Exodus from Germany

shawanda

Exodus from Germany

Post by shawanda »

I have never seen so many openings in Germany during one recruiting season. Anyone have thoughts on why?
shadylane

Re: Exodus from Germany

Post by shadylane »

Brexit
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

With bleak prospects on home turf and in the EU, Brits are racing for jobs in Asia, which means increased competition for folks from N.America and else where.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Lots of new schools popping up in Germany. Also, many of them have become complacent and stopped being fun places to work, so teachers move on. High taxes add to that. And just an odd year.

I don't think there is any particular reason. Just a natural swing.
GLOBAL_TEACHER

Post by GLOBAL_TEACHER »

Because Germany is depressing!
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Uh, what? It's not for everyone (as is true of any place), but teachers who come to Germany actually know what they are signing up for just as with any country. Your personal preferences may not lead you to Germany, but I would hope international teachers could be a bit more open minded. That is not a constructive response to the thread, just a chance for you to slam a place. I personally could never teach in places with high pollution, but I do not come on threads about China to blast them for no real reason. I just know my preferences and ignore the threads that are irrelevant, share my opinion when relevant, etc.

Crikey, I hope you don't have German students in your classroom.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

One good thing about Germany is stability as opposed to other countries in the EU or else where. Not sure if you could say the same about Singapore or Thailand. If you are fired in Singapore, you will have 2-4 weeks to find a new job or else you're out.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

But Fine Dude, at least you will have great weather and ambiance while you do so! (said tongue-in-cheek) :-)
Fstop

Post by Fstop »

I currently live and teach in Germany but we are leaving after this academic year. The reason? It's very very expensive here! Housing is not a benefit that most schools give so nearly half my salary is taken up for rent. If you are single with no dependents or a teaching couple then you should have no problem living here and saving a bit but if you have one or more dependents it's quite difficult. The weather does make things depressing, but it's mostly financial reasons that we are leaving.

However, there are also very good things about living in Germany:

-Job security (most schools give tenure after 2 years)
-Fresh air
-Great infrastructure
-Cheap (and very good!) wine, beer and cheese (especially compared to Asia)
-Public transit that is very efficient
-Daycare is free
-The government actually pays you to have kids (around 200 Euros per month for each child)
-Excellent travel opportunities
-Beautiful public parks and playgrounds
-It's very safe

So come to Germany....if you can afford it.
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

Are bilingual (German-English) schools free or private/fee in Germany? Put another way, are any free?
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

There are many.
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

Many thanks @ThamesPirate. Given that free school places in ISs in Germany are a taxable bonus if I managed to get a job there, schooling for my kids would be a major consideration. Personally I think its a great country and just wish we were ready to move there.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Fstop made good points. I'd add mature locals, no scamsters /fraudulent taxi drivers, and dual pricing like SE Asia, which means a hassle-free life lived with dignity, safe and green neighborhoods for kids to grow up, and you can always look forward to a great trip during major breaks. With proper research, if you can get a reasonable mortgage (paid off in 10 years), you can enjoy good retirement with assured pension and decent personal savings. Even getting permanent residency is a doable option. If I had to go back to Europe, Germany and Switzerland will be high on my list.

And to shadowjack's weather complaint, Germany ain't Scandinavia, you just have to bear with 3 months of gray skies which isn't all that bad.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Well . . . . that depends. Munich is sunnier than Hamburg, for example!

Depending on the ages of your kids and the city, the local system can be an option. There are also private schools that are very affordable (there have been teachers who work at a big IS and send their kids to Phorms, for example). If they are young, you can also just put them in the local system; they will learn the language and adapt quickly.

Housing prices are what gets most people in Germany. Berlin is relatively inexpensive compared to most major cities in WE, but the schools are concentrated in the expensive parts of town. Munich and Hamburg are very expensive, while smaller cities such as Cologne or Bremen are not. Also, people coming from the US or places in Asia where they can afford huge apartments or houses with yards are surprised when they have to pay a lot to have a house with a yard. I knew a lady who wanted a full time nanny from before work to bedtime every day. Well, labor laws would make it tough to find someone to work 80 hours/week (and seriously, who wants to pay rent to just go home and sleep?)

Most locals live on a lot less than most ISs pay, so if you can't make it work, the issue is likely your lifestyle and expectations; that said, locals don't generally fly around the world to see family for Christmas. Just some things to keep in mind in terms of expectations. It is a good idea to research average rent prices, etc. before you commit to expensive destinations such as WE. However, as with any destination, doing one's homework can make the experience much more rewarding.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I concur with the previous contributors, and would add that there are a number of changes to collective bargaining agreements that made advantages and disadvantages for certain groups of DTs/ITs.

I dont think Germany is depressing at all, but its not for everyone, and I disagree with @Thames Pirate that every IT knows what they are getting into.

Germany like most parts of WE is very expensive and has high taxes (though those taxes get you benefits). Most IS packages do not come with a housing benefit and housing can be very pricey. ITs with expectations of large houses with yards as @Thames Pirate discussed are extremely expensive in the city and most ITs cant afford that expectation.
I would disagree that ITs make more than the average German national, ITs make about as much as DTs, though its harder to enter the teaching field in Germany than it is in some western regions (such as the UK and US). Spending about half your discretionary coin is what typical housing (by EU standards) costs are going to be.

In reply to some of the benefits that @Fstop listed:

- Tenure is typically available in most of the EU regions between 1-2 years and there are less expensive places than Germany.
- Fresh air is available in most of the world, not everywhere is Beijing or India.
- Great Infrastructure is common in a lot of the WE, as well as many parts of Asia (JP, SG, HK, etc.)
- Theres pretty cheap and decent beer in lots of parts of Asia. The German brewing methods have largely gone global. Theres better cheese and wine in France and Italy.
- Public Transit is generally very good in all the WE, and some of the best systems are in Asia (JP, SG, HK).
- Daycare is a social benefit in a lot of the WE and NE.
- Yes the government pays you to have kids, but they cost WAY more than 200€/mth.
- There are excellent travel opportunities in all of WE.
Beautiful Parks and playgrounds and greenery is pretty much a WE thing, its not exclusive to Germany.
Most of the WE is very safe.

@Nomad68

Yes there are free Euro Schools that offer international programs in English, there are also bilingual academies in a number of free DSs.
For older students the local DSs are actually a better option with more competitive gymnasiums and Unis.