 5-9 cert.

So, I'm obviously planning on finishing the current school year where I'm at. But given all the other factors, I'm trying to decide if I should try to jump into IE sooner rather than later (which I would prefer, all things being equal).

Possible options:

1) stick it out and do my 2 years here: I don't know if this counts as a full year since I was technically a sub until halfway through the year, but I don't see myself staying more than 1 additional year after this in any scenario...

2) look for other DS opportunities to finish out my standard 2 years in the US. Being in NYC maybe I could even find a place to get IB experience.

3) start looking far and wide for opportunities in IE ASAP.

I am pretty open to the vast majority of locations including most hardship regions including China. My preference would be LCSA/SEA but would consider spots in China/ME as well depending on the school.

Thoughts, advice?
chiliverde

Re: Another "what should I do" post

Post by chiliverde »

My opinion tends to start at the same place for all of these kinds of posts - why not look? Instead of wondering how marketable you are right now, put yourself out there and see. To do that though, you will also have to convince yourself that you are marketable and be able to tell recruiters why. Then, when and if you get some interesting offers, you can make your decision. It sounds like you are eager to get into IE, so I say start the process, with a pretty clear idea in mind of what you are looking for and what you will/won't accept in a position.

Good luck!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Agree with CV.

At the same time, you should realize that unless you have some 'cred', being parachuted into classes halfway through the year is ALWAYS a struggle until you become the alpha in the room. Remember - if these students have gone through/driven out a teacher already (or think they have, since the teacher is no longer there), they are likely to test. Kids want certainty and acceptance. And they will push the boundaries.

If students are not conforming to the behaviours required for you to run an effective classroom, discipline them. Learn the school discipline code by heart. Use it. Never be vindicative - always be matter of fact. Never argue - if a kid is non-compliant and won't comply, your discipline code should have a next step. Simply move them on. It can take months to get your classes straightened, but, once straightened you will have cred and won't have to deal with much in coming years. But it IS exhausting (been there done that, effectively).

Good luck with your choice! (BTW - if you play video games or are a music buff and follow today's music, start dropping references and up your cred rating - but don't BS. I can talk COD and OW because I play them - not because I saw a trailer. And kids love it that their old geezer teacher plays and listens - although at first they have trouble believing it (until I can answer their questions on how to wrap a section, or strats for a map)).
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I differ from the prior contributors at least partially (more on that later).

1) Its a maturation threshold, 5th year students still behave like kids and 6th year students have that tween mind set, they are moving from the top of one strata to the bottom of the next.

2) You teach in a NYC charter, however bad it is as you move on this is likely to be as bad as youll ever experience, so if you can hack this youre probably going to be okay short of an active shooter scenario or an indictment.

3) it sounds like your more unhappy than less unhappy with the situation. If you need artificially sustained self esteem try alcohol and pills.

4) Pain and suffering are pretty effective teachers. Being not all bad, doesnt mean any part of it is good.

5) Youre Dean is stupid, Stupid leadership is everywhere, IE has no shortage of professionally deficient leadership. Its not that they are ALL stupid, its that they are taking educators and giving them the equivalent of management for dummies and expecting them to be fortune 500 executives. Almost everything in DE/IE leadership is reactionary, and improperly resourced. Its basically fumbling along making mistakes and learning from them, the good ones get their mistakes in early.

Id have pretended not to get the message in time, get to your DS and then take the slow lazy route past the Starbucks with the cute barista to get to the sister DS for the meeting whenever. Whats REALLY insane is working on lesson plans at 3am.

6) Not like you could afford to see much in the city on USD$40K/yr.

7) I think I recall writing that you could probably do the Maths 7-12 exam without any real studying.

So back to my disagreement with the prior contributors:

If you can stay with your current DS or a nearby DS with a better environment in DE and get into an SLL course or closer to it, it will be HIGHLY to your benefit to do so, because doing so will give you upper secondary/SLL experience but with SLL you will have demonstrated performance. It would be better to do that over the course of one more year as opposed to doing so over the course of two years in some bottom third tier IS.
Your current year counts as full year, you just need to present it to recruiters and leadership that way. How you end is what matters not how you start.

Where I agree with the prior contributors is that there is nothing hurt by looking and if you find a decent IS thats willing to hire you than you have options you can weigh later. Nothing about option 3 is meaningful if no one in IE is interested or the ISs that are you arent interested in. Aside from that i would focus on low cost resources such as TIE and TES and avoid a premium agency such as SA or ISS, though even then the recruiting contract times of those agencies is multi year so paying now for membership will just give you earlier access than when you are actively seeking for 2019 it wont cost you more.
idonteven

Post by idonteven »

Thanks for the input everyone, much appreciated.

@chiliverde:

Applying seems like reasonable advice, would you also go the TIE route in my spot? Assuming I can’t get into Search/ISS…is it worth also e-mailing schools with my resume and inquiring about openings? And if the answer to the latter is yes, I still have to create some kind of list with schools that fall somewhere in the intersection of ‘where I’d like to go’ and ‘where I realistically have a shot at getting in’, which still requires some pre-assessment of how marketable I am.

I’ve tried to sit down and make a list of what I would/wouldn’t accept, the problem is all my criteria is conditional. I won’t accept A…unless there’s B, then I’ll accept A. For example, I might as a general rule say no to Saudi/Kuwait schools, but I would probably go to either one if there was some potential for solid savings + curriculum experience. I would take positions at schools in LCSA/SEA with little to no savings potential, as long as I can get curriculum experience and the schools don’t have a terrible reputation…But even this varies based on stuff like what kind of housing is provided (I’m not picky but I don’t want to be sharing bunk beds in a college-style dorm). I’m leaving out places like Europe/Japan because I assume they’re a non-starter.

Since my requirements are fluid and IE seems to have every shade of grey out there, it’s hard to do the exercise of listing my requirements upfront.

@shadowjack:

Thanks for the advice. Part of the problem is that if I were to actually follow the school discipline code, half the class would be getting suspended. The dean is supportive in this regard in terms of “dealing with”/suspending students who are particularly out of line after the fact, but the problem is when the classroom gets out of control *in the moment* and I can’t get them settled down to the minimum point where the students who want to learn can actually learn. I’ve tried shouting, stubbornly soldiering on with the lesson hoping the students will settle down, turning the lights off, saying nothing and “waiting” for them to calm down…Nothing really seems to work. I feel really bad for the ones who are trying to learn.

I connect with some of them talking about basketball, I think it makes some of them like me more but it doesn’t really help with their behavior.

@PsyGuy:

1) Agreed
2) This is my hope and the silver lining, I suppose.

7) Actually I’ve taken and passed the 7-12 Math exam (since getting hired at my current school). I haven’t taken the 7-12 PLT though.

What’s SLL? I was so sure I had the acronyms down :\ The school I’m at doesn’t have any valuable curriculum experience (just CCore) but they are data/exam-obsessed. If I can show growth from the students’ expected state exam scores to their actual state exam scores, does that mean anything in IE? Or do they only care about IB/AP/IGCSE/etc.?

In addition TIE/TES, do you think it's worth e-mailing schools my resume individually?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

idonteven

Here are some follow up questions.

1.Do you ever contact home? When I had a student discipline issue and had to set a detention, I always called home around teatime (in the UK, it's when you catch the parents at home) - so around 6 PM.

2. I never ever blamed the child. I simply told the parent what had happened, that I had given their son the choice of gettingto work or having to serve a detention, and they didn't get to work, so I have to set them a detention. At a rough school, I never once had a parent complain I was being unfair. But then, I simply described what happened with no connotative language or blaming the student - just this happened, this happened, this happened, so I have to set a detention.

3. It can also help to set detentions as "learning opportunities" for the student. IE Johnny needs to come in after school tomorrow because I noticed in class he had trouble focusing, and after direct questioning it was clear he hadn't learned what he needs to know. Is that a problem?" When students hear you present it that way, and ask the rhetorical question, "What parent doesn't want their child to be successful?", then it can often change their thinking about what the parent might or might not support (especially once you have had several students in after school already).

4. Another idea - if you have a colleague with a prep class, see if you can work out an arrangement where they take your worse student (one) for a class, and on your prep, you take their worst. The student does the work in the other classroom isolated from distractions and unable to distract others.

These are just ideas, but things I have done or seen done in the past. In the end, as the teacher, it is up to you to maintain order. If that isn't working, and students are not showing up for detentions or "learning experiences" despite parental support, you need to enlist your admin as part of the solution. If they can't help you, after outlining all YOU have done (admin hate being the first line of defense, and it sends a message about you if they are), then you are getting a pretty clear message too.

Hope that helps,

check out TIEonline - there are schools out there who would hire you.
idonteven

Post by idonteven »

shadowjack wrote:
> idonteven
>
> Here are some follow up questions.
>
> 1.Do you ever contact home? When I had a student discipline issue and had to set
> a detention, I always called home around teatime (in the UK, it's when you catch
> the parents at home) - so around 6 PM.
>
> 2. I never ever blamed the child. I simply told the parent what had happened, that
> I had given their son the choice of gettingto work or having to serve a detention,
> and they didn't get to work, so I have to set them a detention. At a rough school,
> I never once had a parent complain I was being unfair. But then, I simply described
> what happened with no connotative language or blaming the student - just this happened,
> this happened, this happened, so I have to set a detention.
>
> 3. It can also help to set detentions as "learning opportunities" for the student.
> IE Johnny needs to come in after school tomorrow because I noticed in class he had
> trouble focusing, and after direct questioning it was clear he hadn't learned what
> he needs to know. Is that a problem?" When students hear you present it that way,
> and ask the rhetorical question, "What parent doesn't want their child to be successful?",
> then it can often change their thinking about what the parent might or might not
> support (especially once you have had several students in after school already).
>
> 4. Another idea - if you have a colleague with a prep class, see if you can work
> out an arrangement where they take your worse student (one) for a class, and on
> your prep, you take their worst. The student does the work in the other classroom
> isolated from distractions and unable to distract others.
>
> These are just ideas, but things I have done or seen done in the past. In the end,
> as the teacher, it is up to you to maintain order. If that isn't working, and students
> are not showing up for detentions or "learning experiences" despite parental support,
> you need to enlist your admin as part of the solution. If they can't help you, after
> outlining all YOU have done (admin hate being the first line of defense, and it
> sends a message about you if they are), then you are getting a pretty clear message
> too.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> check out TIEonline - there are schools out there who would hire you.

1. I have, and it was very helpful with one student in particular. Not so much with a couple others. It's something I should try more though. I've also called a few who I've been unable to reach.

2-3. I always figured calling the child's parents was implicitly blaming the child for something. I ask the parent to 'have a talk with their child' about whatever issues I addressed in the phone call but I don't think I come off as angry/demeaning. I don't really even like yelling at the students, but everyone tells me that's what these kids are used to and I need to yell at them *shrug*. I haven't had any parent complaints yet, but I've only been in this class about a month so I'm sure they will come.

The only detention I can give them is lunch detention, and some of them are in there daily and don't even mind it (a couple may even prefer it to the regular lunch room). There's no after school detention, all the students have to leave the building at dismissal (aside from basketball practice or some other school-mandated activity). I would love to have even 15 minutes to work with some of these kids in a smaller group setting after school, or any time really.

4. Yep, we do this. We just send students over during each other's class hours though, it doesn't have to be during preps. Sometimes it works. Sometimes the student refuses to go and continues disrupting class, which I have no real recourse for in the moment, other than contacting admin - who may or may not be busy with something else.

Thanks for the suggestions
crypticvenus

Post by crypticvenus »

Hi I just wanted to say if you can, stay the additional year and use this as an opportunity to fine tune your classroom management skills and to also offer some suggestions on the behavior.

Prior to my first year of teaching I worked as a TA at a school for students with behavioral problems. I pull a lot from that experience to be proactive in my classroom management. The first thing that I do is to set up my classroom to allow for multiple types of interaction. I set up a table in the back for small group interactions and I have one desk that is isolated (bounded on three sides, but bright and attractive). I have a teacher’s desk positioned to the back of students and at this point my students should know that if I’m sitting there it is to collect behavioral data, if warranted.

Next, I make sure that the classroom rules (students create them with guidance) are visible and that students and parents are aware of the classroom expectations and procedures. I include the expectations on my syllabus, send the procedures and rules home with students for parents to sign off on, and I explicitly teach them to the students. I give a quiz and the students have to demonstrate they know the classroom expectations, procedures, and rules and the consequences for not being in alignment with them. This way nothing is personal or reactive, it’s simply the business of classroom management.

I tend to handle my discipline in class. I have a Google form that I keep track of behavioral incidents and I have it set to email parents their copy. If the behavior warrants, I tag the principal and school counselor in the email. At times I just email it to myself for my own records if it does not require notifying the parent. Note: This form also has a section for positive behavior because parents like getting those reports every now and then.

If I were you, I would set up a meeting with the behavioral specialist to get input and arrange for classroom observations. If there is no behaviorist available to the school then speak with the guidance counselor or a special education teacher for suggestions. I would also institute a classwide PBIS program and work on building a classwide relationship, I wouldn’t single out individual students for relationship building but rather come to an understanding with the class as a whole. In all things, make sure that decisions are evidence-based and in alignment with district policy and that you maintain a record of your evidence, just in case.

My background is SPED so I may approach things a little differently. Also African-American female and students may view me a little differently as well.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Great advice crypticvenus. I have used some of those approaches as warrented also. Love the Google Docs one - might have to steal it!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@idonteven

SLL = School Leaving Level, IGCSE, GCSE, A*, CPU, AP, IB, EB (Matura, Bac, Abitur, etc.).

No they wont care about those scores but the experience in teaching Calc, Alg, Trig, Stat in upper secondary is very valuable (especially Calc).

If the IS has a vacancy than yes its work applying directly. If its a cold application than no, though you might if all the planets are aligned then it might lead to something somewhere and sometime.
TIE is cheap enough that there isnt a reason to not register, there is no vetting process.

I would suggest taking a piece of paper and making three columns. In the first column list your priorities and give them a score of 1 too 3. In the second column list your detractors and number them -1 too -3 (you can also use 1 too 5, but I like 1 too 3 because most ITs have more priorities (wants) than detractors ), in the final column list your deal breakers, issues you will walk away from alone (there should be very few of these). Then when your looking at an IS and its potential you can create a score for that IS and use it to compare to other ISs. Right now you are qualifying different attributes and by quantifying them you will simplify the comparative ana1ysis.